• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG M5 DBM: .223 vs. .308

rjacobs

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 10, 2013
    I am building a low cost 300BLK Rem 700.

I want to run DBM. I believe I am going with a cheap Boyds Tacticool stock that is already inlet for the M5 DBM(I know it will probably need a little work, but to have the basic inlet already cut is a huge +).

I believe I have decided on the PTG M5 style DBM after reading a ton of reviews. I know its inexpensive, but for this gun it will be fine since its not going to be a hard use gun.

I read a few posts that said there is a different version(different mag well basically?) for .223 vs. .308.

I can find ZERO information on this being the case on the PTG website and most posts mention nothing about it.

I called PTG and never got a call back from the guy that could answer my question(the very nice lady on the phone left him a note to call me).

I would like to order this this weekend so I can run over to Midway USA on Monday and pick it and the stock and other misc parts up.

So is there any difference between the bottom metal if I am going to run .223(300BLK) vs. 308? I am going to run the 10 round AI mags which say they are a newer design and you can load to 2.55 OAL if that makes any difference.

Same bottom metal, different magazines

I knew different mags, but was stuck after reading a few threads that said there was a specific cut for the .223 vs. the .308. I think i only read like 2 threads that said that and never found a mention of it anywhere else. My thinking was short action is short action is short action and its just the mag difference.

Now where is my credit card!

The feed lips of the plastic 223 AICS mags are bicker than the metal 308 counterparts. This is a non issue with a remmy, but some actions such as a tikka require either the feed lips on the 223 mag to be narrowed or the action opened up if using the 223 mags. Regardless, the bottom metal is the same

Thanks again. Ordered it all and I'll be picking it all up from midway on Monday. The mag is coming from triad.

yea its the same. i called them with the same question because i had some BM i got off of ebay and i had to put a longer latch in it to get the 223 mag high enough to feed. then a 308 mag would not latch. but the ptg it will latch and feed on both 308 and 223 mags in the same metal same latch.