• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG actions

uppercut11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2020
I am doing my first rifle build in 7 mm PRC and am trying to do everything as economically as possible while getting decent components. I ordered a grayboe pheonix 2 stock and bottom metal on their 40% off sale. Looking at a carbon six barrel currently.

For the action my gunsmith is recommending a Pacific Gauge and Tool (PGT) action. Looking around online I see overwhelmingly negative feedback on PGT, but it mostly seems to be based on bad customer service, long lead times, and them sending the wrong parts. I am wondering what the feedback is on the actual quality of their actions once you get it and get what you ordered. It would be about $750.

As a side note I am also wondering about the Stiller actions that PGT sells on their website, some of which have different model numbers than anything you find on Stiller's website. Is the Stiller Tac 7 on PTG's website basically the same as the TAC 30 on Stiller's website? Also the price for the Stiller Tac 7 is basically the same as the PGT action. Is one better than the other?

I am also open to any recommendations for other actions. I have read a lot of forum threads on this and am also looking at the Mac Bros EVO II and considering spending the extra money for a Zermatt (formerly bighorn) Origin. I appreciate any insight.

Last edited:
PTG is probably the last place I’d spend my money. Many better options. Watch the px here to. Decent deals. Or Black Friday deals
I have been looking for black friday deals but haven't really seen any. Any good deals going you know of. Going to show my ignorance here but what is px?

I have been looking for black friday deals but haven't really seen any. Any good deals going you know of. Going to show my ignorance here but what is px?
The for sale section here

Not sure what your time frame is for the build. But guys always swap parts when new stuff comes out or just to try something else. Especially in the off season

Big horn origin is $900. Many guys use those

Everything to do with ptg

Buy a solus for the same money (less actually) but even if it were more money it would be worth it to not be ptg.
I am only seeing the Solus in SA. I just edited the original post to show the build is for a 7 mm PRC since I realized I left that out. Do they make a LA that I am just not seeing? Made by Aero Precision right?

Reactions: spife7980
Look at the barreled action special from PVA

@bohem

Look at the barreled action special from PVA

@bohem
Just read that thread. I am not in touch enough to know what the maker is on the actions he is talking about. Do you know?

I do not, but you could call them tomorrow and ask or send a private message to @bohem here on the HIDE

Aero has the Solus on sale for 20% off right now, something like $720 with free shipping and you can use Origin pre-fits.

Aero has the Solus on sale for 20% off right now, something like $720 with free shipping and you can use Origin pre-fits.
I could only find it in a short action though on their website. Am I missing something?

The for sale section here

Not sure what your time frame is for the build. But guys always swap parts when new stuff comes out or just to try something else. Especially in the off season

Big horn origin is $900. Many guys use those
Considering that one. It is $1k in the long action anywhere I can find it.

I am only seeing the Solus in SA. I just edited the original post to show the build is for a 7 mm PRC since I realized I left that out. Do they make a LA that I am just not seeing? Made by Aero Precision right?
They make a magnum but it’s all short action right now. I’d go origin or the arc cdg.

They make a magnum but it’s all short action right now. I’d go origin or the arc cdg.
The CDG is an interesting one I hadn't come across. Looks like it is $900 so slightly cheaper than the origin. Do you think it is similar quality to the origin?

The CDG is an interesting one I hadn't come across. Looks like it is $900 so slightly cheaper than the origin. Do you think it is similar quality to the origin?
Absolutely. I don’t have a cdg but I think my nucleus and Archimedes are origin equivalent

Just read that thread. I am not in touch enough to know what the maker is on the actions he is talking about. Do you know?
If PVA is selling their actions, then it is good. I would contact PVA who a Hide supported vender.

Here is the post on it....

I would buy this before a PTG refurbished Remington 700 Action.

Reactions: DIBBS
Never buy from PTG. Maybe a decade ago but not now

Get an Origin or a CDG or a Mack Bros if you want to get new and keep costs down

Never buy from PTG. Maybe a decade ago but not now

Get an Origin or a CDG or a Mack Bros if you want to get new and keep costs down
Looks like Mac Bros only has BDL in a long action though?

Still not seeing any details of why to not buy from PTG. I believe the consensus but still wondering if it is based on customer service or product quality. Can anyone share detail on quality of their actions?

You can go ahead and take your chances and probably get screwed, or you can make a decision not to purchase based on other members bad experiences with PTG.

It's your money, and it's up to you. Dunno if you're being a troll or don't trust the members recommendations here.

Soooo many better options, but go ahead, buy from PTG and report back.

Still not seeing any details of why to not buy from PTG. I believe the consensus but still wondering if it is based on customer service or product quality. Can anyone share detail on quality of their actions?
You’re probably not going to get many reply’s on the PTG actions. It’s just overall for parts people have bought in past 10 years. Out of spec stuff with crap service

For me it was a fluted bolt body that was out of spec and jammed up the action. Sent back to midway or wherever I got it from

Trust us just stay away. The $1000 for an origin is worth the cost over anything PTG

But if you insist just get the PTG. We will see you in the armory thread in a couple months

You’re probably not going to get many reply’s on the PTG actions. It’s just overall for parts people have bought in past 10 years. Out of spec stuff with crap service

For me it was a fluted bolt body that was out of spec and jammed up the action. Sent back to midway or wherever I got it from

Trust us just stay away. The $1000 for an origin is worth the cost over anything PTG

But if you insist just get the PTG. We will see you in the armory thread in a couple months
Appreciate the detail. Like I said in the last post, I believe the consensus on here and don't plan to go with one (maybe I wasn't clear on that), but just hadn't seen any details on why people were not liking them. Seeing from your post that they are out of spec and that you had an issue with the bolt is the type of information I was looking for.

You mentioned the Stiller actions sold by PTG in the op. I bought one of those several years ago and have been happy with it. I did have to call Stiller to make sure the model was dimensionally identical to a Predator. It came very plainly marked/stamped, and after about 200 rounds it became a smooth, issue-less action. Basically a roundback with an upgraded 700 bolt. I can't say I was thrilled to send PTG money for it, as I too have had issues with them....but for me, the Stiller purchase turned out fine for what it is.

Reactions: Sisq longgun
Please for the love of God and Country AVOID PTG!

You have been warned by others before me.

Please listen to them.

Appreciate the detail. Like I said in the last post, I believe the consensus on here and don't plan to go with one (maybe I wasn't clear on that), but just hadn't seen any details on why people were not liking them. Seeing from your post that they are out of spec and that you had an issue with the bolt is the type of information I was looking for.
Just want to be clear. It wasn’t a PTG action. Only a bolt body. Was for a savage 10. But there’s been many other issues over the years

To OP;

& we'll be saying "and we tried to warn you over and over an you still didn't listen".

As so many others have said, they're just plain bad news. Stay way. Too many (way) better options out there.

So to redirect this post a bit, now I am looking at:
1) Mac Bros EVO II - Only comes in long action in a BDL. Could I even use this with my Grayboe M5 DBM bottom metal?
2) Zermatt Origin - Haven't really seen anything bad about this one but it is a little more money and saw some posts saying the Coup de Grace had a better design.
3) American Rifle Company Coup de Grace - Half a pound heavier than the others. Less than a year old and saw some other posts where ARC designs sometimes take some tweaking after they are released.
4) Pure Precision SKLTN - don't know much about this one. Just came across it.

What does everyone think?

Last edited:
So to redirect this post a bit, now I am looking at:
1) Mac Bros EVO II - Only comes in long action in a BDL. Could I even use this with my Grayboe M5 DBM bottom metal?
2) Zermatt Origin - Haven't really seen anything bad about this one but it is a little more money and saw some posts saying the Coup de Grace had a better design.
3) American Rifle Company Coup de Grace - Half a pound heavier than the others. Less than a year old and saw some other posts where ARC designs sometimes take some tweaking after they are released.

What does everyone think?
Give this a read

Give this a read

Thanks. I had seen that one and it seems like it was a toss up between the two from the comments.

It's both. Bad quality and bad customer service. Too many things of their are out of spec / beyond tolerances

Ptg can put out a good product as easy as a bad one.

But they can also tell you something is in stock, a month later tell you that it’s shipping that day, two months later tell you that they haven’t had any for a year now and then when you cancel they will charge you a restocking fee for something that doesn’t exist that they lied to you about in the first place.

It’s just not worth the gamble.
It’s business practices as much as product quality everyone will steer you away from.

I just bought a complete Rem 700 ADL in 300 WM for $540 out the door. For just its action. Decided to shoot it.
Lapped the barrel, threaded for a brake, bought a discounted alum chassis, loaded it with old deteriorating imr 7828 and a few match bullets, mixed range brass.
It actually shoots half inch 5 shot groups.
But I didn't buy it for the 300 WM.
I use PT&G products all the time. Ordered 3 reamers recently a 30RAR, 510 whisper, & 8.6 Blackout in the last 2 months, all are correct and cut nicely. I have used several of their replacement 700 bolts. Over a period of 25 or 30 yrs I got one wrong part. These 3 reamers were at my door from 6 days to 30 days being the longest...still waiting on the fast twist barrel blanks for two projects. But never had any trouble with their reamers cutting nice chambers time after time...
Everybody likes to complain, about something, but I recommend PT&G cause I actually use their products and spend thousands of dollars on them, with excellent results.

Reactions: Sisq longgun
The Mack Bros action is a very nice piece and a good choice.

The other 2 may be also. I have no firsthand experience with them.

This is an echo chamber... there are no details because they don't have any worthwhile. As most are not machinists or gunsmiths. Opinionated parrots, which is fine.
Like buy a PT&G replacement bolt, that says, it's Not a drop in...then expect it to drop in, with perfect headspace. Then whine cause it doesn't fit ...they will machine the exact diameter if you measure correctly, but then it's still not a drop in, and must be properly headspaceed. Easy if ya know what you're doing, and have machine tools. Alot of their tools are for advanced hobbyist, gunsmiths, and machinist. I have never purchased their complete action, but use their replacement bolts...as I true all my actions myself. There should be no problem with the complete actions. Bolt parts sometimes must be fitted, if ya can't do machine work or have basic skills, buy elsewhere and have someone who knows how, build it for you. Their customer service is somewhat lacking...but most of their quality has been very good....as advertised, "not a drop in", is just that. I just order what I want it arrives in a timely manner...and I've been using them alot lately...from one who actually buys their products, for gunsmithing purposes, mostly reamers, cutting tools, and replacement bolts and parts. It ain't AR 15 stuff, plug and play...untill all the recievers from a specific manufacturer are exactly the same, you'll need the fitting of parts. Tolerences stack up and super precision cost time & money...and then you still may need to do some fitting, as even quality manufacturers have had some quality issues...not quite up to par...lately.

Anyone have experience with Kelbly's Atlas Lite or Pure Precision SKLTN? Both are much lighter and are on decent deals right now.

Anyone have experience with Kelbly's Atlas Lite or Pure Precision SKLTN? Both are much lighter and are on decent deals right now.
I believe you are over thinking the action, some have different features, as to how they eject, or load, push feed, or controlled round feed...etc.
Get the one that has the features you like, for your shooting/ hunting endevor.
On Sale, great, get that one if it fits your needs. Building a light carry rifle, intermediate, or a heavy rigid bench gun, with a bull barrel, will help determine the action you might choose.
The Barrel is far more important than the action. The action is down the list, and more of a preference, with respect to the weight of the barrel you intend to hang on it.

I believe you are over thinking the action, some have different features, as to how they eject, or load, push feed, or controlled round feed...etc.
Get the one that has the features you like, for your shooting/ hunting endevor.
On Sale, great, get that one if it fits your needs. Building a light carry rifle, intermediate, or a heavy rigid bench gun, with a bull barrel, will help determine the action you might choose.
The Barrel is far more important than the action. The action is down the list, and more of a preference, with respect to the weight of the barrel you intend to hang on it.
You are probably right. Being my first build I am probably over thinking it. I am building a medium weight hunting rifle. Likely any of the actions will be fine. Without any experience in any of them it is just nice to get some data points from those who have actually used them.

An echo chamber he says. This is a place with many people who have been screwed over by PTG and their suck ass service and products. This is place with many people who have been illegally charged restocking fees for items that don't exist. Many of the complaints over the years have come from machinists and gun smiths. And its not because their bolts aren't drop in. Its out spec reamers, poor quality parts, parts that don't ship, lies about parts being shipped, then rude customer service to back it all up. Literally anyone can find hundreds of these stories online. Don't become another. 45-90 is literally the one guy I have seen recommend them in last decade. I would think either he is the luckiest dude ever, to never have a problem with them, the densest dude ever and just keeps beating his against the wall, or he works for them.

750 for Remington 700 action is way too much also.

You are probably right. Being my first build I am probably over thinking it. I am building a medium weight hunting rifle. Likely any of the actions will be fine. Without any experience in any of them it is just nice to get some data points from those who have actually used them.
If working with a particular gunsmith, talk to him about actions he is comfortable working with, that meet your needs...maybe try a few actions he has on hand, to see how they "feel" to you, for ease of cocking, smoothness, features of this action, 3 lug or 2 lug, etc...what others like may not be for you...but they all work.

This is an echo chamber... there are no details because they don't have any worthwhile. As most are not machinists or gunsmiths. Opinionated parrots, which is fine.

Hmmmm.

My final two examples of PTG incompetence.

I ordered a 338 Lapua reamer from Dave. Spent 10-15 minutes on the phone with him. Settled on the specs for a reamer. A couple months later the reamer and gauges showed up. Pretty close to what we settled on, no biggie. Then a month or two later another reamer shows up. Same reamer and gauges. I check my credit card and I was billed twice. They had done the charge twice deal to me before but never sent a second reamer. I called back and was told that if I return the second reamer I would have to pay a restock fee. I still have the unused reamer as a reminder.

A few years back I saw that PTG had 40X rimfire bolts in stock again. The last ones I had ordered came with the bolt handle not attached. This time the picture on their site showed that they were attached. I called and asked. I was told that 100% for sure they were attached. It showed up not attached. Same drill, if you dont like it, you have to pay a restock fee. Luckily they only charged my credit card once.

After that I walked away. PTG used to be awesome. Not anymore.

Hmmmm.

My final two examples of PTG incompetence.

I ordered a 338 Lapua reamer from Dave. Spent 10-15 minutes on the phone with him. Settled on the specs for a reamer. A couple months later the reamer and gauges showed up. Pretty close to what we settled on, no biggie. Then a month or two later another reamer shows up. Same reamer and gauges. I check my credit card and I was billed twice. They had done the charge twice deal to me before but never sent a second reamer. I called back and was told that if I return the second reamer I would have to pay a restock fee. I still have the unused reamer as a reminder.

A few years back I saw that PTG had 40X rimfire bolts in stock again. The last ones I had ordered came with the bolt handle not attached. This time the picture on their site showed that they were attached. I called and asked. I was told that 100% for sure they were attached. It showed up not attached. Same drill, if you dont like it, you have to pay a restock fee. Luckily they only charged my credit card once.

After that I walked away. PTG used to be awesome. Not anymore.
I have been doing business with PT&G for 30 yrs, one of my first orders was the wrong tool and clearly marked Savage, I wanted Remington...talked to Dave, returned the wrong tool, and along with the correct replacement tool ... he sent me a set of Remington 700 action accuracy video tapes free for my trouble.
Never paid a restocking fee, never canceled an order, or returned another PT&G product...since then, they have all been correct. I order what I need it arrives, some surprisingly fast like 6 days from order, for a 30 RAR reamer to 30 days for a 510 Whisper, and abot 10 days for the 8.6 Blackout reamer all ordered in the last few months. So basically I've had quality parts, made, with little communication after the order, kind of a negative, but it shows up in a timely manner. I have never experienced a restocking fee for their mistakes but there was only one along time ago, and nothing like others are saying, I too would not be happy with that..
But many cancel orders, or want to change specs after the initial order, and time may be put into making a reamer for example they can not sell, easily. A restocking fee is a lot more common these days, when you check the fine print. I have to put 50% down and a fee for canceling a special barrel twist, like the 10 twist .510, and the 6.5 twist 338, when ordering a barrel blank, so it's expensive to change your mind, make sure before you complete the order.

Details:

-Stan

I have been doing business with PT&G for 30 yrs, one of my first orders was the wrong tool and clearly marked Savage, I wanted Remington...talked to Dave, returned the wrong tool, and along with the correct replacement tool ... he sent me a set of Remington 700 action accuracy video tapes free for my trouble.
Never paid a restocking fee, never canceled an order, or returned another PT&G product...since then, they have all been correct. I order what I need it arrives, some surprisingly fast like 6 days from order, for a 30 RAR reamer to 30 days for a 510 Whisper, and abot 10 days for the 8.6 Blackout reamer all ordered in the last few months. So basically I've had quality parts, made, with little communication after the order, kind of a negative, but it shows up in a timely manner. I have never experienced a restocking fee for their mistakes but there was only one along time ago, and nothing like others are saying, I too would not be happy with that..
But many cancel orders, or want to change specs after the initial order, and time may be put into making a reamer for example they can not sell, easily. A restocking fee is a lot more common these days, when you check the fine print. I have to put 50% down and a fee for canceling a special barrel twist, like the 10 twist .510, and the 6.5 twist 338, when ordering a barrel blank, so it's expensive to change your mind, make sure before you complete the order.
You wanted details, I gave you details.

I also had been doing business with PTG for 25-30 years.

The link to the thread Stan just posted above has plenty more.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: stanley_white
My experiences with PT&G has been positive for 30 yrs, even very recently. Until they screw me over, I can not jump on the negative train...so I'll continue to do business with them as long as my experiences are mostly positive. I've had negative experiences with quite a few major manufacturers, but it they correct the problem without being too rude, or another person takes charge of the complaint, that's customer friendly, which happens quite often...I'll continue to do business with them.
Examples Wilson Combat, Odin Works, Faxon, Vortex Optics, are a few examples of first person contact was very negative... so bad I almost never bought from them again... Wilson Combat and Vortex Optics were really negative, until I got the right person on a different call... completely different attitude and customer friendly. The last two Bartlein barrels were relapped before installed, as they did an incomplete job, unlike prior barrels with a complete lapping job. Odin Works used a wore out chamber reamer ...orderd a reamer from Brownells and finished it myself. Plus the barrel nut would not fit over their barrel...it had to be bored out. Wilson Combat argued about the quality of their barrel until the 30 day return policy almost ran out, but after I sent a picture of the inside of the barrel, and got the right person with customer skills, all was well. And I continue to buy from all these manufacturers.

Cool starry bra...🤣🤣🤣 I am not going to waste my time telling my stories. They are in some of the other plethora of threads about PTG. Don't say we didn't warn you about getting PTGed.

But we don't even need to go there. 750 for a Remington 700 action. Pass when not much more gets you a prefit compatible custom action.

Now you spend that gunsmith money on an action wrench and barrel vice and you're off to the races. Welcome to the 21st century. 🤣🤣🤣