• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSA: Mausingfield/Cadex compatibility

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
All- a brief PSA, re: compatibility between the Mausingfield action and Cadex chassis; I am posting this because when I began this project, there didn't seem to be much information regarding compatibility for this combination.

So, first things first... the Mausingfield has a proprietary interface between the action and the scope rail, so out of the currently available (May, 2018) Cadex chassis options, expect only the Lite Competition, the Field Competition, the OT Core, and the Strike Nuke chassis/stocks to work. The chassis options that offer a top rail that bridges between the action and the chassis barrel tube will not work because the rail will not properly mate to the action.

Second, the extended rail that comes with the Mausingfield action wants to occupy the same space as the barrel tube on the chassis (in my case, the Cadex Lite Competition):

Mausingfield-Cadex rail interference pic 2.jpg

You'll either need to shorten the rail or notch the barrel tube. I chose to shorten the rail.

Third, I found that ARC "high" (32mm/1.26") rings will allow an optic with a 56mm objective to clear the barrel tube (assuming a 20 MOA base on the Mausingfield). It doesn't clear by much, but it's enough:

Cadex 2.jpg

Fourth, the Cadex chassis offer a bolt handle cutout that accommodates a back-swept bolt handle, which the Mausingfield presently (again, May, 2018) does not offer. Fortunately, the cutout is large enough that the straight bolt handle clears everything without a problem:

Cadex 1.jpg

Other than the findings mentioned above, there's nothing to report, which is to say that everything fits and bolts together as you'd hope/expect. The stock, when folded, clears/captures the bolt handle with plenty of clearance.

Now, with all of that out of the way, a few more thoughts:
  • As can be seen in the pictures above, there is not enough clearance to run an ARC Barloc without having to do some machine work on the barrel tube to access the Barloc crossbolt.
  • The pistol grip interface is further back from the trigger than it would be on an AR-pattern rifle; as such, expect the "length of pull" from the back of the pistol grip to the trigger face to be longer than you may be expecting.
  • Speaking of the pistol grip, I am personally not a fan of the grip that comes with the chassis from Cadex. It is a well-made and comfortable piece from Ergo, but it forces your (well, my ) hand too far up the grip to where my "thumb knuckle" is jammed into the chassis/stock right about where it folds.
  • The Cadex "roller bedding"... I have to admit that I don't see what the big deal is. It is comprised of four short pieces of steel round stock epoxied into small cavities milled into the chassis... so there's really no "roller" to it, IMO. Nonetheless, it is a functional approach to the problem of chassis-to-action interfacing, even if it (IMO) buys you nothing over a more traditional V-block.
  • The inner diameter of the barrel tube is sufficient to clear the "flange"/taper mounting surface of a TBAC 338 BA/Ultra muzzle brake/mount

Finally, I'd like to thank John / @longshot2000 for a great price and customer service on the Cadex chassis and accessories, the fine folks at Long Rifles, Inc. for the great price and top-notch work on the barreled action/rail machine work, and the team at CS Tactical for a great deal on the Minox optic on this rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffd
Did you have any clearance issues with the side bolt release? I had to break out Mr Dremel to get my Surgeon actions to fit.

Did you have any clearance issues with the side bolt release? I had to break out Mr Dremel to get my Surgeon actions to fit.
No, there is plenty of room there; there's perhaps 1/8" or so clearance between the bottom of the bolt release and the top of the chassis.

I just recieved my barreled action from LRI today. Long action mausingfield, they cut off the picatinny rail even with the recoil lug, and cerekoted, to clear the tube on the cadex field competition chassis. 30 inch bartlien heavy varmint barrel, bix'n andy tacsport pro 2 stage, 338 lapua cip magazine, everthing fits chassis perfectly.

Why didn't you just buy a shorter rail? My Mausingfield rail is action length. Are they out of stock?
Bang

I wonder if you took a Dual Strike and simply took the front extension rail off the chassis if the M5 would fit?

You found the rear Cadex rail won't mate to the proprietary M5, but I thought the Dual Strike had a removable rail on the extension. If you took off that rail, it seems you'd have something akin to a Cadex model with no top rail. I'll have to drag out my dual strike and see if that might work.

Pro tip: this can all be avoided by pairing your Mausingfield with a JAE. Perfect match.

Mine is currently in a JAE, just though I'd try something different. Not the best picture and it's currently wearing a NF ATACR.

Attachments

• IMG_5096.JPG
    IMG_5096.JPG
    755.9 KB · Views: 55
Why didn't you just buy a shorter rail? My Mausingfield rail is action length. Are they out of stock?
Bang
Because a new rail is $150, while getting the included rail shortened and Cerakoted was $80. As for the JAE, it only took ~6 weeks to get my Cadex chassis, and on top of that, it folds. :)

That said, I absolutely covet the JAE, and would love to run one someday.

Bang
Is yours a long or short action. I think they only make one length for the longs. It was only 50 dollars to cut off and cerekote, and certainly faster than getting another one, if they make 2 sizes for longs.

A MF with the short rail will work fine!

Is yours a long or short action. I think they only make one length for the longs. It was only 50 dollars to cut off and cerekote, and certainly faster than getting another one, if they make 2 sizes for longs.
Short action