• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS rear bag suggestions

Davidu

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2020
First a Texas sized thank you to Frank from Snipershide and the other instructors who donated their time to help new shooters like myself during the Guardian train up prior to the match. The match proceeds go to deserving adoption agencies for the benefit of orphaned children.
Frank did his best to get me in the proper prone position during the train up, but at 68 and cervical spine issues I had difficulty getting squared up. I am using a GC shmedium as a rear bag. Frank’s words of advice were that I needed a different rear bag. I realize everyone is anatomically different and it’s hard to recommend a bag, but I’m going to ask for some suggestions. I already lug around a heavy fill GC, so looking for a lite fill that might elevate the rear a bit. I have to set the 6-9” Harris bipod legs low with the GC to shoot at level prone. The Traust rear bags looked appealing, but are back ordered at this time.

If you pivot the schmedium so that it is vertical rather than horizontal you can shoot with a 6-9 Harris bipod at full extension, even getting a bit of down angle if you squeeze the rear bag.

The key with the gamechanger is using rear bag orientation for flexibility in shooting height. If you want super low, the butt of the rifle goes in the groove between the bag, rabbit ear style. For medium height bag goes on its side with the butt of the rifle on just one ear, controlling height by moving the fill between the two halves. For just a little more height, put the ears down and the butt goes on the flat top surface. This one is a bit harder to adjust on the fly but is sometimes good when you pre-stage the rifle and are wanting it to stay in position. For max height you start to rotate the bag to vertical.

That being said, I carry a full size game changer with Git-Lite fill as a supplement to my Schmedium for my PRS match shooting. It adds another couple inches of height when needed and is very light.

I ordered a Schmedium in Git Lite fill and really like it. It is my go to rear bag of choice.

Reactions: Boxerglocker
Precision underground elr-pro. Done

Precision underground elr-pro. Done

Rookie here but I love my OG ELR bag. I think its now the ELRX? I much prefer it over my shmedium GC for a rear bag.

I'll be honest..i really struggle with the Game Changer (full size) as a rear. But of course the others are using smaller versions.

Cole-tac makes a really lightweight Woobie bag that feels really good and can be set upright or on the side depending on the angle you need.

but at 68 and cervical spine issues I had difficulty getting squared up. I am using a GC shmedium as a rear bag. Frank’s words of advice were that I needed a different rear bag
I have to wonder if people who recommend bags in the GC size class or smaller have any idea what it's like to live with a compromised cervical spine. I'm closing in on 70 and have little to no disk separation between the cervical vertebrae; range of motion on all axes is very, very limited, and I occasionally have nerve impingement-related symptoms in my hands.

When I first started shooting PRS-style matches four summers ago, I couldn't shoot from prone because my neck simply wouldn't bend enough to use a small rear bag and 6-9" bipod. So, I learned to use a large pillow-style bag to support my chest and take pressure off my arthritic elbows as well as raising the rifle using a 9-13" bipod. This facilitated the ability to keep my neck a bit straighter and hold the higher position longer and more comfortably. I practiced dropping the bag, setting the toe of my chassis on the front right corner of the bag (I'm right-handed), and dropping down behind it while on the clock.

Over time, my neck "loosened" enough to shoot prone with a Game Changer and my Atlas 6-9" bipod extended only one notch. This combination is faster to deploy on the clock - but make no mistake, I cannot hold the position much longer than 90-120 seconds and, if I have to do it more than a time or two in a match, pain med intake is going up for a few days afterward.

Propping up on a pillow bag with a 9-13" bipod is definitely easier on a compromised C-spine than smaller bags and shorter bipods.

I run a 6-9 Harris (and incidentally, also use a Schmedium for most things too), for a dedicated rear bag, 99% of the time I still use the first "real bag" I ever bought: Wiebad Mini Range Cube (6" x 4", 3lbs ~$30).

Works excellent on its side run short, or taller stood up, and is still my go-to for anything prone or modified-prone.

tempImageRYzzrB.pngtempImage2852Ep.png