• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS rifle build choices

patriotnation

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 21, 2018
Massachusetts
I just started shooting PRS recently and have researched and read a lot on the subject of rifle choices for builds but would like some other opinions.
I began with a Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor in a KRG bravo chassis.
I am thinking of going to 6 mm creedmoor since it is available in Lapua brass, easy to reload, takes the same small rifle primer and H4350 powder, and hopefully shoots well with SMK 107 grain or similar. I settled on a 1-7.5 twist for barrel twist with 26" length.

I ordered an MDT ACC chassis to begin with

I will go with a Terminus Zeus action and probably a prefit barrel
This is where I seem to not find exactly what I thought I wanted.
I see that GA Precision has Bartlein prefit barrels for a decent price but I was looking for heavier barrel than the #7 they offer which is more like MTU/M24 contour rather than say a heavy varmint. I do want a Bartlein barrel, they have that and they have 7.5 twist, also threaded muzzle.

Triggertech diamond straight trigger

Area 419 Hellfire break

I am hoping going to 6 CM and a heavier gun, I can stay on target better.

Does this look like a good plan? Thanks

Only thing I’d suggest is to work on being able to stay on target with the 6.5 first. Smaller round + heavy chassis = bandaid.

The build looks good.

I do keep working on that and can stay on in prone, it is just some other positions I have some difficulty. I will keep practicing though.
Thanks

I just started shooting PRS recently and have researched and read a lot on the subject of rifle choices for builds but would like some other opinions.
I began with a Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor in a KRG bravo chassis.
I am thinking of going to 6 mm creedmoor since it is available in Lapua brass, easy to reload, takes the same small rifle primer and H4350 powder, and hopefully shoots well with SMK 107 grain or similar. I settled on a 1-7.5 twist for barrel twist with 26" length.

I ordered an MDT ACC chassis to begin with

I will go with a Terminus Zeus action and probably a prefit barrel
This is where I seem to not find exactly what I thought I wanted.
I see that GA Precision has Bartlein prefit barrels for a decent price but I was looking for heavier barrel than the #7 they offer which is more like MTU/M24 contour rather than say a heavy varmint. I do want a Bartlein barrel, they have that and they have 7.5 twist, also threaded muzzle.

Triggertech diamond straight trigger

Area 419 Hellfire break

I am hoping going to 6 CM and a heavier gun, I can stay on target better.

Does this look like a good plan? Thanks
Sounds like a great package.
I am running a 6.5 and 6.0 CM MPA with M24 barrel in an MPA chassis. They both shoot lights out.
I am close to 2000 rounds in the 6.5 and it still shoots sub 1/2 minute groups.
Happy shooting

Reactions: patriotnation
Only thing I’d suggest is to work on being able to stay on target with the 6.5 first. Smaller round + heavy chassis = bandaid.

The build looks good.

I was thinking more about what you said about band aid.
That maybe I should stick with the 6.5 for another year or 2. It won't get me any more speed though than I would with a 6mm but then again, I could change to 6 mm on the next barrel. Tough decision.

Either a 6.5 or 6 will work. If you can't win with a 6.5 you won't with a 6 either. Pick one and practice.

:)Win? I think I am a ways from winning for sure. I plan to put more time into practicing for sure.
I noticed that GA Precision has the 6.5 CM but it is not a 1-8 twist like my Tikka, it is a 8.5 twist. Maybe I am worried about nothing or splitting hairs.
thanks

If you're going to be practicing a lot I'd also consider sticking with the 6.5 just for the barrel life. Use that 6.5 barrel while you're on the steeper side of the learning curve.

Sounds like a hell of a build though!

There ain't shit wrong with your tikka. I've got customs and an AI and I miss the tikka I had built and sold. You could save a lot of money and get a 6cm barrel for your tikka, an action wrench, and barrel vice. Swap back and forth between the 2 barrels

Reactions: JeffLebowski
There ain't shit wrong with your tikka. I've got customs and an AI and I miss the tikka I had built and sold. You could save a lot of money and get a 6cm barrel for your tikka, an action wrench, and barrel vice. Swap back and forth between the 2 barrels

you are correct, I love the rifle and plan on keeping it.
I just made a choice to try a different action and chassis. My Tikka has almost 3000 rounds and I figure it will need another barrel next year so I had thoughts of replacing the barrel with maybe a .223 for practice since my home range is only 300 yards max. Or do like you said go with 6 mm possibly. Either way I am keeping the Tikka. If I did not decide to build on a terminus, I was thinking of getting another Tikka.
thanks

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I have a very similar build- Vector, MPA, Triggertech Flat, 419 Sidewinder

Agree with Reubinski- don't get hung up on who makes the barrel, especially if you shoot 6 creed. It's not long for this world.

A few random thoughts:
1) You will love being able to swap barrels with the Zeus if you choose to use the quick change feature. It's as convenient as it sounds. I have taken multiple barrels to the range to load develop, fireform etc... it sure is nice to to have the option.
Ignore the snake oil salesman with their torque wrenches, barrel vise or financial suggestion to buy duplicate trigger, chassis, scope and muzzle brake every time you want to change caliber :)
2) Heavy barrels are good. I shoot Proof Contour. Plenty of gunsmiths out there who offer whatever profile you like.
3) Brakes- I have the Sidewinder since i like the four ports. The new APA Gen 3 is REALLY nice. I just picked one up and the ability to tune the jump is great.
4) Since you reload, I would seriously consider downsizing from the Creed. I have a 6 Creed. It's a laser and shoot tiny holes. But if you can handle the adjustment from stocking only 4350 to adding Varget, the smaller cartridges are sure nice. If longer barrel life, reduced load adjustment, lower powder charge and less recoil interest you, the BR/GT cartridges are perfect for PRS.

Anyway, I am in a similar position. Enjoy the journey.

I'm putting together the exact rifle only the chassis I went with is a cadex competition. I would stick with a 6.5cm fir the readings mentioned above. If u feel.the need to still move to 6cm it's a barrel swoop away.

I went with 6.5 creedmoor

doing load development now

if I swap barrels in the future it may be a 6.5 x 47 lapua and a 24" long barrel instead of 26

Update:
I am glad I chose to stick with 6.5 CM for now. I like the gun very much, it has a lot more weight to it, the chassis is longer which puts the bipod out front further. Barrel is nice, does not heat up as fast, accurate, stays clean or easy to clean as it is machined very well. My setup balances very well. I have only shot 2 matches with it so far because of the corona virus, once in February and one 2 weeks ago. The last match I did better than I ever have done before and I think the choice of 6.5 is worth it when it comes to wind calls especially at distance. I realize with some winds at long distance it is difficult no matter what but the 130 tipped match kings I shoot still perform well and I think better than a 107 SMK would in 6BR or something. I have done well at distances of around 600-750 with the gun so I am happy.
I'll be learning more about wind this summer and plan to do my first 2 day match at PRS New England.
Thanks again for all your advice.

It’s all about what you like. That 6.5 is a good cartridge.

Bear in mind that getting a .223 bolt for a tikka can be a pain and or expensive... so if you want a .223 in the future, I'd buy that, and eventualy swap the 6.5 bbl out on what you have