• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSA - Induction annealer caught on fire.

nickw

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Western MA
Just a quick advisory to not leave your induction annealer unattended. This was an EZ-Anneal unit (no longer in business) that had an auto brass feeder. I smelled plastic burning and turned to see the unit on fire. From best I can tell the glass tube that the induction coil wraps around, broke at some point. 2 pieces of brass got jammed in the tube, not releasing and superheating the brass until the plastic caught fire. $1000 up in smoke. Could have been worse if I hadn’t been standing there.
ED166AC9-0C76-4984-9467-08C6AFF5ED9C.jpgDC12DCCC-72EB-49FD-A0EE-11B26338B462.jpeg

Wow ... that's some scary shit. Makes me appreciate my AMP, that requires me to insert and remove each case. I'll never complain about that ever again. Glad it only destroyed itself, and everything and everyone else is OK.

Reactions: CarlM and nickw
Wow ... that's some scary shit. Makes me appreciate my AMP, that requires me to insert and remove each case. I'll never complain about that ever again. Glad it only destroyed itself, and everything and everyone else is OK.

It was. Will be buying an AMP shortly. 😉

Just a quick advisory to not leave your induction annealer unattended. This was an EZ-Anneal unit (no longer in business) that had an auto brass feeder. I smelled plastic burning and turned to see the unit on fire. From best I can tell the glass tube that the induction coil wraps around, broke at some point. 2 pieces of brass got jammed in the tube, not releasing and superheating the brass until the plastic caught fire. $1000 up in smoke. Could have been worse if I hadn’t been standing there.
View attachment 7605689View attachment 7605690

Did the actual induction part (the electronics) get damaged, do you think, or just the structure and/or bowl? As a guy who likes to tinker I might be interested in the parts if there's anything salvageable. Let me know what you think it's worth if you're interested. It might be trash as an annealer but the induction unit could be useful to me for other things.