• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Scope Help

HMRamateur

Will work for powder
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2019
After weeks of scouring threads, researching all of the scopes I'm about to list, I've learned that they are all good scopes, but the best thing to do is look through them and let my eyes decide. Herein lies the problem...

Living in Canada means that finding these scopes in stock locally is very difficult, let alone in the same store to compare side by side. It also means that their price gap is wider here than in the states. There's a difference of $1400 between the cheapest and most expensive on my list, so of course theres a debate over whether the more expensive options are worth it. But I also know ill be left wondering if I cheaped out unnecessarily. So I'm looking for the collective experience of the hide to help at least make my list a little smaller if possible.

Burris XTR III 5.5-30x56 - $2100 CDN
Bushnell XRS3 - $2350 CDN
Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 - $3100 CDN
Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 - $3500 CDN (is the only difference between the 2 the magnification range and objective size?)
Burris XTR Pro - $3450 CDN
Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 - $3400 CDN

For reference, this scope will be going on a PRS rifle. Thanks in advance

I think the XTR pro or S3 will serve you best. I’d go 6-36 personally in the S3 line. I think the reticle is great and glass seems to be really good. How much is a razor 3 or an ATACR 7-35 in CDN?

I think the XTR pro or S3 will serve you best. I’d go 6-36 personally in the S3 line. I think the reticle is great and glass seems to be really good. How much is a razor 3 or an ATACR 7-35 in CDN?
Razor gen 3 is $4450 and 5-25 ATACR is about $4200. These get a ton of love on this site, but I'm not sure I can justify those prices just yet.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
Out of that list first would be either S3 and second would be the Pro. The S3 is an excellent optic and a great reticle for holds used in matches. 4-25x will work fine but if you can swing the 6-36 it wouldn't hurt to have the extra power if you needed.

Reactions: HMRamateur
After weeks of scouring threads, researching all of the scopes I'm about to list, I've learned that they are all good scopes, but the best thing to do is look through them and let my eyes decide. Herein lies the problem...

Living in Canada means that finding these scopes in stock locally is very difficult, let alone in the same store to compare side by side. It also means that their price gap is wider here than in the states. There's a difference of $1400 between the cheapest and most expensive on my list, so of course theres a debate over whether the more expensive options are worth it. But I also know ill be left wondering if I cheaped out unnecessarily. So I'm looking for the collective experience of the hide to help at least make my list a little smaller if possible.

Burris XTR III 5.5-30x56 - $2100 CDN
Bushnell XRS3 - $2350 CDN
Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 - $3100 CDN
Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 - $3500 CDN (is the only difference between the 2 the magnification range and objective size?)
Burris XTR Pro - $3450 CDN
Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 - $3400 CDN

For reference, this scope will be going on a PRS rifle. Thanks in advance
In no particular order…

Burris XTR-PRO 5.5-30x56 SCR2
Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 ZF-MRi
Vortex Razor Gen3 6-36x56 Black Edition (EuroOptic exclusive)
Burris XTR-3i 5.5-30x56 SCR2
Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 SCR2
Kahles K624i 6-24x56 CCW RSW SKMR4

Out of that list first would be either S3 and second would be the Pro. The S3 is an excellent optic and a great reticle for holds used in matches. 4-25x will work fine but if you can swing the 6-36 it wouldn't hurt to have the extra power if you needed.
I knew you'd say that, I've seen you praise that optic quite a bit in multiple threads. It's a front runner for that reason.

In no particular order…

Burris XTR-PRO 5.5-30x56 SCR2
Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 ZF-MRi
Burris XTR-3i 5.5-30x56 SCR2
Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 SCR2
Kahles K624i 6-24x56 CCW RSW SKMR4
The kahles is pretty comparable price wise to the others, but seems like an older design. Does it still stack up?

Alright, so far it looks like no one has mentioned the lower priced options (XRS3 and XTRIII) so the price gap must be worth it even at our goofy currency.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
I think most of us subscribe to the buy once cry once motto and while these admittedly aren’t the top of the top (ZCO, TT, etc.) they represent a good value proposition. These optics are more than enough to get you started and you can grow with them for years to come. They won’t be something that you’ll immediately want to replace after a few months.

Zeiss S3 of those. The Razor G3 msrp is around 4400 but you can find them much cheaper that that

I think most of us subscribe to the buy once cry once motto and while these admittedly aren’t the top of the top (ZCO, TT, etc.) they represent a good value proposition. These optics are more than enough to get you started and you can grow with them for years to come. They won’t be something that you’ll immediately want to replace after a few months.
The ZCO 527 is almost 6 grand and the TT is over 7 here. The day I can afford the AXSR I want is the day I'll also be buying one of those haha

Alright, so far it looks like no one has mentioned the lower priced options (XRS3 and XTRIII) so the price gap must be worth it even at our goofy currency.

Tried the Bushnell XRS3 and wasn't a fan. Glass is below the Pro and well below the S3s. The XTRIII is decent for it's price range but if you can afford better then get it.

And I had a few Razor G3s and I wouldn't trade my S3s for one. I like the glass and reticle better in the S3.

Tried the Bushnell XRS3 and wasn't a fan. Glass is below the Pro and well below the S3s. The XTRIII is decent for it's price range but if you can afford better then get it.

And I had a few Razor G3s and I wouldn't trade my S3s for one. I like the glass and reticle better in the S3.
With how much love the G3 gets here I'd love to have one for myself, but the price is a little much here. Good to know the S3 is that good because I can certainly swing that.

The kahles is pretty comparable price wise to the others, but seems like an older design. Does it still stack up?
Yes, the newest generation has virtually no CA, and has incredible IQ. Like was mentioned, FOV is really nice and the turrets are some of the best you'll ever feel...Smooth, but distinct and tactile. The mechanicals of the scope are butter-smooth. I have 2 of them, and they are excellent. I also have a current gen K318i CCW RSW SKMR3 on my main hunting rifle, and it's a phenomenal scope, too.

A lot of people dogging on the Kahles are thinking of the previous generations (I think they're on Gen2 or Gen3 now), and have not looked through a current generation model. A Kahles rep told me that when Kahles came out with the K525i, they had to update the K624i to keep it relevant, but wanted to keep it at the same price point, since the prices of the K525i were going to be higher. So they used the same glass and everything as the K525i (different lens magnifications, obviously), but same glass, coatings, erectors, turrets, etc... but kept the original K624i tube and 10 MIL turrets, and design.

If you contact @Euro.Connor he can probably get you a really good price on one. Not sure how it goes shipping up to Canadia, but what he saves you might be able to help who the exchange rate.

Or, if you know someone in the states, have them buy it for you at the cheaper price, then have them ship it to you once they receive it from EuroOptic.

I'll second what Rob was saying, that the Zeiss LRP S3 is a hell of a lot of scope for the money. I've got a 6-36x56 ZF-MRi version on my modded-up R700 5R Milspec .260 Rem.

IMG_1288.jpeg

Yes, the newest generation has virtually no CA, and has incredible IQ. Like was mentioned, FOV is really nice and the turrets are some of the best you'll ever feel...Smooth, but distinct and tactile. The mechanicals of the scope are butter-smooth. I have 2 of them, and they are excellent. I also have a current gen K318i CCW RSW SKMR3 on my main hunting rifle, and it's a phenomenal scope, too.

A lot of people dogging on the Kahles are thinking of the previous generations (I think they're on Gen2 or Gen3 now), and have not looked through a current generation model. A Kahles rep told me that when Kahles came out with the K525i, they had to update the K624i to keep it relevant, but wanted to keep it at the same price point, since the prices of the K525i were going to be higher. So they used the same glass and everything as the K525i (different lens magnifications, obviously), but same glass, coatings, erectors, turrets, etc... but kept the original K624i tube and 10 MIL turrets, and design.

If you contact @Euro.Connor he can probably get you a really good price on one. Not sure how it goes shipping up to Canadia, but what he saves you might be able to help who the exchange rate.

Or, if you know someone in the states, have them buy it for you at the cheaper price, then have them ship it to you once they receive it from EuroOptic.

I'm clueless , but is that legal to have someone buy and ship it over the border? And then what about Kahles warranty if they see it was bought in the states and ended up in Canada? Just wondering because dealing with Kahles is a bitch anyway it was 20 years ago don't know if its any better now, but they are on my do not consider list for it .

I'm clueless , but is that legal to have someone buy and ship it over the border? And then what about Kahles warranty if they see it was bought in the states and ended up in Canada? Just wondering because dealing with Kahles is a bitch anyway it was 20 years ago don't know if its any better now, but they are on my do not consider list for it .
No clue... I mean, it's a damn scope (unregulated item), not a gun... So, I have no idea, but I wouldn't think so. PierreLand is kind of stupid about certain shit, so I could be wrong on that. He'd need to check on that beforehand, but people buy and ship shit all over the world. You can buy an AndiScan from Czechoslovakia, and have it shipped here without any issues... You would think a doppler radar would be a lot more regulated than a rifle scope... But other countries do stupid shit. 🤷🏼

Your opinion is your opinion... I've never needed to use their warranty, and been using Kahles scopes for 20 years.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think scopes fall under the same restrictions as other firearm parts. I can get it imported through a specific dealer that only charges $50 import fee for firearm parts, but it could take a few months for the process. Could be worth it for a really good sale that Canada would never get, and if I didn't mind waiting. But most of the time it isn't worth the extra hassle, in my opinion at least. I've never done it so take it with a grain of salt.

No clue... I mean, it's a damn scope (unregulated item), not a gun... So, I have no idea, but I wouldn't think so. PierreLand is kind of stupid about certain shit, so I could be wrong on that. He'd need to check on that beforehand, but people buy and ship shit all over the world. You can buy an AndiScan from Czechoslovakia, and have it shipped here without any issues... You would think a doppler radar would be a lot more regulated than a rifle scope... But other countries do stupid shit. 🤷🏼

Your opinion is your opinion... I've never needed to use their warranty, and been using Kahles scopes for 20 years.
I guess you never delt with Canadian or US customs going over the border with anything, so let's just say its a shitshow. That's with a Mazak, or a load of groceries. But being firearm related i would not assume anything.
As far as customer service and warranty screw them, 2 years to get something resolved bullshit.

I guess you never delt with Canadian or US customs going over the border with anything, so let's just say its a shitshow. That's with a Mazak, or a load of groceries. But being firearm related i would not assume anything.
As far as customer service and warranty screw them, 2 years to get something resolved bullshit.
Nope, I have no need, or desire to go to Canada.

because the (EuroOptic exclusive) Strike Eagle version of the G3 Razor tracks much better than the standard Burple version

@HMRamateur of that list, S3 no question, preferably 6-36. Zeiss has a customer service center in Toronto, so that will almost certainly be your best bet if something goes wrong.

Forget the Steiner. Look into how Burris handles Canadian CS requests in Canada before considering any of those (might be fine, I have no idea). I’d still consider the G3 Razor too, but I'd call Vortex first & ask about how they deal w/ Canadian CS issues - they'll give you an honest answer

Last edited:
Nope, I have no need, or desire to go to Canada.
Not much reason to come here and I'm slowly losing my reasons to stay. I want sale prices without having to pay an exchange rate too

Reactions: FuhQ
because the (EuroOptic exclusive) Strike Eagle version of the G3 Razor tracks much better than the standard Burple version
Your sarcasm is only exacerbated by your lack of awareness… The EuroOptic black one is only $2,449, whereas the rusty shit brown version is typically $3k+… Thus putting the black one in the same price category as the other scopes mentioned. 👍🏼

Burple G3 Razors are only $3k if you are impulsive and have no idea where to buy one for $2k

8gw5b4.gif

IMG_5095.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: nrspence
Question on reticle. What is the low end of mag range for using the reticle between the razor g3 and the s3 (both 6-36)?

I've been using a Bushnell DMRii pro for a while now and it never goes above 18x, so I'm quite used to running it on 15x and never having to play with the mag ring to find a target and still use the reticle subtensions.

Question on reticle. What is the low end of mag range for using the reticle between the razor g3 and the s3 (both 6-36)?

I've been using a Bushnell DMRii pro for a while now and it never goes above 18x, so I'm quite used to running it on 15x and never having to play with the mag ring to find a target and still use the reticle subtensions.

Was out today with my S3s and took a look and I was able to get down to 8x and still see the subtensions on my reticle enough to use them for holds so 10x and above will be plenty easy enough to use it for holds in matches.