• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS with lighter weight 308's?

The Durk

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Okay guys, let me preface this by saying, I'm asking this question to have fun with an old workhorse 308 I have sitting in the safe, collecting dust. It's not about winning matches for me.

Do you guys have any success shooting lighter (155 gr) 308's in PRS matches? I know the hallmark has been 175 gr in tac division, but I was curious if some use lighter weight bullets going a significantly faster speeds? I'm aware 155's are popular in Palma matches due to the rules of Palma matches.

I'm using a 20" 1/12 barrel if that helps.

I'm also aware that these bullets might go faster than the tac division speed limitations, and I'd have to shoot in Open division.

Thanks in advance. I'm just curious what other people do. It still blows my mind when guys hit so well with .223 at 1000 yards.

You can get a higher BC bullet than the 155s and get that higher BC bullet going plenty fast for Tac. 155s don't offer much in Tac especially in a 20" .308. Look at 168s up to 178s.

Reactions: The Durk
You can push those 155s into the 2900s.... probably mid 2800s with your barrel.

The BC of the 155 family isn’t great so pray for light winds that day.

I would opt for 168 ELD or 168 TMK for blend of speed and efficiency.

You can push those 155s into the 2900s.... probably mid 2800s with your barrel.

The BC of the 155 family isn’t great so pray for light winds that day.

I would opt for 168 ELD or 168 TMK for blend of speed and efficiency.

The rules for Tac class limit you to 2800fps, so the 155s are pretty handicapped when it comes to windage.

I think I'm going to see how the 168Hybrid runs compared to the 168 ELDs and TMKs. Bergers have been working for me for many yrs now in F class.

Okay guys, let me preface this by saying, I'm asking this question to have fun with an old workhorse 308 I have sitting in the safe, collecting dust. It's not about winning matches for me.

Do you guys have any success shooting lighter (155 gr) 308's in PRS matches? I know the hallmark has been 175 gr in tac division, but I was curious if some use lighter weight bullets going a significantly faster speeds? I'm aware 155's are popular in Palma matches due to the rules of Palma matches.

I'm also aware that these bullets might go faster than the tac division speed limitations, and I'd have to shoot in Open division.

Thanks in advance. I'm just curious what other people do. It still blows my mind when guys hit so well with .223 at 1000 yards.

IMO, pick up whatever ammo you have loaded for the thing and go shoot it. Any bullet weight you've got will knock the dust off that ol' beezy.
That said, if you're not in a particularly windy area, the 155 ELD is a great bullet. I used to shoot them in my 20" .308 at ~2900fps for practice. You'll have more recoil than the cool kids, but it's not that bad and any misses inside of ~750y will be totally on you no matter the wind. It's pretty similar trajectory/wind performance to a .223 shooting the 75 ELD, but spotters shouldn't have any issues seeing impacts.

IMO, pick up whatever ammo you have loaded for the thing and go shoot it. Any bullet weight you've got will knock the dust off that ol' beezy.
That said, if you're not in a particularly windy area, the 155 ELD is a great bullet. I used to shoot them in my 20" .308 at ~2900fps for practice. You'll have more recoil than the cool kids, but it's not that bad and any misses inside of ~750y will be totally on you no matter the wind. It's pretty similar trajectory/wind performance to a .223 shooting the 75 ELD, but spotters shouldn't have any issues seeing impacts.

Again, you have a velocity cap at 2800fps so 155 at 2900 is not going to happen.

And not about being cool but picking best tool for the job and the 155 is not it.

Dude. Who cares? It's shooting guns. It's awesome.

ETA: For those who might not know, the velocity cap is for Tac class only. Going over the 2800fps doesn't mean you can't shoot, it just means you're in Open class. Just like the OP mentioned in his post.

If he doesn't care and wants to just shoot then he can run them but just making life hard on himself. If he just uses a good bullet that will keep him below 2800 he can shoot Tac and have fun and be better ballistically for wind. A win win win. But up to him.

If you are not interested in shooting tac and just want to use the .308 bbl I would go the opposite direction and try the 185gr Juggernauts. I don’t think with a short barrel you are going to get enough speed for the 155grs to help.

If you are not interested in shooting tac and just want to use the .308 bbl I would go the opposite direction and try the 185gr Juggernauts. I don’t think with a short barrel you are going to get enough speed for the 155grs to help.
And you can get decent velocities with 185s and the 20.5 barrel. As you push those 185s to the limit, you will notice that recoil impulse remind its there.

Last edited:
308 155gr are sweet for low recoil, and short distances. They have so bad BC, even with good fps you'll have a hard time on long distance or with heavy Wind.
It's "doable" to have fun, but don't expect a lot. At least, you'll have to play in open, pushing them at 2900fps to be abble to hit some of the target. But you'll save a lot of trouble by going 168gr+, shooting tac.

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
I started with a 20" .308 because it's what I had. I had the best luck with 175 SMK.

Thanks for all the help guys! I shoot 6.5 CM but I kind of want to screw around on a match or two.

I won the TAC class last year shooting Berger 168's at 2790. Just flat shot great.

I also placed in the top 5 in Jakes PRS match shooting 155's going 2750. I knew would be more positional bs so the less recoil was noticed and appreciated. That 155 also happens to shoot better in my rifle than any rifle I own. Would have used at the finale but forcast was very windy...and it was! ha.

Saying not to use a bullet because another is better is lame. Use what ya got. The goal should be just to go out, get some experience, and have fun. If you have a pile of 155's, shoot em. If you got a pile of 175's shoot em.

Next year I may chase tac again. I will prob go with A-tips or stick with Berger 168's. When competing for the crown, everything does indeed matter.

GL! I love tac class. wish more did it.
DT

Since all about getting out there and getting to shoot an old 308, I think you should do it. I think you should give it a go with the 155s if that's how you want to play.

On post 39 of the below thread shows montanamarine got low 2600s with a 208 out of a 20.5" barrel using RL17

If there is no MV limit in open class and you want to drive the 155s significantly faster to have an advantage over those shooting 175s or 178s, I think it's possible. If 2600FPS was possible with a 208, imagine how fast you'll be able to push the 155s. Of course, safely load your way up. Like you said, in the end it's about having fun whether you take home 1st place or not. Give it a go...

Saying not to use a bullet because another is better is lame. Use what ya got. The goal should be just to go out, get some experience, and have fun. If you have a pile of 155's, shoot em. If you got a pile of 175's shoot em.

He never said he had 155s. He was asking about them. When asking I am going to tell him what would be his best option. It's not lame to give a good recommendation. If he has 5000 155s then go shoot them but he never said he did.