• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ptr-91 what ammo ?

Ammo dog 2311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
New york
What ammo are you shooting with yours ? What kind of groups are you getting ? Also does your brass get a large dent in the casing, my flute marks are deep but I get a large dent in the middle of the brass.

Re: Ptr-91 what ammo ?

You shouldn't be getting deep flute marks on the brass, you should probably check your headspace. The dent in the middle of the brass is normal on HKs, it happens during ejection when the casing hits the back of the ejection port with a lot of force, you can prevent this by getting a port buffer.

HKs will eat pretty much any ammo, they do do better with some ammo types than others and you'll need to find what yours likes to eat. Most of them like 168gr NATO stuff.

I have an "A#####" JLD version just changed to american eagle 175 for m1a. Geting just under 1" (1 moa) at 100 yd 5 shots. Ordered several moreboxes. Waiti.g to receive southwest 168 & 175.

If you have a 12 flute chamber and shoot commercial ammo, your brass will have deep grooves in it, if you have the newer 18 flute chamber that will solve the problem with the commercial stuff. the large dent on the other hand, there isn't much you can do about. try to find any kind of milsurp ammo, the LC is rare, there is still a little south African around but the best is the Australian stuff, it was the most accurate in my and several buddies PTR's.
good luck.

Mine is a aw 85xx. Have to find a casing to check the flute qty. the flute impressions are consistent and deep. Hate the fouling it's amazing how dirty this system is. My problem is, I can get two rounds touching then it throws one off to the left or right.

I thought it was me so I grabbed the model 12 f/tr and put 20rds into 1" group, so it's not me. It tricks me into thinking its a true shooter but then throws one or two off. Do you think it's because it's heating up and the band is not ? I don't think you can call this a free floating barrel system.

I have not had any FTF in a while and had none today but only fired 40rds, Winchester 180- hornady 168. I am goin to try 150's next. I have never tried mil. Ammo. Anyone ever shoot tracers, API or corrosive stuff through there's ?