• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSE E-Tac- A (somewhat) Quick Review

noremorse92

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2023
Canada
There's not a whole lot out there about this stock so I thought I'd do my bit and post my experience with mine. PSE Composites is an Irish company who makes some excellent stocks for Tikka and 700 based rifles. I believe they do Howa in a couple of their models too. All of their stocks are made of carbon fiber, but the weave is not exposed. Read more on their website.

I wanted a lightweight A5 pattern stock for my T3X and I did not want to wait a year for a Mcmillan or Manners. So after much deliberation and some over time at work I ended up ordering a PSE ETAC 'Mil Spec' (supposedly stronger and stiffer, slightly heavier too).

Lead time was supposedly 12 weeks and it arrived around 10, to Canada. Yes you read that right.

Fit and finish were quite good. DBM fit nice and snug. Barreled action drops in with no play. Dead straight in the barrel channel with a mile of clearance. No issues. Very stiff stock, especially considering how light it is. The box honestly felt empty when it arrived. Shooting is much easier than a traditional stock, and the light weight means there's no downside either. Everything they said it was going to be in other words.

Customer service was excellent. Questions often answered within an hour even, polite and helpful to boot.

My rifle is at the gunsmith so no assembled photos yet but I have some of the stock itself. I did the camo pattern, but they offer a few options there too. The owner posts here on occasion, I am surprised to not see many of these stocks out there as they really are a hidden gem.

Attachments

• 20230928_201905.jpg
    20230928_201905.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 107
  • 20230928_201951.jpg
    20230928_201951.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20230928_202130.jpg
    20230928_202130.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 108
Sorry first time I saw your post. What cal do you have in that rifle? That is a long action floor plate as in 30/06 etc or? All ok with fit and feed they can be finicky as well as some polymer mags that might be a bit wide for the T3 action. I never had a long AI polymer magazine yet.
I hope you are enjoying your stock, nice colour.
edi

Reactions: noremorse92
Sorry first time I saw your post. What cal do you have in that rifle? That is a long action floor plate as in 30/06 etc or? All ok with fit and feed they can be finicky as well as some polymer mags that might be a bit wide for the T3 action. I never had a long AI polymer magazine yet.
I hope you are enjoying your stock, nice colour.
edi
I have a 223 and 308w barrel for this action, with appropriate bolt bodies. A factory 20 inch CTR barrel for the 223 and an 18 inch bartlein varmint profile for the 308. Both are very accurate. The entire rifle weighs 9lbs with optics, mag and sling. Using an NXS 2.5-10x32 in optilock ringmounts.

That is a short action mag actually, a 223, AI branded 10rd. Feeds excellent and very smooth I can recommend, saves a little weight over the metal ones. Required a slight mod with a hand file to the outer feed lips to seat in the Atlasworx DBM properly.

The stock is excellent. No complaints. You guys really ought to look at doing a folder like Manners has. With Mlok slots set into the sides and bottom of the fore end. A dedicated 'precision' stock that offers some chassis like customization options, but still comes in light if you want it to be.

Here it is

I wanted simple and light enough to carry afield but also enough weight for consistent accuracy. I aimed for under 10lbs and ended up at 9 on the dot. The 308 barrel is a heavier profile but 2 inches shorter, it came in only an oz heavier so the feel is similar between the two.

I use a barrel vise clamped to a table to change them. I leave it in the stock, as i have bushings machined for the OD of both barrels. I use an internal action wrench. Both the receiver and barrels have small witness marks that have been verified as headspaced at 50ft lbs. That's plenty of torque, toyYou can use a crescent wrench to do all of it. Line the two marks up, swap the cocking assembly to the other bolt, pop it in, change the mag out and you are set. Takes 5 minutes or so.

I have only had time for limited testing. However, I have fully disassembled the rifle, removed the scope, put it all back together and it was 1 click off on windage the next time that I shot it. So it is a repeatable system thus far. Next weekend I will test switching calibers and zeros with the single scope. Finally going to take a weekend off work..

Attachments

• 20231210_164937.jpg
    20231210_164937.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20231024_171543.jpg
    20231024_171543.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 66
Very good. Thanks for the reply. We have not yet had many asking for a folder version and cost vs gain seemed out of proportion. Also some Euro countries are a bit awkward about folder and have minimum rifle length etc. Some just don't like the look of them and won't grant a licence etc.
The M Lock we have looked into and made first samples in our new stock range. The reason why we are hesitant is because cutting the carbon layer is not great and one needs to have the internals prepared for the openings.
edi