• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRST - mod (now with pics)

ed99

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
I've been running my PRST (carbon fiber tripod) for over a year. I started out with a Sirui K-30x Ball Head (66 lb load capacity) and a Hog Saddle. It had a bit to much flex for my liking as the ball head raised the Hog Saddle from the tripod legs. I dumped the ball head and direct mounted the Hog Saddle to the short centre column. It was better, but still induced some movement even with the centre column locked down hard. The other down side was that range of movement was limited as there wasn't a ball head..

I ordered a leveling head, Leofoto LB-66, fluid damped and a range of +/- 17 degrees. I then removed the centre column and hacksawed off the locking mechanism that stuck up from the plate where the legs attached. I used a large washer and a 3/8" bolt to mount the leveling base to tripod. Very stable, only movement is from the Hog Saddle's gel pads that allow minor movement .

I also picked up an Arca Swiss clamp and I have mounted it to the leveling head (not in my attached photos). I can run my Hog Saddle with a Acra Swiss plate or direct mount to a rifle in the MDT Chassis with the Acra Swiss rail. The direct mount reduces the arc of movement by over a half.

I still find the Hog Saddle handy for my hunting rifles, etc.. Also quite useful for hold a spotting scope. I don't find the leveling head's reduced range of movement over a ball head to be an issue, you can simply cant the tripod forward by lowering a leg. Pans very well without moving up or down when it is partially tightened.

For a dedicated hunting set up it is great !! For PRS style shooting, it works out not too bad in my limited experience and use with it, although I'm tempted by a Leofoto 404c that would give me more height.
cleardot.gif

Ed

Reactions: Chasing3
Nice job! I just picked one of these tripods up from another member and looking forward to trying it out. My main concern was the center being too high but I may try what you did if I feel it's needed. I'll be running a leveling base as well. Thanks for posting.