• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PT&G B12 action, worth having or no?

SamichWayne

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2017
Terry, Mississippi
Like the title says, are they worth having?

I am building a 223 "trainer", and was going to go with a trued Rem action until I saw the price point on the PT&G. Considering I am a FFL dealer I can get a little bit of a price break on the PT&G. Its not huge break, but a break none the less. BUT, I don't want to waste 600 plus dollars on an action that I'm going to hate.

Currently I have a Stiller Tac30 and from what i understand they use a PT&G bolt. I like my Stiller, I have nothing to say bad about it. It has a lot of rounds on it, and has never made me wish I didn't have it.

Plan(in case it matters for an opinion)
20" 223 Bartlein #13 1:7.7
Q r700 chassis when released
2 stage trigger(waiting on TT release, again, price break)
Area 419 Hellfire brake.

They are making them for other people as well. I handled one a few months back. For the price it’s a good deal. But there is no fluff, not that it’s needed. It’s not slick, but that will come with running the bolt. So cheaper than buying a 700 and truing. I’m still debating on buying one my self.

Reactions: SamichWayne
It’s tighter than a standard bolt gun so no wobble. One step above a new 700 in ruff ness. I do believe it would slick up just by running it. Nothing needing polishing. For reference my first custom rifle have a trued 700. It ran as slick as I ever needed. I think this will do better in short order. I don’t thing it will ever be equal to my Nesika Bay or defiance. I would guess it will smooth out to be equal to my origin.

The Defiance Tenacity is next on my list for sure. I'm just trying to stay as budget friendly as possible. I do believe the Defiance would be a better/slicker option, but the PT&G has a better price.

I would make sure that they are in stock and get a serial number on the action when if you buy one. PT&G has some good stuff but there has been some problems with people getting what was ordered

So hears my opinion and it's worth nothing. I have an original Nesika Bay action. It was so tight from the start I had to send it back because the fouling from the 338LM caused issues closing the bolt. Guess they built it to bench rest spec instead of tactical. Works great now. I have an old Lawton receiver on my other 338LM. Not as slick but just a as fast and effective at 2/3 the price. I have a Defiance action that had the same issue I had with the Nesika Bay after being told it would not. Gunsmith fixed it, works great now. I have trued 700s some sleeved and some PTG bolts that smoothed out quick and run fast. I tried to order a Curtis Custom Action, could not get through after several phone calls and emails. Sad, as they are about 1 hour from me. I've got a Big Horn Origin that I absolutely love. Price and function were a perfect fit. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.
So here is what I've gleamed after all that money in custom rifles and worked up stock rifles. The barrel is the number one thing for precision. The action is more or less what you value in feel verses anything else. Yes they have great features, but most are not an issue for the non sponsored shooters. Smaller cocking angle, small fringe pin, EDM wielded rails, Bordon bumps, Cf, RF, number of lugs, pined recoil lug, one piece receiver and rail, the list goes on. All important features if your sport or job depend on them. For the average shooter, they do nothing. Oh yea, don't forget. Fireing pins, springs, extractors, ejectors and such break. Make sure you have backups for the odd ball actions. Sucks being down at a match or training class because your $1,500 action broke and extractor.

The Defiance Tenacity is next on my list for sure. I'm just trying to stay as budget friendly as possible. I do believe the Defiance would be a better/slicker option, but the PT&G has a better price.

I looked into the PTG when I was looking to do a budget minded build. I ended up with a Tenacity and am extremely happy I went with the Defiance. So much so I’m building another rig on one. Not to say the PTG is bad, but I feel the extra money on a Tenacity is money well spent. More refined and has much more of a custom action feel. Mine has been absolutely flawless so far...

You won't see any difference between the Stiller and the PT&G except the label

for less than $200 more you could have an Origin or APR2. swappable boltheads. 'training' rifle can also be main rifle with a very easy bolt swap

that's a case of ammo difference

Reactions: Ripdog28
That APR2 looks a lot like the PT&G action with a few different options. I’m close to them I’ll try an swing by this week or the next to see what’s up.

There's multiple PT&G models....
They have "rebranded" Stillers. I have a B24, B29, & B17. I sold my B58. I bought these very cheap last year, when they were on clearance.(less $700 ea)
Now, they have the Made in House B12 & B52. I bought a B12 and it's nothing more than a blue printed Rem 700 with a different ejection port.
No side bolt release,no pinned lug and requires a proprietary scope mount(odd bolt spacing) ....and the serial number is right wear a side bolt release should be...Had to have the SN relocated, for the release to be installed.
For the money, they are not a deal by any means...My Origin is my favorite and is the best buy out there

Last edited: