• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS/GP rifle: Sanity Check?

Slowbalt

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2021
Eastern Canada
Good day all, I am looking for a sanity check on a build I am considering for the winter. I am looking for a sort of jack of all trades, adequate for the purposes below, with an understanding that it will never be as good as a dedicated rig built for a single purpose. I’d like honest and articulable opinions on why this or that is a good idea or not, and what you’d recommend in its place.

What do I need it to do?

I already compete in rimfire PRS, and would like to participate in centerfire events, possibly once or twice a year, mostly for the change of pace and social opportunities. I want a decent rig that will allow me to hit what I am aiming at, help me by having a decent splash, and be soft shooting enough that I will not hate it by the end of the day.

I’d like to take part in Mapleseed (Canada’s version of Appleseed) Known Distance events once they start. So, shooting at (approx.) 4 MOA targets, from 100 to 400 meters, standing, sitting/kneeling, and prone unsupported. I know those will be long days, and by the end a heavy/cumbersome rifle is a genuine chore.

Lastly, I need a general purpose rifle for small game and varmint (specifically coyote) to keep with me as I trek on my land, just taking a break from the city life, or work on improving trails and the like. Again, here a handy and light rifle is beneficial.

What am I looking at?

Currently, the plan is to use a Remington 783 Heavy Barrel Tactical, originally in .308, re-barrel it to 6mmBR with a Carbon IBI barrel, and house it in an MDT XRS. This setup would allow me to add weights and accessories for PRS, and take them out for hunting/trekking or Mapleseed, as needed.

Why build with these parts?

The donor action, a Remington 783 is free as I already own one and is only dead weight at the moment. Must have been fired about 15-20 times in all, and none in the last 3+ years. It seems like an acceptable choice quality wise.

The barrel will be an International Barrels Inc, Alpine Hunter barrel. I choose this barrel as I expect it to be accurate (as IBI barrels are known for), a relative bargain being Canadian, and shaving a lot of weight for the “light” applications, but allowing to load up the gun with weights for PRS.

The stock/chassis is an MDT XRS, which I got for a song. Not the lightest, not the heaviest, but adjustable and easy to add/remove accessories quickly and should accommodate my purposes decently. I already own several accessories for it as the XRS is what I use for rimfire PRS, so both gizmos and familiarity are covered.

The scope is unknown at this time. I own a few optics that would fit one or more purposes, and until I can unlock the funds for a true quality jack of all trades, I will likely me moving them around to cover my needs.

Why 6BR?

From my research, it appears to be an accurate cartridge with very little recoil (a critical important point for me as recoil is exceedingly unpleasant to me, more so than most). It is economical on powder, and also uses a .308 bolt face (which my donor action came with, so no tinkering there). Lastly, in my area, the minimum legal caliber (expressed as bore diameter, yeah makes so much sense…) is 6mm. So technically it would be legal for large and small game (would I ever hunt moose with a 6mmBR? No. Would I be breaking any law doing so? Also no.).

Again, please let me know what you think, and try to provide context for your answer. I’d really like to this right the first time and save myself the trouble of a subpar execution. Thanks for your attention and I look forward to your comments.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Do you reload? If so, 6BR is a solid choice (look at 6BRA and Dasher too). If you don’t - it’s a bear to find any factory or semi-custom chambering in.

Reactions: Slowbalt
I’d ditch the carbon barrel and just do a similar weight steel barrel. It’ll cool better and save you a bunch of money.

6.5C offers better barrel life, is more forgiving in the wind and even better splash.

I’d ditch the carbon barrel and just do a similar weight steel barrel. It’ll cool better and save you a bunch of money.

6.5C offers better barrel life, is more forgiving in the wind and even better splash.
I dont think 6.5cm had better barrel life then a br. Ive got a barrel with 4k rounds on it that still shoots insanely tiny groups and hasn't dropped any velocity. I've never swapt one out less then 3k. My last 6.5 barrel died at 2900 rounds. Still shot decent clean but as it fouled it opened up and speed became inconsistent. Now i will say 800y and further the 6.5 is a huge advantage in every way.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Dump the 783 and get a real action. You are throwing good money after bad with that. It's an even cheaper designed and built action than the 700. Skip the carbon barrel. Not sure what you guys can get in Canuckistan but see what the PRS guys up there are using and just buy that. No reason to try and reinvent the wheel.