• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ptr rifles?

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
I'm seeing these on gunbroker, what's the general thought on these. I'm just looking for a reliable semi-auto to go to the range with my dpms and armalite. Thanks.

Re: ptr rifles?

I have heard that they are made better than the H&K originals. You "hear" alot of things, so please don't quote me on this, as I have no expirience in shooting one. I am just going on average reports have seen.

I had one of the earlier models. It was a great rifle. They are made as good as the hk91's. I don't know if I would say they are better or not.

They really are a well made rifle. They will eat anything and just keep chugging along. Very reliable. very resistant to environmental concerns (you don't have to keep them super clean to function well like a stoner type).

with surplus ammo it would pull around 1.5 to 2 MOA (pretty good for surplus stuff). With match ammo it would flirt with 1 MOA. The only thing bad I can say is that it absolutly distroyed brass.

thanks for the info. I hated to jump out there and buy something before asking around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one of the earlier models. It was a great rifle. They are made as good as the hk91's. I don't know if I would say they are better or not.

They really are a well made rifle. They will eat anything and just keep chugging along. Very reliable. very resistant to environmental concerns (you don't have to keep them super clean to function well like a stoner type).

with surplus ammo it would pull around 1.5 to 2 MOA (pretty good for surplus stuff). With match ammo it would flirt with 1 MOA. The only thing bad I can say is that it absolutly distroyed brass. </div></div>
+1 had one kills all brass not good for the wallet.

I have the PTR91K. It is as well made as the originals, and is very reliable; however, if you reload beware, the design of the HK's will chew up your brass. Since it is a blow back design, it also has a greater recoil than a gas operated system. If you do not care about recovering brass, and are OK with the recoil, it is a fine rifle.

I'm at 4 reloads on my current batch of brass fired from G3s, and there's not really much wrong with it. The G3 isn't exactly "kind" to brass, but assuming you can find it in the bushes 40 yards away, there's no reason it can't be reloaded. Sure, the side of the case gets dented, and the extractor kind of tears the rim a bit when the brass smashes into the ejector, and maybe the case mouth gets a little ding in it, but it's not like it can't be reloaded.

All too often, you'll hear people online saying things like "the chamber flutes destroy the brass", which is just false. Also, I'm currently using Remington brass, which all the online gurus will tell you is too soft for G3s. Based on the current condition of my brass, I have no reason to believe these won't last another 3 or 4 firings, but I'll probably toss them then.

A port buffer is supposed to make a big difference in the brass distuction also. I do know a few guys that reload it successfully. My theory was that I was shooting surplus ammo anyway and I reload for precision, so it was not a big deal to me.

It may be different now, but a few years ago it was as cheap to buy surplus as it was to reload it, so...

To pickpick's question, I haven't owned, but I have shot the PTR rifles. Here's my skinny on the original "I'm just looking for a reliable semi-auto to go to the range with my dpms and armalite" question:

I always wanted an HK91, and after consideration of price, intended use and all that I just bought a Cetme (HK91's grandpa), got it running 100%, had Bill Springfield do his stuff to the trigger group and dressed it in HK clothes. Is it a 91, no. Is it a great running, hard hitting battle rifle that can easily engage targets out to 500m, yes.

The PTR91 is a nice in-between from my move and the real thing. Many will tell you that the PTR's barrels are better than original 91's, and they may be right. Having shot all three I'm glad I went the route I did. The design is a great 762 main battle rifle, and if taken for what it is I really like them.

None of them are PSG1/MSG90's though and one would be foolish to think they are capable of the same results.