• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pseudo-newguy question: SPS or 5R?

vanilla_gorilla

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2008
North Florida
I'm just getting back into precision rifles after a hiatus. I sold my Savage 10FCP to a friend in a moment of weakness last year and got completely out of the precision rifle game for a time. That was a mistake, though. I've been missing it since the day the rifle was gone. I got the jones' yesterday and I've spent the better part of the night reading what I can throughout the Hide.

I'm looking to get back into the business, so to speak, and I'm thinking this time I'll go with the 700. I can lay hands on the SPS for around 550 or so, but after playing with one today, the stock feels like it will definitely have to go. I don't know yet what stock I need to be happy, but from the prices I'm seeing, by the time I spring for a stock, I'm nearly into what I can get the 5R for.

Is the 5R a significant enough improvement over the SPS that I should just spring for it up front? I can do a 5R for around nine bills or a little more, but that's enough of a price jump that it will add some time before I'll be able to make a purchase (that or I'll have to sell another gun to buy it).

Edit to add: I'm even considering going back to the Savage with the H-S Precision stock, like I had before. I'll spend about 50-100 bucks less than the 5R with the Savage. I had no complaints with the 10FCP, so it's an option, too.

Re: Pseudo-newguy question: SPS or 5R?

I really like my 5R. My brother has an SPS and it's a decent rifle, but yeah they need a stock transplant. Of course, I gave my 5R a stock transplant too.

I say go with the 5R.

SDC11346.jpg

By the way, planned accessories will likely be a SS 10x for glass, don't know yet on the mount and rings, but I'm budgeting for Badger stuff.

Uses: the rifle will see some hunting use, but will spend MUCH more time on the range than the woods.

I like both. I've got a 5R barrel which I really like, but I wanted something a little smaller/lighter. So I got an SPS T as well.
The stock had to go, but if you look around you should be able to find a good stock that will come in under the 5R price for the package. I ended up finding an LTR stock for $150.
Like you, I put a lot of Badger stuff on mine. I went with the new SS 3-9x42FFP. My intended use for this rifle is the same as yours.

M24SPST.jpg

If you like the HS stock on the 5R, then it's worth the extra coin. Otherwise,just about every heavy barrel M700 (.308) I've seen will shoot under 1moa. The 5R's seem to shoot a little better. If you intend on changing the 5R stock, then I don't think the potentially improved accuracy of the 5R barrel is worth the extra money. Barrels are consumable items and depending on how much you shoot you WILL end up changing in out for a custom tube. At that point, whether "5R" or "SPS" they will be equal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you like the HS stock on the 5R, then it's worth the extra coin. Otherwise,just about every heavy barrel M700 (.308) I've seen will shoot under 1moa. The 5R's seem to shoot a little better. If you intend on changing the 5R stock, then I don't think the potentially improved accuracy of the 5R barrel is worth the extra money. Barrels are consumable items and depending on how much you shoot you WILL end up changing in out for a custom tube. At that point, whether "5R" or "SPS" they will be equal. </div></div>

+1. If you want to build on a rifle, but want something to shoot while the funds accumulate, get the SPS. Want to shoot straight away without worry, get the 5R.

If rebarreling is what you want, then it makes no sense to get the 5R and spend the extra $.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BeachGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you want to build on a rifle, but want something to shoot while the funds accumulate, get the SPS. </div></div>

I want to shoot straightaway with the 5R, but I think my budget dictates that I'd be better off with the SPS. By purchasing the SPS, I can go for better glass while still maintaining my budget.

I not a "constant builder". I don't keep changing things around and mixing it up. When I find what works, I want to leave it the hell alone unless something else comes along to make it worth replacing.

The stock was my biggest concern. I'm not buying a brand new stick and then immediately replacing the barrel. I've got hold of a Hogue OM to replace the factory stock temporarily. It'll do to shoot while I'm deciding on what stock is going on the rifle to stay.

Have you considered the 10PC?
The trigger is really good, the weight is about 8 lbs and they shoot VERY well.
The stock is not wonderful, but it is a pretty solid stock that will not need replaced anytime soon. The comb is too low and you need a stock pack, even with low rings. However, they shoot really well and barrel replacement is a snap.

Well i got the sps and just bought a new stock for it. I dont think the 5r was out when i bought my sps. But the gun shoots great groups with reloaded ammo. I shot some 180grs out of it about a month ago the group was well below 1moa im thinking right at .5moa.

But savage has some nice rifles. My savage has a much looser action then my 700. But my savage is just a hunting rifle i have never shot savages tactical line. It also shoots well under 1moa with 105gr speers.

So it really comes down to personal preference i like both rifles but if i had to chose one or the other i would say go with the remmie sps.