• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes PRS optics under $2K.

CageFighter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
North NJ
With all the previous comments about what is a quality scope., what do you guys suggest for PRS style shooting? Looking in the area of 5-25x., new or used price range btwn $1-2k, not looking to spend more than $2k. Hoping to find some deals after SHOT. BTW, the Razor Gen2 was on my short list, suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Research is your friend. This topic has been beaten to death numerous times.

And as someone who is currently reading and learning about this very topic, especially at this time of year, this info is constantly changing and right now, new lines are coming out all the time. New reviews and experiences are accumulating constantly.

In your situation-Razor Gen2 would be the benchmark IMO-especially if the weight isn't a big concern.

This is a good choice for a lot of reasons and a lot of applications, but holy crap, I hate that color. Some might say that shouldn't be an issue, but when I spend this much on a rifle and long distance setup, I do want it to look nice as well.

Reactions: Mausertech
This is a good choice for a lot of reasons and a lot of applications, but holy crap, I hate that color. Some might say that shouldn't be an issue, but when I spend this much on a rifle and long distance setup, I do want it to look nice as well.

Not the first time I've heard that :D-you have to like looking at it right? I happen to like it and think once the performance of the scope was realized-the unique and instantly recognizable color helped them sell a crap ton more than if they were black.

I should say... I don't actually dislike the color - but finding a way to match it to ANY other aspect of my rifle would be rough.

Reactions: chopit
It actually matches my Manners scorched earth somewhat. I always wondered why the hell they just don't make them black? It must be a marketing deal and when you see that color, you automatically associate it with the Vortex Razor.

how does it compare to the 5-25?
I’m not sure as I’ve never looked through the K525i. I know there have been comparisons made on this forum somewhere. The Razor is not a bad route either and you’re very likely to find a killer deal on one as well.

havent considered this.
Im a big fan. I have one mounted on a win mag right now. Glass is great, great power range, and tracks perfect. I don't know why this doesn't get more looks. Maybe because they only offer 2 reticles. Im building a comp gun and im planning to get another one.

Wait..someone said they wanted their competition scope to look pretty? WTF? I'm there to shoot not give tips on bath soaps and hair conditioner. I'll rattle can an alpha scope...I don't give AF.
I was thinking the same thing lol...
Gen II Razor. I'm looking through it, not at it, so I could care less about the color.

Good for ya'll... I'm spending $5k+ on a rifle and optic setup, I want them to be at least pleasing to the eye. not some mishmash hodgepodge of camo, metallic and primer. Yes, function above all, but that doesn't mean aesthetics mean zero.

Let's see you go order a Vette or a Porsche and then tell the salesman you don't care what color or if the fenders match the bumper.

Reactions: tlsmith22
Good for ya'll... I'm spending $5k+ on a rifle and optic setup, I want them to be at least pleasing to the eye. not some mishmash hodgepodge of camo, metallic and primer. Yes, function above all, but that doesn't mean aesthetics mean zero.

Let's see you go order a Vette or a Porsche and then tell the salesman you don't care what color or if the fenders match the bumper.

Depends...if I'm driving a Porsche or Vette to cruise around and say "LOOK AT ME"...while trying to get some tail during my mid-life crisis... sure as hell want to be all swanky....but if I'm driving either at 24 hours of Le Mans.... I don't give a rats behind what it looks like...I'll be driving the crap out of it...until I crash and burn.

Nobody said you had to suffer with a hodge-podge FrankenRifle...but you can always take some ace bandage and a little cammo paint and rap that bastard.

I just rattle canned a $7k rifle....and my friends all thought I lost my shit....o well...to each their own.

So...back to the original topic...Vortex Razor Gen II.

Im looking for a new scope as well. I know vortex is g2g. Own like 3 of their 1-6x and have looked through the others. I really really want that mil xt reticle from nightforce through...

I understand. I have passed on a few Porsche Caymans because they were brown metallic or Black and Tan; though probably not smart since the price was so skewed due to color (brown in particular ). Funny though. On rifles I’m not choosey on looks. Shotguns...absolutely I am. Still into wood not synthetic there.

I actually do paint my $5k+ rifle/optic setup and idgaf about what anyone thinks. If you don't like the color of the razor then put camo tape on it or just paint it, or don't. People are recommending it because under $2k, it's a great PRS contender, and you asked for their recommendations so now you're getting them.

If it helps, I can recommend Tract Toric, Sig Tango6, and Athlon Cronus BTR. All of these also come in non black colors so you can spray paint the heck out of them because you probably won't like their color.

Xrs2 can be bought for 1150 to 1250, used. I gave 1189 and 1200 for my 2. Dmr2 pro can be found for 1050-1200, I gave 1050 for mine. My 2 razor2s were on here for 1500, plenty of deals out there.

I would look in the PX optic for sale section of the Hide and new from a Hide vendor for any one of the following:

Vortex AMG 6-24x50 w/EBR-7 reticle (I have 2 of these w/EBR-7B reticle)- these are great scopes and one of the few made in USA, except for the German made reticle- you can sometimes get these on sale for under $2,000 but new these usually sell in the $2,300 range. Used these usually sell for around $1,800-2,000.

Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27x56 w/EBR-2 reticle- These are also great scopes, just heavier and larger than the AMG- Used and new they sell on the Hide for under $2,000, with used prices being around $1,600 which is an outstanding value.

Kahles K624i with SKMR reticle (I have one with the SKMR3 reticle)- another excellent scope and reticle combo- new these are in the mid $2000 range, used these sometimes can be had for under $2000.

Leupold Mk5HD 5-25- I have looked through these scopes and have been very impressed and they can be bought new or used for under $2000.

Last edited:
I actually do paint my $5k+ rifle/optic setup and idgaf about what anyone thinks. If you don't like the color of the razor then put camo tape on it or just paint it, or don't. People are recommending it because under $2k, it's a great PRS contender, and you asked for their recommendations so now you're getting them.

If it helps, I can recommend Tract Toric, Sig Tango6, and Athlon Cronus BTR. All of these also come in non black colors so you can spray paint the heck out of them because you probably won't like their color.

And I never denigrated anyone's opinions... which is exactly what you are doing. Trying to tell someone they shouldn't care about aesthetics just because YOU don't is the height of arrogance.

Got some pics of your primer-coated and camo'd out Porsche? I'll wait...

And I never denigrated anyone's opinions... which is exactly what you are doing. Trying to tell someone they shouldn't care about aesthetics just because YOU don't is the height of arrogance.

Got some pics of your primer-coated and camo'd out Porsche? I'll wait...

Dude, you can do or not do whatever you want. I could care less. I just didn't think it was fair for the Vortex to not be considered simply by its finish when it's performance is really good and it can also be the biggest bang for your buck. I'm not even sure you've gotten behind the razor and a few others to compare. I think this might actually be a good idea and allow you to actually feel the controls and get a feel for their IQ. All things considered, that may change your mind. In such a case, that's where the camo tape or paint job could be applied. Hell, the color may even grow on you after a while. But if YOU want to scratch it off from the list right from the start, YOU go right ahead. I can assure you I will not be affected in any way.

You want to see my paint job, you go search for it. I've made multiple posts about it in the past and even linked it earlier today on a recent post.

Good luck in your decision!

Dude, you can do or not do whatever you want. I could care less. I just didn't think it was fair for the Vortex to not be considered simply by its finish when it's performance is really good and it can also be the biggest bang for your buck. I'm not even sure you've gotten behind the razor and a few others to compare. I think this might actually be a good idea and allow you to actually feel the controls and get a feel for their IQ. All things considered, that may change your mind. In such a case, that's where the camo tape or paint job could be applied. Hell, the color may even grow on you after a while. But if YOU want to scratch it off from the list right from the start, YOU go right ahead. I can assure you I will not be affected in any way.

You want to see my paint job, you go search for it. I've made multiple posts about it in the past and even linked it earlier today on a recent post.

Good luck in your decision!
Why don't you show me where I said anything of the sort? All I did was make a comment about the color... you're the one who carried it so much farther. Again... you think everyone should think and act like you. Thank God they don't.

Why don't you show me where I said anything of the sort? All I did was make a comment about the color... you think everyone should think and act like you. Thank God they don't.

I'm pretty sure the quote below would qualify as "anything of the sort" so there, I just showed you.

holy crap, I hate that color. Some might say that shouldn't be an issue, but when I spend this much on a rifle and long distance setup, I do want it to look nice as well.

you think everyone should think and act like you. Thank God they don't.

I actually don't think everyone nor anyone should think nor act like me. And I agree thankfully no one does. Now I could ask you the same. Show me where I mentioned anything about me thinking everyone should act like me. I already said what you do or don't do, will not affect me. Same goes for everyone else.

Also, this is the internet and many people will say what they want regardless of who's butt gets hurt. I'm only telling you this because you seem to be a rather new member and you may not know it, but that's just the way things happen sometimes. I see it here every now and then.

I think everyone hated that SIG gray so much they stopped making it. I got a nice deal on it as they were closing them out (wrong reticle, confused in ordering over the phone, but wanted to shoot it more than change it...and @BigJimFish says Christmas trees are for suckers anyway ;)). I subsequently got a Tango4 for a less ambitious project the same way.

I like the gray, personally. I think black is a shit color for guns, generally, and its continued popularity is due more to intellectual laziness and lack of imagination than any other factor or combination of factors. :LOL:

On topic, the SIG is nice enough...eyebox is tough to get into without a perfectly dialed in stock, but I haven't used it hard enough to generate any other complaints as yet. Both the SIG and the Vortex are heavy enough to make a handy bludgeon...on balance, with a similar price point...well...

I was having his whole debate a year ago....was waiting on the XTR III then...I think we're still waiting on the illuminated models, no? That was influenced by watching a certain forumite punk folks with the XTR II, so maybe worth considering?

I also looked at the aforementioned Trijicon...but, it seems an unknown quantity still. They have been a great company to do business with in the past. My Dad sent in an ACOG for refurb - used to be mine, did some time overseas, got blown up, was missing chunks from the fiber, yadda yadda. Never lost zero, fogged, etc. Trijicon refilled the tritium, refurbished and refinished the optic, and upgraded my 3rd party mount to a BoBro QD free of charge...all of it. I've been looking for an opportunity to kick them some more business since...I just don't buy optics all that often.

Reactions: smtitmelevi
I think everyone hated that SIG gray so much they stopped making it. I got a nice deal on it as they were closing them out (wrong reticle, confused in ordering over the phone, but wanted to shoot it more than change it...and @BigJimFish says Christmas trees are for suckers anyway ;)). I subsequently got a Tango4 for a less ambitious project the same way.

I like the gray, personally. I think black is a shit color for guns, generally, and its continued popularity is due more to intellectual laziness and lack of imagination than any other factor or combination of factors. :LOL:

On topic, the SIG is nice enough...eyebox is tough to get into without a perfectly dialed in stock, but I haven't used it hard enough to generate any other complaints as yet. Both the SIG and the Vortex are heavy enough to make a handy bludgeon...on balance, with a similar price point...well...

I was having his whole debate a year ago....was waiting on the XTR III then...I think we're still waiting on the illuminated models, no? That was influenced by watching a certain forumite punk folks with the XTR II, so maybe worth considering?

I also looked at the aforementioned Trijicon...but, it seems an unknown quantity still. They have been a great company to do business with in the past. My Dad sent in an ACOG for refurb - used to be mine, did some time overseas, got blown up, was missing chunks from the fiber, yadda yadda. Never lost zero, fogged, etc. Trijicon refilled the tritium, refurbished and refinished the optic, and upgraded my 3rd party mount to a BoBro QD free of charge...all of it. I've been looking for an opportunity to kick them some more business since...I just don't buy optics all that often.

Yeah I hear ya on that Sig lol. I too disliked the color as it didn't go with anything on my rifle. That sure didn't stop me from getting one though. It turned out to be a really great optic. Glass was pretty clear and while I had it, I never wished I had anything else. I used it for a whole hunting season

Trijicon though, never owned one but I keep hearing great things about them and I may just get myself one sooner rather than later. I'm sure they live up to the hype.

I'm pretty sure the quote below would qualify as "anything of the sort" so there, I just showed you.

I actually don't think everyone nor anyone should think nor act like me. And I agree thankfully no one does. Now I could ask you the same. Show me where I mentioned anything about me thinking everyone should act like me. I already said what you do or don't do, will not affect me. Same goes for everyone else.

Also, this is the internet and many people will say what they want regardless of who's butt gets hurt. I'm only telling you this because you seem to be a rather new member and you may not know it, but that's just the way things happen sometimes. I see it here every now and then.
I've been around the internet a while now... people who just want to piss on others don't really get to me all that much. Says a lot more about them than the people they're trying to belittle.

Have a good one.

Reactions: stello1001
I got 3 of these, keeping 2 for sure, but may sell the extra new (in sealed box) one if interested.

Attachments

• XRS1.jpg
    XRS1.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 61
  • XRS4.jpg
    XRS4.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Robin 03A3
Xrs2 can be bought for 1150 to 1250, used. I gave 1189 and 1200 for my 2. Dmr2 pro can be found for 1050-1200, I gave 1050 for mine. My 2 razor2s were on here for 1500, plenty of deals out there.

what reticle? H59? too bad it doesnt come w illum. :(

Which scopes? I had a h59, didnt care for it, had a hard time selling it here. I dont like illuminated reticles in the bushnells, the non illuminated have a thinner center section.

A lot of good suggestions on here, one thing I'd point out is if the 2k or under is to meet the PRS production class msrp limit then unfortunately used Khales or Razor disqualifies them as options. What I used for production class was a Burris XTR II 4-20 but wish I had gone the Vortex Viper PST route.

The DMR2 with a kestrel for under a 1k was a great deal on a starter optic. I have been really pleased with its performance.

Reactions: CageFighter