• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS with internal mag

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Just a quick question. Has anyone tried to run an internal mag for a prs style match?

If so, how did you manage your ammo/reloading?

Do you "load and make ready" before the timer, like in idpa, or do you have to load after the timer starts?

I am packing for sheepdog tomorrow and I am running my stock rem 700P. I am there to enjoy myself and learn so I'm not concerned about being competitive, but I know some ammo loading/management advice might help improve my day.

Let the MD know you're running internal box when you sign in, they'll find a way, and you'll have fun whether you're preloaded or not!

Reactions: JBoomhauer
You will be shooting with a bunch of good guys, they will accommodate you. Request to get coaching and don’t shoot for points, someone will likely stand next to you and hand you additional rounds after your first 4 are done.

I started with one external 4 round mag and hand loaded the rest and was fairly competitive doing that.

It went good! I had a lot of fun and took notes in what areas (and there were big ones) that need improvement. I came in higher than I thought I would. Not great, but certainly not last! :)

Last second I switched from the internal mag 700P to a mag fed 6br because I wasn't shooting the 308 well the night before. But after this match I would totally take the 308 to one.

Last edited:
My first match I shot a Rem 700 30-06 ADL, I didn’t know what prs was but I had a decent scope and wanted practice for hunting situations... learned a lot

I wish there were more events that I could make this year. Sheepdog's next event conflicts with IDPA and my wife is anxious to get out and shoot. =)

At this past event I only had 5 round mags for my 6br, after the 5 ran out I found it easier to reload from singles off the stock pack rather than swap mags. If I run the 308 next year I feel confident that I will feed off of the stock pack. I lost more time from lack of recoil management and target acquisition than I lost to reloading.