• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS Match- physical limitations

Reaper 31

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2018
    Texas
    I'm looking at attending my first PRS match on Feb 11 (CCC Millican, TX). I can get around with a rifle and a backpack but i have physical issues that might slow me down as the day progresses. I'm embarrassed to ask but
    are their any accommodations or suggestions someone can recommend?

Thanks!

Reactions: CUSTOM1911FAN
    Do you have a side by side or golf cart? The CCC range is very ammenible to having a gear hauler that you can park behind the line to hold your pack, etc so you're not getting it on/off all the time or having to make some of the longer stage walks (range has 2 sections with a long walk, but most people drive it in trucks or SXS).

Even people who don't need a SXS and are just fat and lazy use them all the time, don't be embarrassed - get after it at your first match!

• Haha
    Reactions: CaptNkllm and lash
    As a matter of fact I do have access to a side by side. I didn't know that was authorized but that would help me tremendously. I do have a range cart but didn't think about that one either. I appreciate your response!

Reactions: lash
    Not all ranges have same policies but CCC is very SXS friendly - 100% the way to go so you can save your energy for cleaning the meatball targets they will still have out there from this past weekend!

Reactions: kthomas and lash
    I was actually just checking those out. I have an old cart I used For F class I'm gonna try out. Interested in one of those electric bikes lol

If you have physical issues most any match will work with you to make it as easy as possible to shoot. Using a cart as a lot of people do or side by side shouldn't be an issue unless the range is in harsh terrain.

^^^ What Rob said. I'm pushing age 70, arthritic, very limited range of motion in neck and right knee, I can walk a few miles in a day's match but it gets more challenging with each trip around the sun. So I can relate to what you're asking. I use an old 3-wheel jogging stroller which carries a medium or large range bag perfectly with room left for a few bags and other incidentals. It has rubber-coated firearm-rack carriers clamped to it, but I've found that 15-20 pounds of scoped rifle makes the rig top-heavy and unwieldy on rough terrain (in matches using PCCs or light ARs, this isn't so much an issue). I just carry the heavy rifles cased on top of the range bag or, if the walk is short between stages, I carry the rifle in one hand and push the stroller with the other.

You don't say how long you have until your match. If you haven't been already, the best practice you can do is repeatedly moving into as stable a position as you can make atop barrels in any orientation they can be placed, on a step ladder to simulate a barricade (all the way down to the lowest step)... even off a rope suspended between trees or poles. While learning to build and shoot from positions on, around, under, or in all sorts of props is important, transitioning into position smoothly and quickly or from one to another is what eats up time for me. I admire some of my younger buddies who can plop bag and rifle into position on pretty much any prope and have the first shot AIMED and SENT almost in a fluid motion.

The worst stages by far for me are those requiring the shooter to go prone, shoot, get up, move, and shoot from something higher, then back prone again - five down&ups for five pairs of shots. Age and body damage limit just how fast I can do that, and I always time out on such stages. But I still enjoy the competition environment and will stay with it as long as I can.

Enjoy.

I'm looking at attending my first PRS match on Feb 11 (CCC Millican, TX). I can get around with a rifle and a backpack but i have physical issues that might slow me down as the day progresses. I'm embarrassed to ask but
    are their any accommodations or suggestions someone can recommend?

Thanks!
    This is my 3-gun cart that I now use for PRS matches...You get the idea.

Attachments

• 20180715_120240.jpg
      20180715_120240.jpg
      465.1 KB · Views: 107
    • 20180715_120249.jpg
      20180715_120249.jpg
      317.9 KB · Views: 110
    • Love
    Reactions: CaptNkllm
    E4B31BC8-2F70-4ABB-953A-1E3DF8F1F49D.jpeg

I almost got run over by one of these at a horse show one time. I suspect the contents of the cooler were in the driver’s bloodstream

• Haha
    Reactions: 308pirate
    Here is my current setup. 15$ stroller (fixed wheel - idk how i feel about that yet) - Kolpin (need to trim their 4" freaking bolts lol) and Graspur clamps.
    Configured so I can have 2 rifles in case the wife comes with me - so it will not have 2 rifles on it at all times lol.

Also wanted to be able to carry a shooting tripod and a spotting tripod. I set up straps across the frame so my pack just 'lays' over top of them - I use the shoulder straps to of the pack to 'connect' to the top strap across the frame for retention - it's pretty damned solid and cannoy fall forward/off to the sides. I reinforced the bottom with webbing - underneath the stock bottom panel. That will be for range goodies, small cooler, and extra ammo and such. Added a quickly 3D-printed water bottle cage to one side (stroller didn't come with any drink holders lol).

With this config - I can unstrap the pack and shoulder it in about 20-30 seconds and I keep a sling in my pack - so can easily carry the rifle. Makes it easy to leave the cart behind if terrain prohibits usage midway to a stage. I have seen too may people not have a 'centralized' gearing system on their carts/strollers and have to try and lug their stuff by hand when they couldn't get their system to the stage.

Built this so I can spend less time/energy lugging gear- but still have easy mobility if I need to ditch it.
    EAE83824-D007-46A2-8DFF-77D74ECA5E1F_1_105_c.jpeg

C6E71E95-6199-4A36-B2EE-FF233F66F9E6_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: DIBBS
    Nice setup
    Ty sir. So far it is working well. Haven't used it in matches i have shot yet - but used it for 3 range trips so far and it has worked well, carried everything needed, and gives me a quick 'homebase' for standing with gear - vs sitting on/next to my pack on the ground. I might even get real lazy and through in a little tripod chair haha

@Reaper 31 if you ever find yourself in Charleston, SC, touch base with me. I have a cart with rifle holders that you can have.

Reactions: Schütze
    I do hear you and feel the same. It sucks trying to do what you love but are in pain doing it. Man do I wish I would have taken care of myself better but oh well. I didn't update how things went at my first match but I really enjoyed it and the pace was way better than I expected. I did have symptoms come on during my first engagement, which was the bus stage, but did do away after I warmed up. I thought I was in for a long day but not too bad. Now the shooting part... let's just say I need practice lol 😂

Reactions: Dot3 and lash
    Here’s a few pics of mine , I’m
    7A5FE6A8-A5D1-4C86-A72C-6A867FD298CA.jpeg
    57 and in decent shape but 2 knee surgeries and 2 shoulder surgeries can make a long match even longer for me. The stroller helps immensely.
    7398BF7E-C935-4F08-ACE0-62B3F0EE7332.jpeg

Reactions: activereality
    Hey Reaper31, I've been following this thread. I shot the 03/11 match at Navasota. And I've been wanting to know how you did. And what your thoughts were. And did you make the March match?