• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS or UBR

Re: PRS or UBR

IMHO--PRS is nice for a long range rig. It will keep your cheek back on the stock for eye relief with the long range scope. The UBR is really nice as well....heavy but nice. When extended, the cheek piece is stationary and closer to the scope and the shoulder piece extends out for longer length of pull....better for "nose to charging handle" type shooting with close in AR's. Also, UBR seems to be a little wider than the PRS..I think. I have both and like both for different kinds of shooting....my $0.02

It is basically the same discussion as with any other rifle stock, scope, mount, etc. It all comes down to which is best for YOU since stocks fit everyone and every setup differently. Here is a link to a recent discussion of the PRS vs. UBR:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2053149

The best advice I can give you is to try both and see which you prefer with your setup...they are both very high quality products that will work well (with the advantage going to the one the best fits you personally).

For precision rifles, PRS. For carbines, UBR. Have both, and that is how I run them.

It is a precision AR but is it ONLY for prone slow fire? The AR by design is a battle rifle, nothing saying you cant get up close and personal with a precision rifle... It helps though if it is flexible enough for both. Imagine clearing a room with a 20" AR-10 with PRS on it.. very cumbersome. Now put the UBR on and do the same thing. A little easier having that collapsable option. But still capable of laying down volumes of precision fire on target.

There are several SR-25s in my neck of the woods er' uh' Desert! EASILY engaging targets at 1100yds. Buttstock of choice? The simple SOPMOD... Offers nice cheek to stock weld area and can collapse to button hook around an "SW Asian" doorway. Versatility..

I dont know anyone here who would put a PRS on a carbine type weapon. It allows you to one thing well (prone shooting) but takes away the other benefits of having an AR.

well id say that was worth about a nicke, so theres my .05 cents worth..

.02 more cents worth... (think im up to 7 cents now.)
Also, unless this is ONLY for prone shooting (which Is very limiting IMO) Consider other shooting positions, for instance sitting.. Im sure people shoot fine with the PRS sitting, but it aint comfortable. And if they could swallow that pride they would agree that a collapsable stock would really fit better, causing less strain, causing better sight alignment and more hits. Besides.. when you get into ANY position other than a fully supported prone or bench rest, the variable having the most amount of influence is the shooter. A $5000 GAP aint gunna hit the target if you cant hold er steady. So do what you can to facilitate some good ergonomics and be able to hold the rifle comfortably.

I have the UBR on my Grendel and I love it. Fits me well and it very solid.

Have only handled the PRS but it feels solid.

I will stick with the UBR for my next project though as I just love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boy that UBR is high dollar huh? its a nice looking unit</div></div> High dollar but it does come with its own proprietary receiver extension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PRS, for its length of pull and cheek height adjustability. </div></div>

The UBR is more adjustable for LOP than the PRS and the cheek riser is usless on the PRS because it is too far back on the stock.

+1 on the UBR - I have two.

LOP adjustment, weight (great for counter balancing heavier barrels, plus has a neat trapdoor if you want to bag up lead shot for this), doesn't interfere with charging handle.

I have a PRS on my DPMS LR 308. Now mind you I am not bad mouthing the UBR. Anything MAGPULL is good to go as far as I am concearned. This is why I bought the PRS. I would say that its the McMillan of AR stocks.Like any MAGPULL Stock Its well built, not much heavier than the A-2 with the combination of adjustible length of pull which is a must for me and how the cheek piece moves make it perfect for me. I am just under 6'5'' so I have an allmost 15'' LOP and I have the LOP at max adjustment. If you want to use a mono pod all you have to do is slide the bottom of the PRS stock off and expose the rail and attach the mono pod. Also my Triad Tactical wedge works really good with the PRS. The charging handle has plenty of clearance. Mind you all my shoting is pretty much prone or using a bench type rest with a bidpod. I have never had an issue shooting while sitting with the PRS, I wrap my arm in the sling and use the mag well as a forward grip. I have only done that at 100 yds. The PRS is the same LOP without being adjusted as a A-2 stock. Also the adjustments are fine so that you can make it just right for you. Not the 1 more foward is too short but 1 more back is too long game. I dont know how the UBR adjusts. I have a the CTR on my M-4 with it all the way forward to compensate for my body armor. I agree with ORD it depends on you and what will work for you. Body types are all different and what kind of position will you mostly shoot from and they type of shooting. I hope this might help.

I have a UBR on my AR10 and it is a nice, solid stock. I like the collapsible stock for both the compact storage and alternate shooting position versatility.

PRS on the AR10....she is a heavy pig though and needed it to balance:

AR10_5745.jpg

UBR on the suppressed M4 balances it nicely.

UBR_0697.jpg

On the A2, just because. But it really felt "wrong" like this:
UBR_0681.jpg

well thanks for all the response guys. Looks like the UBR is the winner. I'm a fella that likes to put his head forward n down so I'm more likely to utilize the front half of the stock. The PRS seems to be good if you keep your head back. The UBR is a better fit for me.

thanks for the responses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that A2 is like a pig with lipstick </div></div>

I threw it together just to see. It didn't make much sense to me because the whole point of that rifle was to be a clone of the M16A2 I carried. If was going to stray from that, then the handguards would be the first to go.