• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Trainer Load Development - .223 Rem, Origin, Bartlein, Razor Gen III, MPA Matrix Pro

stevieb92

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey all,
I thought I would share some load development results from my PRS Trainer rifle. It is based on a Zermatt Origin, wearing a 26 inch Bartlein heavy palma barrel chambered by Southern Precision Rifles in .223 Rem (Wylde chamber), topped with a Vortex Razor Gen III, and sitting in a MPA Matrix Pro chassis. I'm planning to shoot this rifle in TAC division PRS matches in the local area and use it for centerfire PRS training. Initially, I used a load of 24.0 gr of Varget with a Hornady 75 ELD-M and in Starline brass lit by a CCI 400 srp. During the initial shots, I did a very short shoot/clean cycle and then began shooting it with this load. It provided decent results and I noticed the muzzle velocity climbing. During the last 30 shots or so, it has stabilized so I figured it was time for load development. That put me right at 200 rounds down the barrel.

Anyway, on to the meat of the story. My goal was roughly a half minute and single digit SDs. Shouldn't be that hard, right? I loaded a test using charge weights varying from 23.4 up to 25.2 in 0.2 gr increments. Then I shot them round robin style. I waited about 2 minutes between shots and at least 5 minutes in between shot strings. The results are below. I'd say that I am happy and will pick the 24.2 charge and load some of those up and do some shooting to confirm it's a good load. My reasons for picking the 24.2 was two parts. The charges were dispensed using an ATV4 on an A&D fx-120i. First, obviously the group size is small enough for my purposes and second, the point of impact between the charge directly below and above it appear to have the same elevation on the target. Lastly, the SD for the 24.2 was 10, so it was close enough to single digits and with some work I could possibly get it smaller. On to the data and pics...

Charge / Avg Vel / ES / SD / MOA
23.4 / 2738 / 25 / 11 / .56
23.6 / 2748 / 23 / 9 / .95
23.8 / 2795 / 65 / 25 / .34
24.0 / 2841 / 54 / 22 / .70
24.2 / 2853 / 24 / 10 / .36
24.4 / 2892 / 43 / 19 / .82
24.6 / 2904 / 43 / 16 / .83
24.8 / 2928 / 50 / 18 / .56
25.0 / 2944 / 39 / 15 / .90
25.2 / 2958 / 25 / 11 / .48

The primers looked a little flat on the corners in the 25.2 charge, but the bolt lift was the same as each other charge weight. It looked like there might be a good spot there around 25.2, but I have no reason to hot rod this, so I'll stick with 24.2 and call it done. Thanks for reading.

PRS Trainer Rifle 223 02.jpg

PRS_Trainer_Rifle_223_Load_Dev_Targets_A.jpg

PRS_Trainer_Rifle_223_Load_Dev_Targets_B.jpg

That build is what I am looking at next. Selling a current rifle that I don't use and picking up an Origin (probably, still also considering the ARC CDG) and Bartlein barrel, in .223.

Tell me how you like the action. The CDG really interests me, but there seems to be more Pre-fit barrels at better prices for the Origin.

Reactions: stevieb92
Good choice! I love the Origin action. I’ve got 3 so far and planning a couple more builds with them but I need to sell two 700s first. Never had one single issue with any of my Origins. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the CDG, but have no direct experience with that action. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.

Hey all,
I thought I would share some load development results from my PRS Trainer rifle. It is based on a Zermatt Origin, wearing a 26 inch Bartlein heavy palma barrel chambered by Southern Precision Rifles in .223 Rem (Wylde chamber), topped with a Vortex Razor Gen III, and sitting in a MPA Matrix Pro chassis. I'm planning to shoot this rifle in TAC division PRS matches in the local area and use it for centerfire PRS training. Initially, I used a load of 24.0 gr of Varget with a Hornady 75 ELD-M and in Starline brass lit by a CCI 400 srp. During the initial shots, I did a very short shoot/clean cycle and then began shooting it with this load. It provided decent results and I noticed the muzzle velocity climbing. During the last 30 shots or so, it has stabilized so I figured it was time for load development. That put me right at 200 rounds down the barrel.

Anyway, on to the meat of the story. My goal was roughly a half minute and single digit SDs. Shouldn't be that hard, right? I loaded a test using charge weights varying from 23.4 up to 25.2 in 0.2 gr increments. Then I shot them round robin style. I waited about 2 minutes between shots and at least 5 minutes in between shot strings. The results are below. I'd say that I am happy and will pick the 24.2 charge and load some of those up and do some shooting to confirm it's a good load. My reasons for picking the 24.2 was two parts. The charges were dispensed using an ATV4 on an A&D fx-120i. First, obviously the group size is small enough for my purposes and second, the point of impact between the charge directly below and above it appear to have the same elevation on the target. Lastly, the SD for the 24.2 was 10, so it was close enough to single digits and with some work I could possibly get it smaller. On to the data and pics...

Charge / Avg Vel / ES / SD / MOA
23.4 / 2738 / 25 / 11 / .56
23.6 / 2748 / 23 / 9 / .95
23.8 / 2795 / 65 / 25 / .34
24.0 / 2841 / 54 / 22 / .70
24.2 / 2853 / 24 / 10 / .36
24.4 / 2892 / 43 / 19 / .82
24.6 / 2904 / 43 / 16 / .83
24.8 / 2928 / 50 / 18 / .56
25.0 / 2944 / 39 / 15 / .90
25.2 / 2958 / 25 / 11 / .48

The primers looked a little flat on the corners in the 25.2 charge, but the bolt lift was the same as each other charge weight. It looked like there might be a good spot there around 25.2, but I have no reason to hot rod this, so I'll stick with 24.2 and call it done. Thanks for reading.
Unless you are sitting on a buttload of the Hornady's, get you one box of Sierra 77gr TMKs (#7177 for 100rd box and #7177C for 500rd box) and try your Varget loads one more time. We have found the Sierra to be more forgiving and more consistent across a lot of guns. They shoot tiny in a couple of 223 Wylde chambered loaners I have .

Unless you are sitting on a buttload of the Hornady's, get you one box of Sierra 77gr TMKs (#7177 for 100rd box and #7177C for 500rd box) and try your Varget loads one more time. We have found the Sierra to be more forgiving and more consistent across a lot of guns. They shoot tiny in a couple of 223 Wylde chambered loaners I have .

Well, I don’t know what you consider a buttload, but I started with 2k of the Hornady 75 eldm bullets so it will be a while until I go through them. I will definitely pick up some of those 77 tmks to try. I shoot plenty of Sierra match kings through other rifles so it would be a natural fit for this one. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Terry Cross
Nice rifle. Looks like 23.8 and 24 are the winning charges. Always nice to find the accuracy on a round number.

If you want a nice short range option for the .223 try the 52gr SMK. Honestly my favorite bullet. They embarrassed the 75gr eldms in my rifle.

Well, I don’t know what you consider a buttload, but I started with 2k of the Hornady 75 eldm bullets so it will be a while until I go through them. I will definitely pick up some of those 77 tmks to try. I shoot plenty of Sierra match kings through other rifles so it would be a natural fit for this one. Thanks for the tip!

If you wanted to try another powder I found XBR8208 did just as well as Varget for me. I wanted to keep my Varget for my .308 so tried it. I also have some N135 to try as a buddy uses it in his rifle with 75 ELDs and it does great for him.

I load the 75 ELDs in a Wylde chamber to and load them at .020" off at 2.470" which fit fine in my MDT mags.

If you wanted to try another powder I found XBR8208 did just as well as Varget for me. I wanted to keep my Varget for my .308 so tried it. I also have some N135 to try as a buddy uses it in his rifle with 75 ELDs and it does great for him.

I load the 75 ELDs in a Wylde chamber to and load them at .020" off at 2.470" which fit fine in my MDT mags.
Also worth trying Tac. It meters a lot better than varget and in my area at least is much cheaper than varget. Accuracy is on par with varget per my testing so far. Similar charge weights to boot.

I have some XBR8208, but not near as much as Varget. I haven't seen XBR8208 on a shelf for a few years, so I'll stick with Varget for this rifle since I would exhaust that supply of XBR8208 pretty quickly and can't replace it. Varget seems to be in good supply right now too. This is also a Wylde chamber and I'm about the same distance off the lands.

Reactions: Rob01
H4895 works really well with 75eldm .020off in my 223 wylde. Tac and 77smk makes a nice load that goes good on a Dillon. Both loads run 2995-3010 in a 24" proof steel.

Gonna be building a 223 trainer very similar to yours. I’m gonna go Ackley, but otherwise very similar. Thanks for the info

Gonna be building a 223 trainer very similar to yours. I’m gonna go Ackley, but otherwise very similar. Thanks for the info

I was considering that, but when I learned the Ackley wasn't allowed in Tac division, I just went .223 Rem. Are you considering using it in matches too or just training?

I have some XBR8208, but not near as much as Varget. I haven't seen XBR8208 on a shelf for a few years, so I'll stick with Varget for this rifle since I would exhaust that supply of XBR8208 pretty quickly and can't replace it. Varget seems to be in good supply right now too. This is also a Wylde chamber and I'm about the same distance off the lands.

True about XBR. You could try some N135 also if you come across it.

A couple weekends ago I shot my first PRS match with this rifle and it was definitely a learning experience. Especially when compared to my PRS rifle in 6CM. The wind was pushing that 75 ELD-M around more than the 107 SMK that I shoot in my normal PRS rifle. Overall, I was happy with how it performed. I think my hit ratio was 72% of the shots I took, which is higher than normal for me. Yes, I suck at PRS, but it's so much fun! Enjoy the short vid below of one of the stages...

Reactions: Terry Cross
Reactions: Fret
Very nice! You have all the standard colors except maybe black and tungsten? Be sure to post a pic of the custom job when you get it. The bronze looks great. Thinking of getting an ESR in bronze for my next build as if I need another rifle. LOL. Thanks for posting the nice photo.

Very nice! You have all the standard colors except maybe black and tungsten? Be sure to post a pic of the custom job when you get it. The bronze looks great. Thinking of getting an ESR in bronze for my next build as if I need another rifle. LOL. Thanks for posting the nice photo.

Thanks! Yes, black, tungsten and green are missing. I had a BA Comp in Tungsten and sold it to fund one of these. Will do!

Reactions: Fret