• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS tactical division bullet choice

DynamicAccuracy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
Mexico, MO
Been running 223 for a couple years in Tac division. The whole I've ran 77tmk. The rifle shoots awesome but it's so hard for spotters to see hits on a plate past 700 and really hard for me to spot misses because they just don't kick up much dirt so I'm switching to 308. I know years ago 175 smk was basically THE bullet to run but not sure if that's still the case. I know hornady makes a 176 Atip but not sure I want to spend that much on bullets 😅 curious if there's any others that will perform well. The BC on the Barnes match burners looks good but I haven't heard much about them and the little I haven't wasn't great reviews.

The 75gr solid from PVA is the current gamer bullet in .223.

You could also run the Warner tool or similar solids. Turns a .308 into a 6.5cm. Frank did a video on them years ago.

At the end of the day, trying to game tac division is like trying to game production. People just laugh at you for trying to win participation trophies. There are maybe 2 or 3 legit tac shooters in the entire country. Guys who could could actually win a match in open. The rest hope those guys don't show up so they can get trophies.

The 75gr solid from PVA is the current gamer bullet in .223.

You could also run the Warner tool or similar solids. Turns a .308 into a 6.5cm. Frank did a video on them years ago.

At the end of the day, trying to game tac division is like trying to game production. People just laugh at you for trying to win participation trophies. There are maybe 2 or 3 legit tac shooters in the entire country. Guys who could could actually win a match in open. The rest hope those guys don't show up so they can get trophies.
I would agree. I only shoot tac because I got burnt out a couple years ago. Shot so many matches it just got old. So figured I'd switch it up and run tac division just for the hell of it. I don't really want a trophy unless there's a few other tac shooters there.

178 is max weight for prs .308 tac, so if you're handloading,
sierra 169 smk
sierra 168 and 175 tmk
hornady 178 bthp
hornady 168 eldm
175 smk, bergers, etc...
also, there's a max fps limit.
175 FGMM is the ea$y button for sure

• Wow
Reactions: DJL2
Do you guys even read the OP posts?
If Atips are too expensive, why would he buy solids?
@DeathBeforeDismount you can laugh at the recommendations for eldms and 175s but they fit his criteria. Nonetheless, several shooters crack the top 10 shooting those projectiles (regional matches) So maybe they’re good enough for his application?

I would agree. I only shoot tac because I got burnt out a couple years ago. Shot so many matches it just got old. So figured I'd switch it up and run tac division just for the hell of it. I don't really want a trophy unless there's a few other tac shooters there.
I'm right there with you... I ran 223 in open because I was burnt out, components are cheap, and the rifle shot well. I ended doing pretty well overall so if I can get 75gr ELDs to shoot well I'll probably shoot Tac class too.

Reactions: long range sponge
I'm right there with you... I ran 223 in open because I was burnt out, components are cheap, and the rifle shot well. I ended doing pretty well overall so if I can get 75gr ELDs to shoot well I'll probably shoot Tac class too.
That's the other reason I've been running 223. It's cheap. Plus with my dillon I can load a seasons worth of ammo in a couple evenings and it shoots as good as ammo I load on an arbor press with an fx120i autotrickler setup

Reactions: farmer brown
I run the 168 ELD-M in my .308 for Tac. Good BC and can get them going just under speed limit in my 26” barrel. Have shot them to 1250 yards in matches and they do great.

Check out Berger 185 Juggernauts.

Edit: well shoot, these don't fit the rules...
The Berger 185 Hybrid Target is right there too. BC is .295 but not cheap. Less than Atips I think. I shoot them in my club F/TR class matches. 2620 with 43.5 gr. of Varget or 2650 with 43.3.gr of H4895. Out of a 24” barrel. The Varget load gives me 100 yard groups in the .3’s. I’m currently using the Varget as my match load but plan on tweaking the H4895 load to get it to the .3 or better level and maybe make it my match load.

I’m a newer competitor but I’ve been running the Sierra 169 at 2675 for the last year and before was running the 175 at 2650. It’s just a little better than the 175. I use a G7 of .248 with it.

I’m a newer competitor but I’ve been running the Sierra 169 at 2675 for the last year and before was running the 175 at 2650. It’s just a little better than the 175. I use a G7 of .248 with it.
Using .248 with 169’s or 175’s? That’s a bit lower than I had 169 if it’s those. From 1/11T they were .263 for me with 168 Hybrid being .260.

He shot well this weekend. You could hear him talking shit from 3 squads away. Cracking everyone up. He also gave homey a set a binos he pulled from table who needed them. Matt is a Stand up dude!

Stiner has helped me several times when we've both been at the range on random days. He's one of the best.

When I had my .308, I absolutely loved the Berger 175 OTMs. They have a noticeably shorter bearing surface than most other offerings, so they move on down the barrel before chamber pressure gets too much. The node with the Bergers in my 26" barrel was at 2720fps with much better brass life than my old 178 Amax load that ran 2670fps.

Reactions: swampbuck
I’ve been liking the 168TMK or the 169SMK, they both share the same BC and I’ll bounce back and forth depending on price/availability.

I’m about to try out the “American bullet company” stuff from creedmoor sports, which I’m 98% is just overrun stuff from Sierra since it’s the same weight and advertised BC as the 169SMK