• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prs rifles beginner/budget and if the remington 700 is worth getting off the shelf in 2024?

StocknRock

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2024
California
Newbie here lol I recently discovered this place but I feel Id definitely get a lot more help than anywhere else.

Im considering a higher power rifle for some precision shooting (2-350 yards) practice to upgrade from my Savage MkII bull barrel 22lr for 50-100 yds

From that alone that shows Im a novice on bolt actions, but looking to improve and get something I could potentially have for hunting as well as longer range shooting.

Im looking into a 308 win rifle. Something within a fairly common cartridge thats locally available, and been hovering around a few set of rifles: ruger american, savage axis, howa 1500, and the remington 700 (insert “bergara and or tikka) Mostly due to price as I cannot afford an over $800 bolt action for this atm, but would be open to building (doubting the price would be the same or lower).

After the whole debacle of Freedom company and Remington sometime ago, is (what I consider) the classic remington 700 getting in 2024?

Im not hoping to spend too terribly much as it would be a workhorse to use for practicing some longer range shooting.

The cons Id consider would be the difficulty of working on them, remingtons have the most aftermarket support out of any of the mentioned manufacturers (second being ruger), but are hell to rebarrel due to needing to have the barrel rethreaded to match the specific receiver. This makes me worry as even as a novice, I am confident I can rebarrel my rifle and learn to maintain my tools but with precision tooling needed for that, I definitely hesitate on the rifle I really want

Last edited:
The current crop of remington rifles is pretty good, they come with a very good trigger, although it isn't adjustable.
The howa comes with a very good trigger that IS adjustable.
You can put together a pretty slick rifle with Howa barreled action and an MDT field stock. Both are available from brownells and you're talking about less than 800 for both combined.
I'd look at the 20 inch heavy barrel.

I would have to second FDKAY suggestion . Howa's shoot good and there is nothing wrong with the MDT stock .

Reactions: StocknRock
I wouldn't buy a Howa, but that's just me...

I have yet to see a new 700 in stock anywhere locally, so I haven't handled one, but I have been told by several folks it's noticeably better feeling in quality than the old ones, and the fact that all Remingtons are coming threaded and with modern twist rates, and 5R rifling now (standard fare on ALL models) is a huge plus. They're also supposedly running new tooling (CNC) that will allow action runout to be no more than 0.005" according some article I read, so that means you can actually run a profit barrel if you wanted to.

Once again, all things I've read, no personal experience, but I DO KNOW that the 5R rifling, modern twist rates, and threaded barrels is legit...It's been reported on here numerous times, so we know those are factual. Not sure about the action runout though...I've yet to read any reports from smiths on that to backup that claim.

I would have to second FDKAY suggestion . Howa's shoot good and there is nothing wrong with the MDT stock .
I was absolutely observing these prior lol. I just figured for the ol remmy 700 adl because I found one in a local shop which seems to be pretty good

That and because cost 👉👈

But maybe Ill save for a bit, I live in cali and we get a stupid tax on guns and ammo in july and getting whatever guns and ammo before that date and then I began loathing life even more

Explain please… I need to know
Well, I owned a brand new (never even shot it for reasons you're about to hear) Howa 1500 Lightning bull-barrel .223 back in the day. I got it from the store I worked at. Nobody wanted it, and it sat there collecting dust for years. The owner sold it to me for like $150 (mind-you, this was 22 years ago pricing) just to get it off the shelf. Took it home, cleaned it real good, and noticed the bolt was a bit sloppy. Then the more I ran the bolt it really got sloppy, and after a few dozen dry-runs, it was wiggling so bad I thought it was going to pop out of track and come right out the back without depressing the bolt release... So, I never shot it, and a few years later, I traded it nearly straight-up for a used Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker in 7mmRM, and never looked back. Not bad for a $150 investment. 😂

I'm sure they've fixed the action slop since then, but I have read multiple reports about them having issues and not being very reliable. So, there's that. You can google that for yourself and find those posts on various forums.

Well, I owned a brand new (never even shot it for reasons you're about to hear) Howa 1500 Lightning bull-barrel .223 back in the day. I got it from the store I worked at. Nobody wanted it, and it sat there collecting dust for years. The owner sold it to me for like $150 (mind-you, this was 22 years ago pricing) just to get it off the shelf. Took it home, cleaned it real good, and noticed the bolt was a bit sloppy. Then the more I ran the bolt it really got sloppy, and after a few dozen dry-runs, it was wiggling so bad I thought it was going to pop out of track and come right out the back without depressing the bolt release... So, I never shot it, and a few years later, I traded it nearly straight-up for a used Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker in 7mmRM, and never looked back. Not bad for a $150 investment. 😂

I'm sure they've fixed the action slop since then, but I have read multiple reports about them having issues and not being very reliable. So, there's that. You can google that for yourself and find those posts on various forums.
Damn, that sounds horrible! I know I’d be pissed if that happened to me.

Ive seen that 223 rifles have had issues such as extraction or bullets being stuck but never a bolt droop like that

I second the Tikka for a cheapish factory build. Great guns for the money and you can find prefits for them so no need to go through a gunsmith.
Personally I’d go 6.5creed. Great all around precision round. You can learn, hunt, and compete in PRS. You’ll find that the 6.5creed isn’t the round you really want to compete with in PRS but at least it will get you in the door. Over time if you really enjoy it you can buy an aftermarket barrel with a more competitive caliber.

The new RemArms rem 700s are made so the tolerances are within 5 thou for headspace so I assume there will be shouldered prefit barrels available by the time you would need one.

The new RemArms rem 700s are made so the tolerances are within 5 thou for headspace so I assume there will be shouldered prefit barrels available by the time you would need one.
Even if the new actions are manufactured in a way that would allow prefit shouldered barrels to work, i highly doubt anyone is going to put them out there. Way too many older Remington 700s (pre-rem arms era) out there that wouldnt headspace properly for someone to assume that risk. Relying on a customer to "only use on SN above XXXX" is basically a receipe for disaster from a companies standpoint.

If starting, take what you have! Don't drop coin until you know what you want.

IF you don't have something currently then either a stock tikka or the Howa Barreled Action+KRG Bravo in 6.5 creedmoor. (With respects the FuhQ, my recent one is a hammer, $450 from Brownells + KRG Bravo: Under 1K for a rifle that can win any local PRS match. The asshole shooting it is the problem--its not sexy, but it works).
Tikka
Howa
Bergara (if you want remington accessories--but they've had some QC issues--minor, but the above 2 I'd hit first).

Why that over 308? 6.5 is the 21st century 308. It is now basically more popular (ammo availability), has much better ballistics and slightly less recoil. It isn't some obscure wildcat. You will have to endure the gay manbun taunts but here's a secret

we all own at least 1

I would start on a 223. Much cheaper to shoot, which means you will practice more, and easier to learn the fundamentals. It will have no issue shooting out to 600 yards and beyond.

308 recoil can be a challenge to manage unless the gun is on the heavy side. 6.5 Creedmoor would be a better choice but ammo isn't cheap either.

Edit to add: Older Remingtons have 1:9 and 1:12 twist barrels. The new ones have 1:8 which will allow you to shoot the heavier 69-77 grain ammunition.

Reactions: xsn10s and st1650
In all seriousness go to a shoot and see what others are using. Maybe try and get behind a few and find something you like. See where their build started from.

Perusing this form is a great way to get more in depth info on parts/find them cheaper in the px.

IMG_4682.png

Tikka is what I'm going with at the moment. I doing precision .22 LR. Going with Arken 5-25.
Tikka with a stock.
Second would be a CZ varmint might go with another stock as well.
Both have good triggers, will want to up grade at some point.
Go cheap and spend money on ammo and shooting.

Keep shooting your 22 and save up

You can get an Aero Solus platform and be miles ahead of a factory rifle if your patient.

I'm a long time AR & pistol guy. I wanted to expand my skills and decided to do some longer range shooting. I did a ton of research on bolt guns before I bought a Savage Axis Precision in .223.

I have an abundance of 223 ammo and reload. I also shoot at least 3x. I wasn't interested in having to setup for a new caliber to reload and the 223 can reach 1000 yards.

Savage gets the catcalls from Internet corksniffers, but they make a hell of a gun. I live in rural Arkansas where hunting is a way of life and Savages are abundant because they work.

I installed a Desh bolt lift kit and a longer bolt handle & knob for $70.00 and been shooting the hell out of this thing. Rapidly expanding my skills and it's a blast to shoot.

I'm a target shooter in that I aim to hit the target aka bullseye. MOA means little if you can't it the bullseye to begin with and this thing is fully capable of shooting at ranges beyond my current skill level.

I think the Savage Precision is a helluva gun overall.

I purchased a new Remington 700 300 win mag for $540 total cost.
I wanted it just for the action .
But before I took off the barrel of the new rifle.
I decided to shoot it, with some handloads to see what a cheap rifle was capable of.
It was surprisingly accurate.
Not that I really cared because it's a doner action for another project.
It really liked IMR 7828 and 200 gr SMK, putting the first 3 or 4 in one ragged hole, with the another one close, which could be the shooter, or barrel heating up.
Either way it was pretty accurate for a cheap hunting rifle.
Obviously can't say they are all that way, this is just one example, of a new Remington 700.
I believe many of the new factory rifles are quite good with CNC manufacturing.
Choose whatever you like.

Attachments

• 20231118_144135.jpg
    20231118_144135.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 19
I've handled a few of the new RemArms and they feel loads better than the old stuff. Granted, not as nice as a Tikka or Bergara, but much improved and it's already on a 700 footprint, which is really nice as well. I seriously doubt anyone is going to be making shouldered prefits for them anytime soon though. Liability suicide.

What is your budget?
You could build off an ARC CDG pretty cheap and be far ahead compared to a Rem700,
Tikka isn't a bad option either.

What is your budget?
You could build off an ARC CDG pretty cheap and be far ahead compared to a Rem700,
Tikka isn't a bad option either.
The CDG would be awesome for OP but definitely over his stated budget of $800.00
Looking at probably $2k for a cheap CDG build + an optic.

The CDG would be awesome for OP but definitely over his stated budget of $800.00
Looking at probably $2k for a cheap CDG build + an optic.
I missed that. Honestly at $800 you can't really do it short of just shoot something off the shelf or that you already have. Closest option is going to be a Howa Barreled action in a KRG Bravo but that's still 850+ tax (if you are going pure budget this is a good option).
But then you still need an optic and ammo, also a bag and bipod.

IMO if your budget is $800 you should take some time and save a few more pennies and build something a bit nicer that you won't want to ditch right away.

I built this Rem 700 308 for $834...not counting the scope.
The action was free, the Bartlein 5R 9 twist Rem varmint countour cut to 22".
Threaded for muzzle brake and chambered free, as I already own the reamer.
It shoots .715 BC 200 SMK at 2740 fps with Lapua cases. More velocity with hybrid cases, but that is for serious reloaders.
Good for 1700 yds depending on elevation.

You can do the same without the machine work. Get a Remington 700 Action, with 308 bolt, get a prefit 9 twist and a go gauge,
Stock HS $345 on sale, or Aluminum chassis available for $300 to $400, with detachable center feed, for long bullets.
Thread it together, and torque up the stock screws, the aluminum bedding block and alum chassis require no further attention like skim bedding according to the manufacturer.
Remington triggers are internationally adjustable and reliable at 2 lbs, without aftermarket triggers to buy and you are competitive...with lots of practice.
The lighter calibers have less recoil for those who prefer little recoil the 6 mms are good.

Attachments

• 20240408_181808.jpg
    20240408_181808.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 50
Newbie here lol I recently discovered this place but I feel Id definitely get a lot more help than anywhere else.

Im considering a higher power rifle for some precision shooting (2-350 yards) practice to upgrade from my Savage MkII bull barrel 22lr for 50-100 yds

From that alone that shows Im a novice on bolt actions, but looking to improve and get something I could potentially have for hunting as well as longer range shooting.

Im looking into a 308 win rifle. Something within a fairly common cartridge thats locally available, and been hovering around a few set of rifles: ruger american, savage axis, howa 1500, and the remington 700 (insert “bergara and or tikka) Mostly due to price as I cannot afford an over $800 bolt action for this atm, but would be open to building (doubting the price would be the same or lower).

After the whole debacle of Freedom company and Remington sometime ago, is (what I consider) the classic remington 700 getting in 2024?

Im not hoping to spend too terribly much as it would be a workhorse to use for practicing some longer range shooting.

The cons Id consider would be the difficulty of working on them, remingtons have the most aftermarket support out of any of the mentioned manufacturers (second being ruger), but are hell to rebarrel due to needing to have the barrel rethreaded to match the specific receiver. This makes me worry as even as a novice, I am confident I can rebarrel my rifle and learn to maintain my tools but with precision tooling needed for that, I definitely hesitate on the rifle I really want
Honestly, I wouldn't buy any factory action based rifle off the shelf for what you're wanting... I'd buy an Aero Solus 20" 6.5 Creed with a spiral-fluted M24 contour barrel on it, and go shoot and have fun. You get essentially a custom action that you can buy prefit barrels for (Origin prefits fit the Solus action), and you get 60º bolt throw and 3-lugs. It's also factory designed to run both AICS and AW mags. It uses 700 Clone triggers, and 700 stocks & chassis. And it has a full-length integrated 20MOA rail made into the top for added strength and rigidity. The action is a hefty beast at 2 lbs. 4oz. for a stripped action.

What you would end up spending on ANY factory rifle to get it to shoot and work this smooth and well, would cost you as much, or more, and still would be inferior.

I built this Rem 700 308 for $834...not counting the scope.
The action was free, the Bartlein 5R 9 twist Rem varmint countour cut to 22".
Threaded for muzzle brake and chambered free, as I already own the reamer.
It shoots .715 BC 200 SMK at 2740 fps with Lapua cases. More velocity with hybrid cases, but that is for serious reloaders.
Good for 1700 yds depending on elevation.

You can do the same without the machine work. Get a Remington 700 Action, with 308 bolt, get a prefit 9 twist and a go gauge,
Stock HS $345 on sale, or Aluminum chassis available for $300 to $400, with detachable center feed, for long bullets.
Thread it together, and torque up the stock screws, the aluminum bedding block and alum chassis require no further attention like skim bedding according to the manufacturer.
Remington triggers are internationally adjustable and reliable at 2 lbs, without aftermarket triggers to buy and you are competitive...with lots of practice.
The lighter calibers have less recoil for those who prefer little recoil the 6 mms are good.
You obviously haven't priced a factory 700 action lately... They're about $600 by itself before any other parts and work... I have a safe full of custom 700's I built back when I could buy 700 ADL's for $250 from the junk bin at my LGS... But those days are now long-gone, unfortunately. You can't even buy a stripped 700 action for less than $600-700 now. At that price, you'd be miles ahead to buy a Solus or CDG and start your build from there with a prefit.

You obviously haven't priced a factory 700 action lately... They're about $600 by itself before any other parts and work... I have a safe full of custom 700's I built back when I could buy 700 ADL's for $250 from the junk bin at my LGS... But those days are now long-gone, unfortunately. You can't even buy a stripped 700 action for less than $600-700 now. At that price, you'd be miles ahead to buy a Solus or CDG and start your build from there with a prefit.

Actually I have, and bought a New complete Rem 700 ADL in 300 WM for $540 total cost at Sportsmans Warehouse, on sale a few months back...just for the action .

Midway has the complete action with trigger for $579 fight now I just put a 308 bolt RH in the cart.

Used 700 Remingtons in a pa
wn shop, might be the way to go...buy the whole rifle.

Pre fits are available for the 700 from everyone who makes them.

Plus a huge variety of aftermarket stocks and chassis to choose from, with detachable mags available at cheap to reasonable prices...depending on how you want to go.

So $579 for the action...
Recoil lug, $30
Oryx chassis $400, some are $300 depending on taste. But come with need stock bolts.
Detachable mag.. MDT without the support plate, center feed for 2.990" cartridges. $85
Go gauge $40
And pre fit barrel and barrel nut, of your choice. $$$. Then assemble. It should be a pretty good rifle for a beginner.

He should get what he can afford to get started, most will up grade later...if they stay with it.
It is becoming more and more ridiculously expensive all the time. Hard to recommend any of it with powders escalating in price by the month....$65 or $70 a pound..if its available. Cheap alternative being $35 to $45 per pound.

Most people here consider pre fit barrels to be shouldered barrels. A Remage barrel with nut does work fine but is not a pre fit barrel.
Plus, the old Remington 700's were nowhere near the consistent runout tolerances to trust a shouldered prefit without checking with both Go & No-Go gauges, and even then, it's a crap-shoot whether you will need to take it to the smith for final cleanup of the receiver face to ensure it's square with the lug and shoulder, and for precise fitment and headspace...This is just my personal experiences with over a dozen of 700 actions that I've personally own(ed), and many others that friends have owned.

Most people here consider pre fit barrels to be shouldered barrels. A Remage barrel with nut does work fine but is not a pre fit barrel.
The manufacturers of pre fit barrels, also make per fits for Remington, Savage , Ruger, called pre fit with the barrel nut attachment method.
They work fine and many are accurate

Then for high end actions like BAT or Definance Rukus they make shouldered pre fit barrels...because they guarantee the close tolerences, and charge accordingly.
Just the facts.
Why all the animosity for lower end products that still help shooters obtain a more competitive rifle or something to their liking that they can afford.

Reactions: 308pirate

Just buy a MPA production gun. You can use a code to get like 20% off. Nothing will come close to quality for the price and you won't need to replace it in a year like you will with anything else you will buy. In the end, it will be much cheaper.

Last edited:
The manufacturers of pre fit barrels, also make per fits for Remington, Savage , Ruger, called pre fit with the barrel nut attachment method.
They work fine and many are accurate

Then for high end actions like BAT or Definance Rukus they make shouldered pre fit barrels...because they guarantee the close tolerences, and charge accordingly.
Just the facts.
Why all the animosity for lower end products that still help shooters obtain a more competitive rifle or something to their liking that they can afford.
What animosity? You are reading something into my post that was never said nor implied. Try to pay attention.

• Haha
Reactions: 45-90
Plus, the old Remington 700's were nowhere near the consistent runout tolerances to trust a shouldered prefit without checking with both Go & No-Go gauges, and even then, it's a crap-shoot whether you will need to take it to the smith for final cleanup of the receiver face to ensure it's square with the lug and shoulder, and for precise fitment and headspace...This is just my personal experiences with over a dozen of 700 actions that I've personally own(ed), and many others that friends have owned.
I happen to like Remington 700 actions, and true them with ease.
They are just as accurate as any other action...shown 5 shot groups with different powders and bullets the average of 13, 5 shot groups that day was .313" trued Remington 700.
A better shooter could do better, but this 700 action was off a factory varmint made in 1972 $199 for the whole rifle. Truing free. Built the whole rifle, from a Bartlein blank, trued the action after barrel take off and loaded ammo in 12 hrs, and out shooting groups the next day.

The barrel is much more important than the action...unless you plan to run those 100,000 plus psi loads, talked about.
Cost nothing, but my time, cause I already own the machine tools, inspection tools, and tooling.
For me the Rem 700 rocks, one can build a very accurate rifle, for very little...
And I can't help it that you never became a machinist, "the best job in the world."

Attachments

• 20211205_140927.jpg
    20211205_140927.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210603_232500.jpg
    20210603_232500.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 29
They are just as accurate as any other action...shown 5 shot groups with different powders and bullets the average of 13, 5 shot groups that day was .313" trued Remington 700.
A better shooter could do better, but this 700 action was off a factory varmint made in 1972 $199 for the whole rifle. Truing free. Built the whole rifle, from a Bartlein blank, trued the action after barrel take off and loaded ammo in 12 hrs, and out shooting groups the next day.

The barrel is much more important than the action...unless you plan to run those 100,000 plus psi loads, talked about.
Cost nothing, but my time, cause I already own the machine tools, inspection tools, and tooling.
For me the Rem 700 rocks, one can build a very accurate rifle, for very little...
And I can't help it that you never became a machinist, "the best job in the world."
I happen to like them, as well... I own/have owned well over a dozen of them...Mostly customs I built off 700 actions. I have plenty that shoot 1/4 MOA (or better) with handloads. And all for VERY reasonable budgets, but that was 10+ years ago prices and when 700 action supply was greater than demand. But in today's market, it's honestly more feasible to just start with a Solus for $600-650 or a CDG for $750-850 and build from there.

And I agree that the barrel and chamber is more important than the name on the action, but 90º 2-lug is a bit outdated of a design. Most folks want shorter throws and more lugs for strength and balance of pressures (3 lugs handle greater pressures, and more evenly, than 2 lug actions)...Plus the 60º bolt throw is really nice and fast.

That said... IF the OP already had the 700 action and considered the cost of it as a write-off, and the only expenses he has are smith fees, and a barrel, then by all means, go with the 700 build. But if starting from scratch, Solus or CDG all day long, IMO.

As a matter of fact, I was a custom metal fabricator and welder for over 20 years...I've been around a mill and lathe once or twice... 😉

Reactions: lash and Taylorbok
What animosity? You are reading something into my post that was never said nor implied. Try to pay attention.
" Most people here consider pre fits to be shouldered barrels".. your quote.

A rather all inclusive aristocratic snobbish statement.

I for one, don't agree, and it appears, neither do the many manufacturers of pre fit barrels.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
@45-90 you are basing your rifle builds off free actions or 1972 pricing. The fact is you are at least $500 to get a Rem 700 plus getting it trued up and then you are still left with several short comings of that action, you can have most of it rectified but at that point you would be much farther ahead with a CDG or other custom action. Unless he already has a donor 700 action but I don't think he does. I built a 700 REM before I knew better and I still like that rifle and it hammers but if I could go back I'd have never put a penny into it and started fresh.

I agree with @FuhQ that a Remage is not the same as a shouldered pre fit but that's splitting hairs and they can shoot very well. It doesn't matter anyways because you will still be well over $800.

Reactions: FuhQ and lash
My old Remingtons shoot well even though they aren't trued. Even my 1990's era PSS shoots well, and it's exterior dimensions are off. As are it's scope mount holes. I doubt you'll have to true a new Remarms action. They finish machining after heat treat. The tolerances are supposed to be like within .0003" from lug abutments to receiver face, and with .0002" from boltface to receiver face. And I might be wrong but it's sounding like the chambers are cnc machined and the barrels should just screw on. I'm pretty happy with my 700 ADL. It shoots far better than a standard hunting barrel should.

• Haha
Reactions: Taylorbok

I for one, don't agree, and it appears, neither do the many manufacturers of pre fit barrels.
Barrels nuts are kind of......Cheap. Do they work? Sure. Are they ideal? No. Is a shouldered prefit a much more refined (better) and consistent solution for a switch-barrel option? Absolutely.

My statement stands as written. I didn’t ask your opinion, as you freely give it as gospel all the time. Nor are you “most people on this forum.” Nor did I reference manufacturers. As for snobbish, how about go be poor somewhere else. Does that now make me fit into your distorted view of me?

I certainly hope so. 😘

My statement stands as written. I didn’t ask your opinion, as you freely give it as gospel all the time. Nor are you “most people on this forum.” Nor did I reference manufacturers. As for snobbish, how about go be poor somewhere else. Does that now make me fit into your distorted view of me?

I certainly hope so. 😘
Absolutely, I nailed It again! You clowns are sooo easy.

@45-90 you are basing your rifle builds off free actions or 1972 pricing. The fact is you are at least $500 to get a Rem 700 plus getting it trued up and then you are still left with several short comings of that action, you can have most of it rectified but at that point you would be much farther ahead with a CDG or other custom action. Unless he already has a donor 700 action but I don't think he does. I built a 700 REM before I knew better and I still like that rifle and it hammers but if I could go back I'd have never put a penny into it and started fresh.

I agree with @FuhQ that a Remage is not the same as a shouldered pre fit but that's splitting hairs and they can shoot very well. It doesn't matter anyways because you will still be well over $800.
Yes, that's why I mentioned pawn shops, but gun stores, gun shows, friends, some estate sales, are good places to find used Rem 700 guns for their actions, or others like Savage or Ruger that already use a barrel nut. Then add your new pre fit with barrel nut.
Should be able to make a fairly cheap, but accurate rifle, for the beginner, to have fun and learn from.. which was the original intent, a fairly accurate buget rifle.

What is the process you go through to true a remington 700?

Also I settled and ended up with a remington 700 sps 20”. Its a newer one and so far no issues from what I was looking for in it.

Waiting for my background to clear but so far I look very much forward to it. I live in the garbage hellhole that is cali and in the month of june we can purchase unlimited firearms vs 30 cool downs but in July we get a sales tax on firearms and ammo… (thanks Gavin Hairgel Newsome, bastard…)

Aside from that, Im doing a hell of a lot of planning and buying at the moment because this is gonna damn us here even further.

308 is plentiful as hell in my area, but 6.5 is still niche and uncommon unless you reload as box store prices are high and usually its only hunting ammo

Last edited:

Also I settled and ended up with a remington 700 sps 20”. Its a newer one and so far no issues from what I was looking for in it.

Waiting for my background to clear but so far I look very much forward to it. I live in the garbage hellhole that is cali and in the month of june we can purchase unlimited firearms vs 30 cool downs but in July we get a sales tax on firearms and ammo… (thanks Gavin Hairgel Newsome, bastard…)

Aside from that, Im doing a hell of a lot of planning and buying at the moment because this is gonna damn us here even further.

308 is plentiful as hell in my area, but 6.5 is still niche and uncommon unless you reload as box store prices are high and usually its only hunting ammo
It takes a good metal lathe and the ability to use it. Some carbide tooling is available, but expensive. I use it to get excellent finishes.
There are videos on it, but it's probably not something the average guy will do without some machining background.
Chase, or recut reciever threads, reface, cut square bolt seat, on boly cut back of bolt lugs square. Blue die is applied so the cuts are only to clean up ... no more.
Too much off anywhere takes away from caming action of the bolt handle caming the round out of the chamber.
I also chamber the barrels. So all that work is free, for me.
It would be nice to learn to hand load for the rifle you have, and see what it will do as is.
A good barrel and bullets it likes, is where most of the accuracy is at.
Remember, barrels, bullets, and bedding, like free floating barrels.
Will get you the acccuracy you need, probably without any action work.
Some just lap the lugs in and call it a day... videos on that...and its easy to check with blue dyekum.
I have taken a factory Rem 20" to 1000yds before doing all the work and a new barrel
I put 8,000 rds through it, shot it as is.
The longer barrels did better for me 26," for 1000 to 1400yds, then went to build my own rifles.
There us a video of the Australian shooting couple who take a stock Remington police barreled action, put it in an aluminum chassis, and take it to 3000 yds and make 2 hits in a row out of 10 shots. The load was Varget and Berger 200.2 20X bullets.
And why I suggested and aluminum bedding block stock or chassis.
They are better than me...but, its really mindset and practice with purpose...if you want to succeed, work hard, and you will, succeed.
Picture of facing the Rem 700 reciever to just clean up. With threaded carbide centering mandrel in place.
The next picture is a new Rem 700 in 300 Win Mag $540, but put in an aluminum chassis, with 200 gr Sierra MK .715 BC...
Nothing else done to this stock new Rem 700, the barrel likes the bullet and the bedding is fixed with the chassis.
Remember the 3 Bs. Barrel, bullets, and bedded.
If you new rifle shoots like this new Rem 700, time to go shooting, and stretch it out.
8000 rds of 308 learning experience is now available, no further investment needed, for now...so how ya like it and tons of money can be spent later, looking for improvement.

Attachments

• 20210603_230502.jpg
    20210603_230502.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231118_144135.jpg
    20231118_144135.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 30

You will likely find that it shoots every bit as well as you can, maybe better.
If this is the newer model with the Timney trigger, it likely doesn't need any truing as they have apparently moved the final maching to after heat treating.
The best thing to do for it is to put it in a decent chassis.
MDT XRS or Oryx for mid price the Field stock is an improvement over the factory Hogue stock.
I have a couple of the KRG Bravo stocks and like them, but found the fit wasn't great for me when shooting heavier recoiling calibers.

Reactions: lash
It takes a good metal lathe and the ability to use it. Some carbide tooling is available, but expensive. I use it to get excellent finishes.
There are videos on it, but it's probably not something the average guy will do without some machining background.
Chase, or recut reciever threads, reface, cut square bolt seat, on boly cut back of bolt lugs square. Blue die is applied so the cuts are only to clean up ... no more.
Too much off anywhere takes away from caming action of the bolt handle caming the round out of the chamber.
I also chamber the barrels. So all that work is free, for me.
It would be nice to learn to hand load for the rifle you have, and see what it will do as is.
A good barrel and bullets it likes, is where most of the accuracy is at.
Remember, barrels, bullets, and bedding, like free floating barrels.
Will get you the acccuracy you need, probably without any action work.
Some just lap the lugs in and call it a day... videos on that...and its easy to check with blue dyekum.
I have taken a factory Rem 20" to 1000yds before doing all the work and a new barrel
I put 8,000 rds through it, shot it as is.
The longer barrels did better for me 26," for 1000 to 1400yds, then went to build my own rifles.
There us a video of the Australian shooting couple who take a stock Remington police barreled action, put it in an aluminum chassis, and take it to 3000 yds and make 2 hits in a row out of 10 shots. The load was Varget and Berger 200.2 20X bullets.
And why I suggested and aluminum bedding block stock or chassis.
They are better than me...but, its really mindset and practice with purpose...if you want to succeed, work hard, and you will, succeed.
Picture of facing the Rem 700 reciever to just clean up. With threaded carbide centering mandrel in place.
The next picture is a new Rem 700 in 300 Win Mag $540, but put in an aluminum chassis, with 200 gr Sierra MK .715 BC...
Nothing else done to this stock new Rem 700, the barrel likes the bullet and the bedding is fixed with the chassis.
Remember the 3 Bs. Barrel, bullets, and bedded.
If you new rifle shoots like this new Rem 700, time to go shooting, and stretch it out.
8000 rds of 308 learning experience is now available, no further investment needed, for now...so how ya like it and tons of money can be spent later, looking for improvement.
Would you explain what this has to do with the original poster’s question? He asked about off the shelf current production 700s and whether they are worth getting as a beginners rifle for PRS.

Please try to stay on topic or start a thread of your own in the gunsmithing section to illustrate how one goes about being a gun machinist.