• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses prs training

Big joe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
I'm wanting to get into prs, looking for some advise on training. I live in NW Ohio I know that Thunder Valley isn't to far from me. When I lived in Kentucky there was guy named Don Fraley that owns Advanced Weapon Technology that gave classes too. Looking for some input on this.

I would say I'm established but not sure what you consider established

Already have a rifle setup, know how to work dope etc. Already shot a few competitions things like that

I have a rifle need to add a box magazine to it before i start ., i know how to work dope, never shot and competitions,

The ones I would recommend are David Preston owner of Gray Ops CNC. Dave is one of the OG competitors and one of the winningest PRS competitor of all time. I've competed with him for over 10yrs... If you're up for a drive JTAC Precision Rifle Training is a great training crew. That consists of Justin Watts, Tate Streater, Austin Orgain "this years winner of the AG Cup, and Clay Blackketter.

Reactions: todd and kcrippen

Instructors are David Preston and Ken Sanoski. Ken is on here....send him an message and see if they plan on doing classes in 2021. I took the intro to long range shooting in 2020. Both guys are excellent instructors.

Reactions: kcrippen
I'm wanting to get into prs, looking for some advise on training. I live in NW Ohio I know that Thunder Valley isn't to far from me. When I lived in Kentucky there was guy named Don Fraley that owns Advanced Weapon Technology that gave classes too. Looking for some input on this.
Or something more obvious, closer, and posted just a few posts before yours:

Good luck

Reactions: BurtG and kcrippen
I can't recommend the guys with Modern Day Sniper enough. Caylen and Phil will get you a solid foundation built. I'm pretty sure they
will be coming back to Pigg River Precision in Rocky Mount, VA at least once next year, possibly multiple times.

I can't recommend the guys with Modern Day Sniper enough. Caylen and Phil will get you a solid foundation built. I'm pretty sure they
will be coming back to Pigg River Precision in Rocky Mount, VA at least once next year, possibly multiple times.
Man I hope so!! I was out of town and couldn't participate so I hope they can set something up next year!!

Reactions: kindabitey
go shoot the matches near you (they are plentiful)

there are a boatload of top notch competitors in your area. baker, stiner, sanowski, preston, thomas, zane

dont worry about the clock. but get advice from everyone.

this will hold you over until you can find the right class to fit your needs

Man I hope so!! I was out of town and couldn't participate so I hope they can set something up next year!!
On a side note, Pigg River will be hosting some Friday train up matches this year. This would give you an opportunity to get some guidance
from some of the better shooters (not me) in the area and make some contacts that should be closer to your home area.
JMHO, but I'd recommend getting a solid foundation of the fundamentals built first before trying to learn the tricks of the game.

go shoot the matches near you (they are plentiful)

there are a boatload of top notch competitors in your area. baker, stiner, sanowski, preston, thomas, zane

dont worry about the clock. but get advice from everyone.

this will hold you over until you can find the right class to fit your needs
Everyone of those shooters will go out of their way to help new shooters.

Reactions: RichMangus
I would suggest taking an established Precision Rifle level 1 course. Definitely getting your rifle, scope, ammo and dope squared away. I don't mean to suggest you have to run out and buy the latest greatest....run what you have. But a solid level 1 course should verify for you that you know what you need to do to hit at x distance.

And, seriously, go shoot local matches. People are so generous and want to help new shooters.

Best of luck.

I would suggest taking an established Precision Rifle level 1 course. Definitely getting your rifle, scope, ammo and dope squared away. I don't mean to suggest you have to run out and buy the latest greatest....run what you have. But a solid level 1 course should verify for you that you know what you need to do to hit at x distance.

And, seriously, go shoot local matches. People are so generous and want to help new shooters.

Best of luck.
Agreed, I’m headed to Altus in March. I’ve taken several rifle classes, but never a Precision Rifle dedicated class.

Reactions: jackinfl

No one really seemed to answer the OP's question but instead recommended a variety courses. He asked about Don Fraley. Don Fraley in Russell, KY is where one will go through as much classroom work as you will shooting on the range. You will not be taught how to enter numbers into an electronic ballistic calculator. Instead, you will learn how to determine you shot by creating the data yourself. If you just want to hit a target at longer ranges go ahead and spend lots of money. If you want to retain the knowledge of how you got there then Don Fraley's class is a great path to success. Fraley is not only a world class shooter (still today), he was the winner of the famous Carlos Hathcock's top gun award at the sniper school for the military. He also served as the lead sniper with the Kentucky State Police. He was a frequent visitor to Camp Perry matches and can shoot the socks both a 1911 and an extremely long range rifle. If your goal is to just hit a target at longer ranges go ahead and spend lots of money. If you want to retain the knowledge of how you got there then Don Fraley's class is a great path to success. His firm is called Advanced Weapons Technology. Look up AWTLLC.net.