• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PST Gen-II 3x15x44 or 5x25x50?

_Will_

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2022
WA
I ended up buying both of these to test within the return window period without mounting them. I'd torn between the two. My purpose is to place on a 20" AR-10 in 308. I plan to shoot past 500+ yards.

I like the 3x15x44 for the wide FOV ( better situational awareness) and it's bit more light weight. The con is at anything below 5x the reticle is very small especially at 3x. I find myself squinting to see the reticle and Christmas tree. I'd say at 480+ yards you can see large objects, it becomes harder to see anything resembling a IPSCA sized target. (10x-15 mag)

The 5x25x50 starts off at a bit higher mag, but not so much that you lose complete FOV. The larger objective and higher mags seem to be hugely beneficial and you can easily see past 500 yards looking at smaller sized objects.

Thoughts? If you had to choose one which would it be and why? for a SPR style AR-10.

I ended up buying both of these to test within the return window period without mounting them. I'd torn between the two. My purpose is to place on a 20" AR-10 in 308. I plan to shoot past 500+ yards.

I like the 3x15x44 for the wide FOV ( better situational awareness) and it's bit more light weight. The con is at anything below 5x the reticle is very small especially at 3x. I find myself squinting to see the reticle and Christmas tree. I'd say at 480+ yards you can see large objects, it becomes harder to see anything resembling a IPSCA sized target. (10x-15 mag)

The 5x25x50 starts off at a bit higher mag, but not so much that you lose complete FOV. The larger objective and higher mags seem to be hugely beneficial and you can easily see past 500 yards looking at smaller sized objects.

Thoughts? If you had to choose one which would it be and why? for a SPR style AR-10.
I'd say you answered your question and made your decision. I don't think you are wrong.

I agree with what JFR said... You answered your own question... The 5-25x50 sounds like the optic you preferred the most for this setup, shooting those distances. And honestly, It's what I would choose, as well, as I'm a bit of a magnification whore. I like precision...I like to really zoom in on what I'm aiming at.

The 3-15x44 is great for hunting in close distances, less than 300 yards. If I'm going longer than that I prefer my 5-25x50.

Reactions: FuhQ and _Will_
You have both, decide which you like better, which sounds like you did.

I've shot out to 1k plenty with optics in the 10-15x range. 308 ar i see no need for my magnification than the 3-15. I put this exact optic on my dad's seekins havak 6.5 prc, shot plenty of steel out a long ways.

like the 3x15x44 for the wide FOV and it's bit more light weight. The con is at anything below 5x the reticle is very small especially at 3x. I'd say at 480+ yards you can see large objects, it becomes harder to see anything resembling a IPSCA sized t

I've shot out to 1k plenty with optics in the 10-15x range. 308 ar i see no need for my magnification than the 3-15. I put this exact optic on my dad's seekins havak 6.5 prc, shot plenty of steel out a long ways.

Maybe your eyes are better than mine? I'm 34 with 20/20 last time I checked maybe it's getting worse? Yesterday I took both out into a open field with a few structures in varying distance. I used my range finder and las'd various houses and objects out to 800. at 650 yards or so, I used the 3X15-44 and looked at a parked pick up truck and a U.S. flag waving in the background near a warehouse. I could see them and make out the objects no issue, I kept wanting to have a wee bit more mag at 15. I used the 5x25x50 next and I could zoom and see much greater detail of the flag and the parked pick up at 650 using x18.

Next test was a small house at 800 yards with barrels infront. The 3x15x44 at max mag (15) I could see the outline and general structure of the house it was a smaller FOV and I have no doubt I could nail a target out to that distance, your target image on something like a IPSCA target is pretty small and hard to see. Did the same test with 5x25x50 and even beyond 15... Using 18x,20,25 I could make out greater detail and the shape of said barrels around the small house. Felt much more confident.

I could see the 3x15x44 being useful in a close quarters situation such as hunting from 1-450+ yards. At 3x power you could easily engage targets at 100-200 yards, the Christmas tree basically turns into a hunting crosshair with a + and the sub tensions and numbers essentially disappear. I did another test at 100 yards. The 3x15x44 with the FOV at 100-200 is hugely beneficial. ( I figure I won't be shooting anything with a 20" AR-10 that close up, would rather use a AR-15) I did the same test with the 5x25x50. The FOV is smaller, but I can quickly overcome that by taking my eyes off the scope and pointing the rifle in that general direction and I'm on target.

I would say the 3x15x44 is good for 100-500 yards. Beyond that is doable. The 5X25x50 really excels if your wanting a PRS and larger image for more detail with targets. I'd say it's 100-800+ easily.

The last test was a office building across the street. (480 yards away) The 3x15x44 I could see the outline of a computer monitor, there's no doubt in my mind as to what it is. I can clearly see the shape of it etc. The 5x25x50 at 18x the same monitor is larger, more detail, etc and just a bigger richer image in your sight.

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC
In the ideal world, you'd have a 4-20 for what you're up to and frankly I think you bought two of the wrong scope because of that.

Between the two, I'd rather have a smaller objective 3-15x44 and mount it lower.

I've owned both, I'd rather have the 5-25. It's 3oz heavier, 1.5" longer and 6mm larger Dia., and 70 MOA vs 75 MOA elevation. On a long range 308 AR none of those are likely to be deal breakers. You can always turn a 25x scope down to 15, but you can't turn a 15x scope up. If its use is long range, the 3x vs 5x at the low end isn't much of a factor as missing 15-25x. I'd also imagine, though I've never compared mine side by side the 5-25x at 15x is better otpically than the 3-15x at 15x. Most scopes lose quite a bit optically at their top limit of magnification. Now if you said it's going to be a hunting AR that might have to do really close up shots, say in a blind etc. and long range work, maybe the 3x and lighter weight/size would be more important. That said either can work, 15x isn't horrible at the ranges a .308 AR is going to top out at but if it were me I'd get the 5-25x, especially since there's almost no price difference.

Reactions: _Will_