• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing PTG one piece bolt question

Red Belly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
MA
I just received my one piece bolt from PT&G. Absolutely beautiful. However I was installing the firing pin assembly & I noticed that the flat where the firing pin assembly and the bolt meet (9 o'clock if looking from the rear) don't match up evenly. I didn't know if this was normal since my other Remington bolts all match up. This is my first PT&G bolt. Here is a pic.

PTGbolt.jpg

Re: PTG one piece bolt question

I just got mine yesterday too and it is the same as yours. It doesnt matter because that part of the bolt doesnt do anything. if it stuck down below the shroud then there would be a problem.

That is what I figured. It fits in the action no problem. Since it was different from my other Remington bolts I was concerned. Thanks for the info.

How did you install the extractor stuff? do you have to buy separate parts for that?

how about taking the firing pin assembly on/off? I've never taken that apart

I didn't install extractor or ejector parts. As far as the firing pin assembly it came assembled & I just used my tools from Sinclair. They are great.

All the parts I ordered from PT & G. They were great & walked me through the entire order process.

That is normal, the timing is not adjustable on these so this relief is cut in the handle so that there is clearance on any Rem 700 that it drops into.

Check that it works cleanly, doesn't drag on anything when firing or cocking, and just run it.

Would that cause any problems with scope clearance if you were already close? Doesn't that surface stop the upward motion of the bolt before the lugs enter the reaceways?

Man I really wish I had some extra cash for one of these, but there are other areas I need to concentrate on like action and the new barrel

If you already have an action, this is great upgrade. If you don't already have an action them save up and go custom. It will be cheaper actually. Believe me, I ran all the numbers......more than once.

How can these bolts be a one size fits all, and still have the extraction surfaces correct,and still have the correct timing? exspecially on a trued action?

I was told by PTG that the bolt was not a drop in. It is a full build. I just have to figure out what stock I am going to use & then it will be off to the smith for the "full Monty".