• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS questions as an amputee.

jwSubMOA

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
Mississippi
Hello all. Long time shooter and member here. I recently joined a range that hosts PRS matches and I am curious about participating. I am of course going to speak to them, but we have such a wide range of info here.
I am a double amputee, left arm above elbow, right leg above knee. I am extremely active and mobile, I build my chairs and can go pretty much anywhere. I would like opinions and experiences regarding my participation. From a shooting and safety standpoint I would be fine, but I definitely cannot move/relocate as quickly as most competitors, which clearly would impact actually competing due to the time constraints. I'm more interested in the participation than placing, but I also don't want to hold up other shooters during a match. What do you guys think?

saw a video of a dude a while back - think he was a US marine who had an unfortunate experience with an IED.... if I remember I think he lost both legs at the knee..... the video was him doing a few PRS stages, and he did better than I would have (me having all my parts...)

marines seem to make 'em tough.... improvise adapt overcome.

sure, there may be stages where you are at a significant disadvantage, but there may well be stages where your life challenges become an advantage

and, its not what you got, its how you use it.

Don’t be concerned about holding anyone up. There’s a lot of people who will make you look like Speedy Gonzalez. They wait until they’re up to start getting ready.

Look up the Team winners of NightForce 2023……

Huskydriver the Poor tagged them here already.

get out there.
If the shooting community cant be a little accommodating to a shooter minus a couple limbs, then they need a life lesson in my opinion.

Good on ya and good shooting!

I’d put a paycheck on a bet that anyone who would make a stink about a double amputee competitor taking a bit longer and “slowing” things down would be immediately shamed the fuck off the range by the staff and other competitors.

Get some.
I’d take that bet in a heartbeat if it were my place to talk about it. You’d be very surprised.

• Wow
Reactions: powdahound76
I’d put a paycheck on a bet that anyone who would make a stink about a double amputee competitor taking a bit longer and “slowing” things down would be immediately shamed the fuck off the range by the staff and other competitors.

Get some.
1712408628783.gif

Nothing else needs to be said.

OP, you got this.

Get some.
Yep

I’d take that bet in a heartbeat if it were my place to talk about it. You’d be very surprised.

Im not one for internet BS and do tell more.

I mostly shoot with friends.

All but one match I have shot, if Im with strangers, by the end I have new folks I would like to shoot with again.
I Dont compete much. Time mostly.
And do love shooting and most folks I meet would be happy to encourage another shooter pushing their boundaries.

Im not one for internet BS and do tell more.

I mostly shoot with friends.

All but one match I have shot, if Im with strangers, by the end I have new folks I would like to shoot with again.
I Dont compete much. Time mostly.
And do love shooting and most folks I meet would be happy to encourage another shooter pushing their boundaries.
Pretty sure Frank spoke on it in one of his podcasts. There are certain “pros” that complained about unfair advantages because a certain someone didn’t have to shoot a stage like they all did. That certain someone placed high than the “pros” and they was a lot of shit talking and complaining. It happens more than you’d think.

Oh, I dont care what jersey bois whine about.

I would oh so politely tell them to pound sand.

Be pretty funny most likely.

And dont forget, one used his muzzle as a rest for his head at a match……

Pretty sure Frank spoke on it in one of his podcasts. There are certain “pros” that complained about unfair advantages because a certain someone didn’t have to shoot a stage like they all did. That certain someone placed high than the “pros” and they was a lot of shit talking and complaining. It happens more than you’d think.
I would expect some of this, people are assholes. But, I'd make it very weird and awkward. Crawling across the line and telling them to say it to my face would probably be hilarious.

I was at the 2015 Hide Cup where the bitching over a couple stages' scoring got so bad, Frank basically walked the fuck out. Even those ultra-narcissistic types aren't going to bitch about a double amputee slowing things down a bit if they think for a second about the crowd around them.

They're petty and self absorbed, but they're not stupid. More-so because the companies represented on their jersey would be greatly disturbed if word got out they were making a stink about someone disabled at a match. A lot of those in PRS loves drama, but manufacturers do not.

OP, just give the MD a shout prior to showing up, let them mentally sort things prior to the match, and I'm positive you and everyone around you will have a wonderful time.

Anyone that has an issues with that can get fucked.

Yep. Anyone shooting a PRS/NRL type match wanting to get in, get out, and get gone is in the wrong sport lol. It’s been a few years since I shot a match (adulting blows), but none of them were ever “fast” in comparison to a 2-gun match. Do your thing, man.

No issues. A good friend of mine is missing leg below his knee. He shoots PRS 2day matches and is very good.
You wouldn’t know looking at him and most don’t…he gets around very well!

At a 2day match a few years back no bipod bags etc allowed on a stage…only your body for support. Standing, sitting, kneeling prone…he talks to the RO and since his artificial legs was part of his body he popped it off and used it as front support from sitting/kneeling. It was awesome!!! Haha. High score on the stage for the match.

Hide Cup had a wheelchair compettitor.
Texas Plinking had a guy shooting with no hands.

Go shoot. There's a time limit anyway so you aren't slowing anyone down. Anyone who bitches is an asshole anyway. Most competitors timeout (at least in my matches)

Anyone gives you shit, post here and we'll have so many goon squads on their ass, we'll have to take turns.

From what I’ve seen, the biggest drag on squad speed at a PRS event is the jersey guys arguing about whose turn it is to play wind bitch- even with a defined rotating shooting order. Then they all have to spend 20 minutes on their kestrels getting their dope for the stage. Then everyone has to find the targets in their spotting scopes. Then more ass grabbing about squad order. Then they can shoot. No way that one shooter with a disability is the biggest factor in a squad “dragging.”

Sir if you shot in my area, I would load your ammo and pull the gear wagon to help you get set up. Shooting is good. go for it.

Everyone is on the clock anyway for a stage. The slow downs are getting dope, wind,etc. And since you’re asking about it here, I’m going to assume you will be prepared for all of that and more than likely faster and better prepared than many other shooters there

Don’t compete against the others….compete against yourself. When you don’t focus on “them”, you might surprise everyone. It’s nice to see those egos get crushed by underdogs.

You lost your arm and leg serving our country? Come to south Texas and shoot one of the 22 PRS style matches here with me and the guys I hang out with. You can shoot my rifle and I'll pay your entry fee.

I can't speak to that game, but other games and I would doubt it would be different. People are generally pretty cool.

At CMP matches we have two people in wheel chairs, one can't walk, and one has a little platform to lay the rifle on as he is missing one arm. All is cool, no one complains a lick, even when he does better then other people. Now what would happen if he went to a "big" state type match, I don't know.

Same with the hand gun games, wheel around and do your thing. We made the lanes larger for him, where the wood is, and laid tape down for the people with two meat legs. Again no one griped, and this guy usually smoked me. He was pretty darn good. But again local only.

My two bits from seeing it in other sports, DO IT.