• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing PTG bottom metal- going from standard metal to detachable mag style

ugotbit

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2014
NY
Guys-

Figured this would be the best place to ask. I'm now to precision rifles and I'm gathering parts for my first build. I purchased a used McM A5 and the previous owner said it was set up for the standard BDL non-DBM Pacific Tool & Gauge bottom metal. I'm interested in switching to a DBM style bottom metal, and was wondering what needs to be done to swap over to that style. Is it as simple as just opening up the inlet? Or will the stock need to be re-pillar bedded and reworked?

If it's more trouble than it's worth I will just get the standard bottom metal and get shooting!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I guess it depends what action you are building on as the rem 700 style actions have a few more options than savages or winchesters.. I bought bottom metal for my 223 rem 700 build with the knowledge that my stock would need to be inletted for that DBM. What I ran across afterwards is that there is actually DBM bottom metal that fits a BDL inlet (I assume this is what the guy was implying is on there). I don't remember if it was accurate, CDI, or PTG as I use all three.

Pictures of the bottom of the stock would help to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

It's for a 700 S/A, sorry.

I actually don't have the stock yet, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so when it gets here I can put it together.

I was hoping the PTG standard (BDL) had a similar footprint to their DBM and it would be relatively easy to make the change.

So would their BDL be the same dimensions as the stock metal?

Best thing to do would probably be to give PTG a call and see what they have to say.

Last edited:
Yes if you buy a Remington 700 BDL, SPS, etc that has the hinged floor plate in it then any stock you buy that says inletted for factory bottom metal or BDL inletting is going to be a plug and play with the hinged floor plate off from your factory rifle.

So say you buy a Remington 700 SPS varmint in 308. Then you buy a bell & Carlson A2 stock to replace the cheap plastic one that comes on the SPS varmint. The bottom metal that is on the SPS varmint will transfer right over into the B&C. So now if you decide that you want to use detachable magazines in the same B&C stock without having to have it inletted, then you would want to buy one that says it will drop into a BDL inlet.

It might have to use the AIAE mags instead of standard AICS mags. The AE mags have a skinnier body to fit in the factory inletting. At least this is what I saw with my Winchester 70. They make one similar to the winchester one for a "stealth" Remington Bolt but I can't figure out what they mean by that as I ran across it when I was looking for one for my winny stealth. But as you stated, I would just call PTG or CDI.

On a side note for CDI. you pay a little more but they have absolutely AWESOME customer service. I had the wrong length bottom metal for my gun that I had bought from someone else (yes, I wasn't even the original purchaser) and they allowed me to return it with a few dings and after I had opened up one of the action screw holes a bit. They told me "go ahead and ship it back to us. If we can re-use it, great. If not then we will scrap it. Either way, your proper bottom metal is now on its way." They even covered shipping.

That right there says something huge to me about a company. That being said, PTG has been good to me as well.

I had a big box store ADL SPS varmint with no bottom metal...

I bought the PTG M5 Stealth and the bell and carlson A2, which I had inletted to the badger ord m5...

There was a little slop in the recoil lug of the B&C stock... I saw just how lil contact was happening with the shiny alum two lil streaks on the metal frame of the stock(indicates the action contact points and movement there).... ALOT of reading.. some devcon... then testing some berger handloads... it works great and once bedded is sub.400 moa... I'll take it!!!

Already been stated, but Marty at Badger gives excellent service. I have sent 2 stocks with $75 check and had the back in 2 weeks each time. The $75 covers shipping to the 48. As a note, there was absolutely zero chipping of the finish. Looked factory.