• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS Tactical division

FredM

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
Akron, N.Y
At my local PRS club matches the max distance is 600 yards with minimal crosswinds . I would like to shoot the Tactical Division with a .223. What are your opinions pro and con on my caliber choice . It’s either .223 or .308 allowed.

Shoot it. Shoot the heck out of it.

Do you have a .223 load that is accurate out to 600? If so, shoot it.

We have a small local range like that, 600 yards and very sheltered. I'd take 223 there any day of the week over 308. Many matches have been won with a 223 at that venue (though I have won there with 308). Use a half decent bullet like a 75 ELD-M and you should be G2G.

I shot 223 at a match recently where most of the targets were close range and it did just fine. One issue you will have that a gentlemen in the video above addresses by yelling “How can you tell” is that it doesn’t make much of an impact at longer distances. Should be good at 600 but something to consider as you or the spotter might now see the impact.

Reactions: blacknwhite11
I shot 223 at a match recently where most of the targets were close range and it did just fine. One issue you will have that a gentlemen in the video above addresses by yelling “How can you tell” is that it doesn’t make much of an impact at longer distances. Should be good at 600 but something to consider as you or the spotter might now see the impact.

It does make it tougher.

The main problem with that guy though was his $100 spotting scope. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: reich10 and lash
It does make it tougher.

The main problem with that guy though was his $100 spotting scope. :ROFLMAO:
Hahaha yea that’s a problem. Nevertheless I love shooting 223. Especially when you are starting out. It’s cheaper to miss. It also helps you get comfortable holding off target cause you do it a lot with 223

Reactions: Birddog6424
Just run it. I shot 223 at a monthly match this year that went out to 800 yards. No problem. I was running only a 73 eldm from an AR-15 (with a 26 inch barrel). 600 and in should be money for a decently set up 223.

Piece of cake. I would rather run a 223 than a 308 in Tac division.

I shot mine this weekend at a local match. This is 3 shots at 750, 3 shots at 936, and 4 shots, at 1211. Went 7 for 10, and impacted the 1200 yarder with all 4 shots.

Ja... awsome shooting mate...is that a 30 inch heavy Palma you have on that 223?

Ja... awsome shooting mate...is that a 30 inch heavy Palma you have on that 223?

Thanks brother..

Damn near nailed it... 28" Heavy Palma. The MTU and Heavy Palma has pretty much panned out as my favorite contours. I like the HP for longer barrels. I'm running MTU on my 22" 22BR.

Reactions: HEDP
.223 is to .308, what 6BR is to 6.5 Creedmoor. You're not going to be handicapped, just watch that wind. I'd take a .223 to shoot Tac, if they ever come out with a .223 bolt for an AI AT/AX.

I'm stuck with 308 in Tac, unless I go and buy another rifle.

Reactions: Birddog6424
.223 is to .308, what 6BR is to 6.5 Creedmoor. You're not going to be handicapped, just watch that wind. I'd take a .223 to shoot Tac, if they ever come out with a .223 bolt for an AI AT/AX.

I'm stuck with 308 in Tac, unless I go and buy another rifle.

See @trophyhunter for an AI .223 conversion with bolt and barrel.

Didn’t do so bad. 29th out of 57 shooters last weekend. Not bad for a 20” 308.

Hell yeh!

I started PRS with an 18" 308 SASS. My muzzle velocity was a whopping 2460fps... It goes without saying that the first year or so was a pretty tough row to hoe.

But you learn a lot, appreciate the placement you grind out, and can have fun doing it. ;)

Reactions: Dthomas3523