• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS - Shooting with Hand on Scope

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
On a lot of positional stages, I feel most comfortable with my hand on the scope, rather than extended, clinching the bag and side of my chassis.

Right now, I just have regular rings and my bubble level there where I put my hand and it's kind of hard to get the same hold each time.

Would I be better off getting a Vortex Diving Board or a set of Hawkins rings that has the bubble installed along with the pic rail for better hand placement?

Just curious how others find the best setup for your hand placement, if you are a shooter who put their hand on the scope? TIA.

Last edited:
As long as your hand is around the area with the rings, you're fine. It will be difficult to flex the tube around the erector housing and rings.

If you put your hand on the objective, you can easily change your POI.

You can add a diving board if you want as it will work as well.

I've done both but have gone back to hand over scope. I have a Hawkins mount with diving board. Going hand over scope keeps your position consistent no matter the prop or positions. With hand out front on the stock/chassis, there are some positions that you just can't do that technique. I.e. skinny windows.

My Leupold Mark 4 Super High rings give me enough room to put my fingers on the scope rail, under the scope, and I have found this to be repeatable.

-Stan

I shoot hand over scope most often. I've tried ARC, Area 419, Spuhr, and Hawkins mounts all with diving baords. So far, the Hawkins mount has been the most comfortable, and most effective solution for me. My only problem is it doesn't leave any room for a send it mount other than scope mounted which tends to shift on me. Working on a solution to that currently, but that's a bit off topic.

Reactions: Mormegil87
I shoot hand over scope most often. I've tried ARC, Area 419, Spuhr, and Hawkins mounts all with diving baords. So far, the Hawkins mount has been the most comfortable, and most effective solution for me. My only problem is it doesn't leave any room for a send it mount other than scope mounted which tends to shift on me. Working on a solution to that currently, but that's a bit off topic.

If you can find another mounting location on the rifle, put it wherever you can that it won't move and get one of these:

If you can find another mounting location on the rifle, put it wherever you can that it won't move and get one of these:

I've got that currently. Problem is there's not really anywhere on the mount or action rail I can go with it. I don't care for mounting it on the chassis. Working on making a piece that puts it by the bell and attaches to the mount. Will require some modifications but nothing major.

On a lot of positional stages, I feel most comfortable with my hand on the scope, rather than extended, clinching the bag and side of my chassis.

Right now, I just have regular rings and my bubble level there where I put my hand and it's kind of hard to get the same hold each time.

Would I be better off getting a Vortex Diving Board or a set of Hawkins rings that has the bubble installed along with the pic rail for better hand placement?

Just curious how others find the best setup for your hand placement, if you are a shooter who put their hand on the scope? TIA.
I alternate between Hawkins with the raptar mount and spuhr without anything. Hand goes on the diving board on one rifle and over the front ring in the other. No difference in performance. No way am I flexing the scope either way. The level on the Hawkins is sort of under the web of my thumb. Most positional shooting is close enough that level by eye is good enough. I much prefer the level in the back of the spuhr or in the chassis body itself (XLR or MPA)….but I don’t have a send it….

I'm no longer a hand-on-the-scope guy (I transitioned to and prefer the hand-on-bag along the side of the stock/chassis now), but when I was shooting like that, the MPA mount and diving board worked/works great.

That said, a buddy I shoot with has been running the Gray Ops mount and their diving board recently and that will be my next setup. It's beefy, almost looks like one could stand on it, and makes some of the others out there (including my MPA) look wimpy.

Reactions: Deltagunner00
Depending on the stage and prop I go bank and fourth with hand forward on bag and stock and hand on the scope diving board. I run the Hawkins rings with the diving board on both my match guns. The level makes a great place to wrap your thumb around while the rest of your hand is over the board.

Reactions: Deltagunner00
Depending on the stage and prop I go bank and fourth with hand forward on bag and stock and hand on the scope diving board. I run the Hawkins rings with the diving board on both my match guns. The level makes a great place to wrap your thumb around while the rest of your hand is over the board.
Any chance you have compared the Hawkins Rings to the Vortex Diving Board? Just trying to decide which route to go. Thanks

Have you tried/compared the Hawkins against the Vortex Diving Board? Trying to figure which route to go since I already have the Vortex rings that go with the Vortex diving board.

I went with the Hawkins. The diving board / pic rail hits and sets on the bell of my scope. Vortext Razor Gen II. Anyone else ran into this?

I went with the Hawkins. The diving board / pic rail hits and sets on the bell of my scope. Vortext Razor Gen II. Anyone else ran into this?

You'll probably have to push the optic forward in the mount, then move the entire mount back one pic rail space to get the same eye relief you are looking for.

You'll probably have to push the optic forward in the mount, then move the entire mount back one pic rail space to get the same eye relief you are looking for.

I was thinking the same thing…
I did this. Just kinda weird about liking my rings centered up. Didn’t know if anyone had tried to shim the pic rail up a little. I’ll just run it the way it is with optic forward

Reactions: nrspence