• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG Bolt

Mac brothers sells aftermarket 700 bolts. cones nose bolts are for coned Breech barrels

Last edited:
Reactions: Threadcutter308
Breech - noun: the part of a firearm at the rear of the barrel. (Amongst other definitions)

Breach - noun: a gap (as in a wall) made by battering (Amongst other definitions)

This is right up there with brake (to slow down) and break (to smash something)

All of you with muzzle breaks on your barrels instead of brakes probably have a breach in the barrel at the breech because of you breaking the other end....

I bought an aftermarket PTG one-piece bolt to replace a factory R700 bolt in a 300WM Remage rifle. It ended up costing me another $350+ in labor to get a gunsmith to fix the bolt and barrel because PTG messaged up the order and we couldn’t get them to make it right.

Go with something else if you can.

Breech - noun: the part of a firearm at the rear of the barrel. (Amongst other definitions)

Breach - noun: a gap (as in a wall) made by battering (Amongst other definitions)

This is right up there with brake (to slow down) and break (to smash something)

All of you with muzzle breaks on your barrels instead of brakes probably have a breach in the barrel at the breech because of you breaking the other end....
Smartass......... :ROFLMAO:

@para1505
Read this first and see if you really want to do business with them.

If you think that is too old look at more recent.

Friends don't let friends buy PTG. Now glowies can buy from them all they want.

I’m not going to say that everything PTG has ever made is crap - there’s anecdotal evidence to the contrary - but everything I’ve ordered has been both late and out of spec.

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
Pacific Tool& Gauge bolts have mostly been a good product for me...they are not a "drop in" fit, necessarily, even besides the headspace issue that is not an issue and is actually expected.. most problems easily corrected in a lathe. and bolt extractor parts like the M16 may require fitting, or re drilling ... it's more of a gunsmith part, than a consumer part. I do my own gun work so it's not a big deal to turn down a bolt to fit the action or re-do in a milling machine.
They can give you the wrong part, and customer service needs improvement. I buy their products "in stock" from vendors, no waiting.

• Haha
Reactions: Fig
Remington 700 coned bolts are for those who have aftermarket coned barrel at the beginning of the chamber to supposedly facilitate feeding.
The standard factory Remington 700 is chambered with the "famous" Remington 700 barrel counter bore in the barrel providing "3 rings of steel" surrounding the brass case head.
You do not want the cone bolt for the factory counter bore barrel. I prefer the counter bore of the original design.

Reactions: Baron23
Only time I'd consider a coned barrel chamber / bolt combo....is...
If I was a professional hunter engaged charging elephant, and rino at 20 yards with a straight wall 458 mag, or 458 Lott, I'd have a cone barrel chambered in a Model 70 Winchester with it's controlled round feed, big old claw extractor in moderate pressure loads...let those big 500 gr bullets do the work....with no interruptions..JMO .

Reactions: Bender
Pacific Tool& Gauge bolts have mostly been a good product for me...they are not a "drop in" fit, necessarily, even besides the headspace issue that is not an issue and is actually expected.. most problems easily corrected in a lathe. and bolt extractor parts like the M16 may require fitting, or re drilling ... it's more of a gunsmith part, than a consumer part. I do my own gun work so it's not a big deal to turn down a bolt to fit the action or re-do in a milling machine.
They can give you the wrong part, and customer service needs improvement. I buy their products "in stock" from vendors, no waiting.
So, you're saying that if you are a machinist and own a lathe/mill PTG is a great option for mostly finished out of spec gun parts, that will fit after further machining by you?

So, you're saying that if you are a machinist and own a lathe/mill PTG is a great option for mostly finished out of spec gun parts, that will fit after further machining by you?
nailed-it.gif

Yes, the bolt is not a drop in... like most standardized AR 15 parts... which some of those standardized parts do not fit as many find, when assembling an AR. I found that out again yesterday 2 of 4 would not quite fit...ya just do a little rework. Same is true for the Rem 700 PT&G bolt. You can measure both front
And rear bridges to get the diameter and order that dia minus a thousandth or two...but that may take awhile...most of their bolts will fit the 700 recievers but not all, there is a variation in diameters in recievers and variation in front and rear bridge diameters, plus all the tolerence stack up. And the M16 extractor parts will likely need to be fitted to the bolt cut out. And bolt nose dia. and headspace must be checked, and adjusted (machined) if necessary...so yes the PT&G bolts work fine for me...and great for a new build.

To go with your banana shaped, out of spec, 700 action.

• Haha
Reactions: Yasherka
d3171c58-14a8-45e3-a23f-07c4f6d07d6b_text.gif

To go with your banana shaped, out of spec, 700 action.
The recievers are most likely within factory specifications ... no reciever is perfect, no matter who makes it...they all fall within tolerences specified by the manufacturer.
So ya can bore the reciever bolt raceway, if ya want, I sometimes do.. But not necessary, most are usually within .001" to .0015" difference end to end. Example .702" to .7035" some less. Not a big deal...just slide a .700" to .701" bolt dia ordered from PT&G and have a nice fitting bolt. Full bolt lug engagement when the receiver is trued...for a nice action, capable of small groups with a good quality barrel...works for me, saves me time and money. If It's not for you, don't do it...simple.

Don't forget to add that you are also young enough to wait the months and months for the part to even be delivered.

Hoelee sheet!
look at this!

Fucking DARPA (secret-weapons-lab special exclusive maximum) cut by actual retired military personnel! How many companies use pussyass, regular, trained machinists to run their mills? Not PTG! These shouldn’t be for sale to the non-pipe hitting public. That’s the most bitchen, tactical, snipery, do-my-fucking-part action on the planet, and you can ONlY get one from PTG. In fact, what other company has a sale on “made-to-order” parts you have to wait for? Is this like a bespoke overstock?

Honestly, if I didn’t know this was real I’d say that even their website is a parody.

The recievers are most likely within factory specifications ... no reciever is perfect, no matter who makes it...they all fall within tolerences specified by the manufacturer.
So ya can bore the reciever bolt raceway, if ya want, I sometimes do.. But not necessary, most are usually within .001" to .0015" difference end to end. Example .702" to .7035" some less. Not a big deal...just slide a .700" to .701" bolt dia ordered from PT&G and have a nice fitting bolt. Full bolt lug engagement when the receiver is trued...for a nice action, capable of small groups with a good quality barrel...works for me, saves me time and money. If It's not for you, don't do it...simple.
Or you just buy a Tikka...

Hoelee sheet!
look at this!

Fucking DARPA (secret-weapons-lab special exclusive maximum) cut by actual retired military personnel! How many companies use pussyass, regular, trained machinists to run their mills? Not PTG! These shouldn’t be for sale to the non-pipe hitting public. That’s the most bitchen, tactical, snipery, do-my-fucking-part action on the planet, and you can ONlY get one from PTG. In fact, what other company has a sale on “made-to-order” parts you have to wait for? Is this like a bespoke overstock?

Honestly, if I didn’t know this was real I’d say that even their website is a parody.
LOL! Yeah, 'cause I need a bolt action rifle with pic rails mounted on the side. <chuckle> "Gee, let's take a 700 action cut and D&T'ed for test equipment, and talk it up as some super spook gun, and charge people a premium for it." Smdh...

LOL! Yeah, 'cause I need a bolt action rifle with pic rails mounted on the side. <chuckle> "Gee, let's take a 700 action cut and D&T'ed for test equipment, and talk it up as some super spook gun, and charge people a premium for it." Smdh...
I bought the last 17, wait for the sale thread and pick one up not so cheap

If I had a Remington 700 action that was missing the bolt I think I would do a full stop right there. The replacement bolt is $300 (in the white) then you need the extractor, ejector and firing pin so the cost is climbing. Then when you get it the headspace is going to be wrong so that will cost extra to have that fixed. Then add in the hazards of dealing with PTG and there you go.

Time to just buy a complete after market action like the Mack Bros for $775 have a barrel fit to it and move on. You're going to get too close to the same cost in it to stay with the factory action.

where in any of that explanation did it save you time and money?
You do it your self, no long wait times, no labor costs...example the Bartlein barrel arrived about a week after I ordered it at noon.. I already had the components for the build including a new PT& G bolt . So I chambered, threaded for a 419 muzzle brake, trued the action, installed the m16 extractor, made a bolt knob, and reloaded new Alpha 6 dasher brass in 12 hrs total including breaks, eating and a cold drink or two...I was shooting the rifle in 24 hrs after the barrel blank was delivered....no labor cost, tranfer fees, shipping of a rifle, no waiting for a gunsmith to get around to my project for 6 months or longer.
At probably half the cost or less, built to what I want, in about 8 hours...talk about saving a ton time and money! And fitting the extractor is about a 15 minute operation in the PT&G bolt, including put in the mill and open the pin hole, a few file strokes make for perfect operation, and install a light ejector spring so the dasher brass doesn't fly far from the shooter...the rifle shoots small groups and takes high pressure loads well, like 107 gr at 3130 fps or 110 gr at 3085 fps 115 Dtac at 3020 fps ...or super accuracy at 3020 fps wih 108 Berger. Or alter the 300 Rum action to feed 4.020" out of the mag. An AR 10 to feed 2.940". You do that by building my own rifles, and chambering to my specs, and alter whatever I want. I have 3 twist 6 twists and most of the rest, hybrid cases for mag velocities in 6.5 Creedmoor. And fired light 9mm pistol bullets in 358 Win to 3766 fps in a 16" barrel yesterday on a caliber thats hard to get 2500 fps in 16". All these things and more are possible, if you think outside the box, and learn to build dies, rifles, etc...Yourself. Lower cost, no line, no waiting,...awaits.