• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

PST Gen II 5x25 or Strike Eagle 5x25

Mojo0254

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
I was very strongly considering getting a Bushnell XRS for my scope for my rifle. I will be using the rifle for mostly target shooting on the range with maybe one hunting trip and one or two PRS matches a year. My scope budget has been cut a good bit and I know some of you will recommend keep saving and get a nicer scope if I can. Basically that would mean I would end up having my rifle sitting several months without use until I could save a bit more. Based on my current budget the PST Gen II is stretching my budget but has great reviews. The strike eagle also has great reviews so which scope would you recommend or do you recommend something else in that price range?

Id take a strike eagle 5-25 over the pst gen 2 every day

34mm
Locking turrets
Much more elevation adjustment
Minimal difference in glass
Cheaper

Reactions: CSTactical
Id take a strike eagle 5-25 over the pst gen 2 every day

34mm
Locking turrets
Much more elevation adjustment
Minimal difference in glass
Cheaper
Hard to argue with those statements.

I recently bought a Strike Eagle and was pleasantly surprised with the image quality, the PST is definitely not a huge improvement, the wider FOV of the SE is also very nice and gives it one of the widest FOVs is the business.

The locking turrets are great and the zeroing process is a lot easier with the SE, which I appreciate as I seem to be incapable of mounting a scope once and just leaving it alone.

Reactions: YotaEer
There is a reason that the PST is more expensive with less features than the Strike Eagle.

I don't personally know anyone that hasn't sent their SE in for warranty work.

odd cause i know tons of PST that have been back and no strike eagles other than a few i've read on the hide for minor turret mark misalignment

odd cause i know tons of PST that have been back and no strike eagles other than a few i've read on the hide for minor turret mark misalignment

To be fair, I've seen a ton of both get sent back, but every single one of the SEs owned by friends and acquaintances have been back.

Reactions: b6graham
Similar experience here. My shooting partner's Strike Eagle had turret issues and was in for service almost immediately. On the other hand, my PST Gen 2 has been solid. The glass is close with the PST holding an edge. The 34mm tube on the SE seemed to provide a better eye box.

I was going to buy a Strike Eagle as the PST Gen 2 is moving to a new rifle, but I think the Athlon Midas Tac is a better bet. The 5-25x56 Midas Tac will cost a little more though. The 6-24x50 will be similar in price. I have looked through a 6-24x50 and it is close to the PST Gen 2 glass. I believe it to be superior to the SE. I have heard the 5-25x56 is even better. As always, YMMV.

Reactions: Mojo0254
I haven't sent either my PST or Stike Eagle back.
Maybe I'm not operatoring hard enough.

Strike Eagle. I have PST G2 and buddy has a SE, glass was slightly better on the SE and brighter, more features.

however, SE elevation is reduced when using a zero stop, so it may not have enough elevation for 1600+ with 6.5CM

Strike Eagle. I have PST G2 and buddy has a SE, glass was slightly better on the SE and brighter, more features.
Just goes to show that scopes and eyes are all a little different. I had the opposite impression on the glass and neither is right or wrong. The SE does win on features, although I do think turrets on the PST G2 are more precise.

however, SE elevation is reduced when using a zero stop, so it may not have enough elevation for 1600+ with 6.5CM
Good thing they can handle 40moa of cant no problem and end up with 5ish mil below zero (without zero stop)

If you run a 20moa rail and 0 rings you can use the zero stop and not lose any travel

Reactions: Rob01
Fwiw. At DA 0 my 6.5 load is 18.5mil to 1600y and I could hold out to 1900y with zero stop installed

Versus 1850 and 2100 without zero stop

Yup run at least a 40 moa base with the SE. Even with the zero stop installed you get 18 mils and the PST has 20 total so with a 20 moa base you are around 16 mils so not losing anything.

The PST does have a crisper feel to the knobs and also has the clickless zero for a perfect zero which is nice. As mentioned the glass is pretty close between the PST and SE.

Have one of the first SE scopes and have used it a lot and never had to go back for anything. Tracks and returns to zero. Haven’t heard of a bunch going back. Main issue I have heard of is the knob lines not lining up and that is fixed usually with a new knob.

Agreed.
On my 1 mile shot, I struggled to find/see target-it was very dull with the PST G2 and fuzzy compared to the SE. if I recall, I used all the dial with 20 MOA base and held over 36 MOA.
I like the turrets on the pst. Came home and compared PST/SE at 600 yds and disappointed that PST did not outperform SE to my or buddies eyes.
SE seems to be good price-performance ratio.
thinking of replacing PST G2 with one of these: Mk5HD, Toric, Cronus, XTR3

Don’t forget a Razor II in that list.

If you insist on Chinesium, don't forget the Athlon Midas Tac series.
If you stretch your budget just a bit more, the USO T20 is apparently made in Japan: