• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG Howa DBM

MWDG3

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2006
Owasso, OK
Pacific Tool Howa DBM for AICS mags.

The CDI DBM requires machining the lower feed ramp. PTG moved the magazine aft requiring the internal box mag stop(tab) to be removed and likely the bolt stop shortened.
HowaPTG1_zps2ab0d6e8.jpg

Required a little fitting likely due to me bedding the factory bottom metal. Needs rebedding for a sleeker fit.
HowaPTG2_zps01028044.jpg

I marked the tab on the back of the magwell silver. This can possibly be machined as a mag stop to prevent the magazine from being pushed into the bolt whilst resting the mag on your palm/rest. Hopefully prevents dragging the bolt with those beautisimis Kampfeld spiral flutes grinding the case on deck or feed lips. I'll happily back away from the die grinder for this job. Fortunately I have access to numerous machinists to finish it. If this works out I'd call it a rarely positive unintended consequence. Also since the box mag is double stack/feed Ima see if it will feed an AW mag. Only problem is my beloved melonite will be broken. Can't double melonite steel, so I'm told.
HowaPTG3_zpse0ae3496.jpg

Midway is where I ordered mine. CDI has a more robust attachment. Their DBM is a wider profile.

Well I can answer my own question - AW mags dont feed.

I installed the PTG bottom metal in my 300wsm Vanguard last night. Some minor dremelling on the stock, and 5min in the mill to remove the tab as shown in the OP, and we were good to go.

Feeds great. Gonna hit it with some cerakote tonight and Ill slap a pic up.

DBM installed on the Weatherby. Running 7-round Alpha Type 3 mags.

I do have a minor problem with the mag feed lips catching on the bolts flutes when cycling empty with upwards pressure on the mag, but I'll get it sorted. Runs fine with a loaded mag though.

All ready for the hunt over Easter!

mfin.jpg

Used the PTG DBM on this Howa build in a McM A5, and have two more to do in B&C #2298 stocks. I should've left a mag stop shelf when I made the cut with the mill - didn't think about it to be honest. The inletting in both McM & B&C stocks was minimal - took only 15 minutes or so to get a good fit.

Only thing that bothers me is that the trigger shoe on the newer HACT triggers doesn't protrude down into the TG as far as I'd like. Not much I can do about it with either stock, as the magazine fit is basically perfect with the DBM flush with the bottoms of both McM & B&C stocks. Don't know whether you can see that in the photo or not, but it's even more noticeable in the B&C stocks.

Rifle is a 260 Imp 30*, 26" Krieger 1-8 in sendero contour, with Harrell's 4-port tactical brake, EGW 20 MOA sloped rail, Sightron SIII 6-24x50 in TPS TSR rings. Metal is sniper gray CeraKote.

Attachments

• DSC_0871.JPG
    DSC_0871.JPG
    781.4 KB · Views: 32
Nice looking rifles guys. AW mags are double feed just like the internal box mag. If the action will feed double from a BDL style internal mag, the AW should work too. The machinist that modified the back stop nailed it perfect. BUT ended up screwing up something else. So now I'm in the process to fixing it. The internal box mag feed lips on each side of the action have to be partially removed to allow the AW to sit high enough for the bolt to strip rounds. BUT those feed lips are also bolt lug guide rails so they cannot be completely removed.

Also the AW follower is a bolt hold open on empty. It can be set up to strip rounds without hitting the follower on empty so single feeding is possible. AI wasn't concerned with single feeding their rifles. Here is my BAT 3LL recently modified to run AW mags. Single feeding BAT repeaters with the square breech will always be problematic due to no bolt nose counter bore. But set up for AICS, single feeding the BAT was impossible.

BAT AW - YouTube

Last edited: