• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG Bolts

Re: PTG Bolts

As everything Dave makes, they are very well made, and yes they are worth the up grade if your doing a truing job on your Remington action.

By the time I added the bolt, firing pin, having raceway reamed, etc, I was cheaper going with a predator...

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rasman35</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone using a PTG bolt in there remington 700? if so are they worth the $$$ to upgrade? </div></div>

what is your factory bolt not doing that you think it should?

I recently reamed a model 700 and installed an oversize PT&G bolt for a shooter on the East coast.
I think Dave makes a damn good bolt.

I got one of their one-piece bolts for a 223/308 project gun I'm building and am quite pleased with it. IMHO, by the time you open it up, true it, install an extractor, thread it, and flute it just buying a PTG that's GTG is worth the $$ vs converting a 223 bolt to a 308. And that's assuming you have a 100% success rate and never ever mungle one up.

Chad at LongRifles Inc put an oversized PTG bolt in my 6-284 (SH thread 6-284 remix), for th price it's nearly impossible to beat, machine work is great, finish is flawless & the turn around time was very quick, if you are in the process of a build & need to modify the bolt, give PTG a call, you won't be sorry.

I bought a Rem700 in 22-250 for the action. Come to find out it was a pre-64 and has a riveted extractor. I'm going to replace the factory bolt with a PTG bolt with a Sako extractor. I'm building up a .308 and I'm expecting a barrel from Krieger at the end of March. Just didn't seem right using the old style extractor on the build. But, next time I'm shopping for an action I will double-check the extractor to determine the age of the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one of their one-piece bolts for a 223/308 project gun I'm building and am quite pleased with it. IMHO, by the time you open it up, true it, install an extractor, thread it, and flute it just buying a PTG that's GTG is worth the $$ vs converting a 223 bolt to a 308. And that's assuming you have a 100% success rate and never ever mungle one up. </div></div>

I agree, its nice to have a one piece bolt that we know has a square and true bolt nose that is not wobbling all over the place, has any choice of extractor and has a handle that should never break off.

I'm waiting for the gang at PTG to start making these bolts with a guided firing pin. Why would you go anywhere else then????

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you get better accuracy just by droping in a new bolt in a factory gun? </div></div>

in theory, possibly. in reality, probably not a noticeable amount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one on the way for a 260 build. Is it necessary to still go ahead and true the action? </div></div>

i would. a square bolt in an untrue receiver is still an untrue action.

What kind of benefits should I expect on a trued up action if I add the 1 piece ptg bolt?

And the extractor installing... Do I have to get the parts for that?

I understand I'd have less play as the lugs are trued up. But if my bolt's lugs are lapped to my action, what would another benefit be besides the fluting looking cool? Lol

I use them in all the 700's I true now. When you open the bolt bore raceway to to .705 and the bolts are .7025 to .703. It keeps everything tight and running straitght and true. Works like the bolt sleeving that I used to do.

I sort of like having a two piece bolt and having the bolt timed to the action properly and the handle welded on.

IMG_8472.jpg

Good Luck and hope it helps,

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

before you decide if a ptg is <span style="font-style: italic">worth</span> it, i'll ask again, what is your factory bolt not doing that you feel it should be doing.

just bought one - i am going to true an action and bolt - figured it might be smoother riding, tighter locked and i get a nice bolt knob. Ill let you guys know what i think.

Jamie D's doing a build for me right now. Was at his place a week ago and got to see the PTG bolt first-hand. The Ionbonded PTG bolt is awesome. Tolerances are held so tight, but it runs so smooth it's crazy. He's putting one in my build now too. Can't wait til it's done to try it out.

I am still waiting on an answer for 300sniper's question.

I am doing one in my build because the bolt fit in the raceway is sloppy. I wanted a tight fit, and my stock bolt was sloppy all over the place. I also wanted an AR style extractor and a one piece bolt housing. I wanted a better bolt handle without worrying if the stock bolt knob was going to have cavities that would fatigue after machining. I am not fluting mine. I am not saying I don't like fluting, because I think it looks great. However, I am only putting out money on upgrades that are needed, not just because they are "pretty".

So, that is why I am going with a PTG bolt. That, and Chad D. recommended it for my build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">before you decide if a ptg is <span style="font-style: italic">worth</span> it, i'll ask again, what is your factory bolt not doing that you feel it should be doing. </div></div>

Im not saying the PTG will do something my factory bolt doesnt do, im just hoping it does everything it does.. better.

It's not really what the factory bolt is not doing. They work fine and will shoot great. But if you are machining to true the factory action and bolt, removing material, it will result in loosing some caming/extracting power as the bolt will sit more reward in the extraction process. That and if you are truing the action, if you want to tighten the bolt body up in the raceway (remove some of the slop) you either have to sleeve the bolt or replace it. Sleeving is a Benchrest technique that works really well, but the PTG bolt will do the same thing while giving the customer more choices and a better finished product (no sleeve bumps).

One of the things I like is that the timing and extraction is set up perfect after all the machining, I like the two piece bolt for this reason and the handles are welded on making them super strong. You have some choices of extractors, choices of flutes and you have a ground true bolt that is square on all surfaces.

I never base anything on what is easier or cheaper. I look at what is going to be better for the customer. I would rather sleeve a bolt than not - it is just time invested. But I think it is an added value to the customers rifle with some side benifits to just replace it with a PTG even though it costs me a lot more money and lost time waiting for the parts.

Hope it helps, just my personal opinion.

JamieD

when someone asks if something is "worth it", to me that makes me think they don't have money to blow. they need to ask themselves how much improvement they are going to get per dollar spent.

fluted bolts are not going to improve anything. the remington extractor works just fine and is in the proper location. the clearance between the bolt body and receiver hasn't shown to be a problem in a tactical rifle. the remington bolt body can have a handle attached for proper extraction after truing, the same way a ptg can.

Without a doubt agree, But... there are some advantages using the PTG bolt if someone wants some impovements in bolt slop and some options if they have the extra money spend. Just like sleeving, it is not for everyone, but don't short sell accuracy becouse you think in order to make it field worthy it shouldn't be tightend up. I've ran a sleeved bolt for years and never lost a match becouse it was too tight - but I did take first in the last three out of four comps I shot in. Accuracy first - learning how to make them run when they are kept tight is not hard, just time consuming.

My match .260 that was sleeved is being changed to a PTG bolt this winter.

Again, personal opinion and differances in what we are looking to get out of them.

JamieD