• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSA: New Recoil Activated Trigger For Labradar

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
I was not aware this existed until I came across it in a post by member @021411. He referenced a recoil-activated trigger for the LR that I was unaware existed. Through PMs, he informed me that another member, @wildmanpiet, is making these at home and making them available. I immediately thought this could be a great idea to address some issues that can be intrinsic to using the LR with a suppressor, or near other shooters.

One issue with the LR and suppressors is getting it to trigger. LR recommends putting the unit in front of the suppressor out of the line of fire, but then the unit is out of reach to operate the controls while behind the rifle. It also means using a tripod if you're on a bench, which means more gear and more chance to knock it over, etc. Another option (that I've been using) is the air gun trigger that LR sells. But, wind will cause false triggers, and I'm certain that nearby shooters would as well but I haven't experienced that because I'm always alone on my own range. Also, even without using the air gun trigger, I've heard reports of nearby shooters causing false triggers (and even readings) when using the unit's internal trigger even without the air gun mic. A recoil-activated trigger (heretofore referred to as RAT, no slur intended) would seem to solve these issues.

I contacted wildmanpiet and arranged payment through PayPal (50.00 total). He must have sent it immediately because it arrived all the way from across the country in 2 days I believe. I did a quick bench test to confirm it was working, and then took it to the range yesterday. The RAT sensor itself is about the size of a matchbox, slightly thinner, with about 2-1/2 ft, of cable attached and a 1/8" TRS phono plug to fit the LR's input jack. A few velcro dots were provided to attach it to the rifle wherever you want, but I just looped the cable over the top of the scope and tucked the unit back underneath the scope tube, sitting on the rail beneath the scope. I fired 10 rounds suppressed, and it triggered the LR every time, and I got reliable readings with each shot. He has a series of very short videos demoing the unit, and one of them explains that you can get a false trigger if you run the bolt hard. It's no big deal because if you just wait for a second for the Armed orange light to come back on you can proceed without even having to clear the Error message and the unit will still trigger and track the shot without adding the false trigger to your shot string. I found that with my placement, I could get false triggers even running the bolt normally, but it really doesn't affect anything. (If I was somewhat gentle with the bolt, it didn't false-trigger). He said you can avoid false-triggers by adjusting the placement of the RAT farther away from the action, and I'm sure that would work but I haven't tried it yet. The velcro he provides would allow you to put it up on the forend, or back on the butt stock away from the action, and also probably provides some vibration dampening as well without affecting the unit to sense true recoil. My placement was probably worst-case - right above the action directly on the metal.

I will be using/testing the RAT more in the coming weeks to see if any issues pop up, but after yesterday's run I took the air gun trigger out of my bag and intend to use the RAT exclusively. Having used the LR since right after they came out, I was surprised to find out that the RAT exists without me ever having heard of it. Again, my experience is very limited so far, but I thought that if I didn't know about it, there are probably a lot of others here who don't either, and might be interested. Before posting, I asked @wildmanpiet if it was okay to post an unsolicited review and he didn't object (I didn't know if he wanted to get into making a bunch of them if there is interest here). He did mention that he had an issue early on with some cable defects, but thinks he has gotten everyone taken care of who had a problem, and feels he has that issue resolved going forward. Right now, I'm very excited about how it functioned, and addressed the last of the minor issues I've experienced with the LR. It's such a quick and effortless setup, too. As I said, this is an unsolicited review, I just felt he deserved an Attaboy, and that other folks here might want to know about this option. Shoot him a PM if you want to try one.

Edit: @021411 did a similar write up in December, but I missed it at the time, so this is just another heads-up.

Link to videos:

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I don't have a suppressor, but on occasion someone shooting close to me will trigger my LR. Awesome that it will auto-reset the LR after a tracking error. It's pretty annoying to have to get out of my rhythm to press enter.

Reactions: Boatninja
Awesome. My local range is generally busy enough that other shooters trigger the unit frequently. Thanks for this.

The trigger definitely took care of the struggles I had with the LR. I’m surprised LR themselves didn’t come up with their own solution.

I“ve been running one of these for a year and it’s a game changer. Was about to give up on the LabRadar till I purchased. Now if LabRadar would just get the iPhone app to be a bit more reliable things would be perfect.

Just picked up a labradar, but I think I’m sending it back. I purchased it because it was a compact self contained unit, no wires etc....now I find it needs a wired rechargeable lithium battery pack, and a separate wired recoil activated trigger to function with a suppressor. Relatively minor, but both tell me an upgraded unit will be on the way incorporating both.

The other is the display and menu system blows. It’s quite antiquated. Pretty much operates like my grade school calculator.

I’ll wait till they work on fixing these things.

All I can say is that every time I read the title to this thread, I think that this must be an NFA controlled item...

Sorry for the diversion, carry on.

Just picked up a labradar, but I think I’m sending it back. I purchased it because it was a compact self contained unit, no wires etc....now I find it needs a wired rechargeable lithium battery pack, and a separate wired recoil activated trigger to function with a suppressor. Relatively minor, but both tell me an upgraded unit will be on the way incorporating both.

The other is the display and menu system blows. It’s quite antiquated. Pretty much operates like my grade school calculator.

I dont have any problems running a suppressor on my desert tech. Even with the 223 conversion with my sico omega. I just need to put the labradar about 6" ahead of the end of the can.

Reactions: spife7980

Don’t hold your breath.

Gents, pinging this thread back up as I shot suppressed for the first time lastnight while using my LabRadar (with air gun mic). I was shooting indoors, with others, and simply said it was shit show trying to get dope.

Quick temp check on this recoil based trigger, everyone still have a thumbs up?

Gents, pinging this thread back up as I shot suppressed for the first time lastnight while using my LabRadar (with air gun mic). I was shooting indoors, with others, and simply said it was shit show trying to get dope.

Quick temp check on this recoil based trigger, everyone still have a thumbs up?
I bought one recently......I’ll let you know what I think after I get it setup and range time. Looks like a great solution to me.

Reactions: chrome
I have one of the bow attachments that LR makes. Anyone tried it? I assume it would work the same way ?

I have run through way too many rounds trying to get my Lbrdr to work, mostly erroneous triggers, it has blown many ocw tests, like somebody else commented about getting out of the rhythm. Shooting targets well for me is kind of a zen thing, you get in that zone and then have to jack with it, I get disgusted with it and go to the magneto speed, then have to change it to another rifle, same thing...........

Pretty neat idea and cool that its something you can make at home with a 3d printer. How sensitive is the sensor? Can you move the gun or is it a bagged and ready to shoot and then you strap it on?

It’s pretty sensitive. Racking the bolt aggressively can trip it. I just use Velcro cable ties to hold it in the position I want. It works so good though. No more worried about other guys setting off your radar.

I ordered a Piet earlier today.

No link. It was mentioned in a post yesterday. I started digging around, because my LR is shit. Purchased the air adapter which helps quite a bit, but picks up other shooters on the range. So this recoil device sounds pretty neat and very useful.

I have the JKL Precision version ... it's been 100% reliable. Highly recommended.

I have the JKL Precision version ... it's been 100% reliable. Highly recommended.
Speak of the devil. Lol. It was your post I read in the Hornady AG range report thread, for the JKL trigger.

I have the JKL. It has worked flawless so far. Case and Picitinny adapter appear to be 3d printed out of nylon.

i got mine last year and used it today on my subsonic 300 BO.

If the unit proves to be too sensitive, instead of relocating to another location on the rifle, wouldn't lowering the sensitivity setting in the labradar work or am i missing something?

If the unit proves to be too sensitive, instead of relocating to another location on the rifle, wouldn't lowering the sensitivity setting in the labradar work or am i missing something?

I am by no means an engineer but my understanding is that the sensitivity setting in the unit itself is for microphones and does not work on accelerometers, but very good question, hopefully someone more versed can shed some light on this.

Reactions: straight-shooter
I am by no means an engineer but my understanding is that the sensitivity setting in the unit itself is for microphones and does not work on accelerometers, but very good question, hopefully someone more versed can shed some light on this.

Makes total sense. I suppose no matter what the unit would make contact and trigger the Labradar if shaken.

Initially, I put mine in place of my two round holder, but it triggered every time I cycled the bolt. I moved it to the very forward part of the NV bridge, and it works as it should, now.

I had my first successful day in almost two years of ownership with my Labradar thanks to JKL. Mine had been returned to LR twice and both times was told they found the problem........ Ha! Ya-know I just realized both times they said they found the problem, they never said anything about fixing it.

I got a Piet trigger but it's not working at all with my suppressed 22. Anyone have issues and solved them? I could use some solutions. I've tried velcroing it, draping it, wrapping the cord, everything he suggested. Doesn't pick anything up.

I got a Piet trigger but it's not working at all with my suppressed 22. Anyone have issues and solved them? I could use some solutions. I've tried velcroing it, draping it, wrapping the cord, everything he suggested. Doesn't pick anything up.

Was it the triggering or the sensing that didnt work? If sensing - did you choose the pistol setting? I know when i used it on my suppressed 300 blackout i forgot to move the lapradar setting to "pistol" (I think its called) and it wouldnt see it, but once i chose "pistol" it picked it up every time. I cant recall what labradar recommends for subsonic 22.

If triggering, just plug it in at home, arm it and give it a tap - does it trigger? A slight tap with your finger will do it.

That could very well be it! I've had it on rifle the whole time, never thought to put it on pistol, thanks!!!