• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes PTR91(HKg3 clone) Optics Recomendations

StoopidSlow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
Phoenix, Az
Hey all, browsing the site for a bit now, and although i didn't anticipate buying a american made german gas rifle clone for my first rifle, re. PTR 91(i always figured i'd be a rem 700) i came across one for a price that most wouldn't believe.

The previous owner was very generous and even included the scope that was on the rifle, a <span style="font-style: italic">Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T (30mm) M2 Matte Illuminated SPR Rifle Scope</span> which retails for close to the price of the weapon.

Now i've been in the corps awhile now and have shot plenty of assult rifles, and thats a good and dandy, but i'm over it. I want to use this weapon to reach out as far as its able to...in more of a PSG1 fashion.

I know where to head as far as trigger upgrades, compensatos, etc etc, but 5x optics just isn't going to cut it.

Sorry, enough talking, two main questions; Not that i can prove it, but considering the scope is almost new, and in very good condition, is it of any value for trade of sale? And secondly what optics setup will match the weapon well in the sub 700-800 range? I'd love to be able to get that much for the Leupold glass on it but im assuming i won't and have to trow in some cash.

thanks for reading sorry for the book.

-ss

Re: PTR91(HKg3 clone) Optics Recomendations

Ive owned a HK91 for the best part of thirty years and in my experience it is an excellent battle rifle but it is not a precision rifle and turning it into one is an expensive proposition. What are you wanting to hit at 700-800 yards? Have you tried it at that range with the scope you have? You may surprise your self. What mount and rings are you using? I hope I don't sound preachy here it is just that I been where your going and its a great rifle but you have challenges in getting where it sounds like you want it to be. Are you thinking DMR or more precision type shooting?

Haha i've been doing some research the past few weeks and it's results have been right on track with what your saying. A DMR role is what i would like. Im not looking for sub MOA groups even at 100 yards (like you said battle rifle). I just want to be on target/on paper out to 600-800 because, the fact of the matter is, if that round hits you even at that range, provided its somewhat center-mass, your frikin going down. I'm a practical shooter, not a match shooter. just need to be able to get those zombies....

Having said that--No i havent shot the scope (i will probably this weekend), but the previous owner is a friend, and we shot some other rifles this weekend past and he had a nice 16x Leupold on his M1a and even at only 200 yards i knew that was more like what i would want.

I would just use it as-is.

edit: It already is a DMR-type rifle. As far as accuracy goes I bet you get 1.5" groups with halfway decent ammunition.

Unless you have money to burn or really, really love the rifle I wouldn't invest in it. While there are aftermarket parts out there as well as smiths who can do trigger jobs and barrel jobs there are much cheaper avenues to accuracy with other rifles.

I too love the 91 platform. I had a crazy big Nightforce on mine for a while but it was a big waste of glass. I put a Meopta 1.5-6x which is about perfect. don't forget these used 4x fixed Hensoldt scopes except the PSG1 which is awesome but 10K or so. don't go over 10x in my opinion. the Super sniper 10x is awesome. Warne high QD rings clear the rear sight by the way.

Ah i was wondering about that, the previous owner gave me the rear sight in a bag, the glass didn't clear with the rings it has on it.

I have a PTR91 and I have a Kahles Multizero 3x12 52mm objective, 1 inch diameter scope on it. It can reach out and touch someone. I paid $699 at CDNN when they had them. I had to put high Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings on it to allow the scope eyepiece to clear the rear sight. Removing the rear sight was a non-starter for me. I want to keep it intact. I have good cheek weld.

Not to change the subject but I also have a FAL that is very accurate that we hand built and I am mounting a Hensoldt 4x16 56mm FFP scope on it. The scope is due in next Monday. I like battle rifles and they are fun rifles to upgrade. I am doing other upgrades to the FAL like adding a precision stock and few other things to improve it. I am going to use Badger Ordnance rings on it and I hope the extra high ones I have will clear the rear sight.

If your PTR91 was anything like the SR9 i had - i liked my msg90 stock upgrade, psg-1 trigger group to help out. But also, i had to make sure that my scope length was no more than 12.25 inches long (or something like that) since i had the HK claw mount with integral 30mm rings, otherwise the charging handle got in the way.
So i got, and still have, my leupold mk4 4.5-14x50 even though i have since parted with the gun. If you have a regular rail, i suppose this is a non-issue.

The PTR-91 rifles are excellent battle rifle clones and the best of the HK clone rifles in my experience. The ones I have shot have been extremely reliable with a wide range of ammunition and usually capable of sub-2MOA accuracy with decent ammo/shooter (NOT foreign mil surplus, etc.). With a good trigger job (Williams or Springfield) and optics, they are capable of slightly better than that. Ringing steel at extended ranges (again...with a decent optic and shooter), is well within reason.

As for optics...the length of the scope, combined with the size of the bell is the biggest difficulty in mounting a scope to any HK91/G3 type clone rifle, including your PTR-91. Like others have said, the longer the scope, and larger the bell, the more difficult it can make proper operation of the cocking lever. The total length of the scope that you can get away with will depend on things like eye relief, how far forward you have to mount the scope, etc., but I generally tell people that 13" or less is the best way to go. If you stick with a smaller bell on the scope, you can go as long as you like...just realize that the typical HK "slap" of the cocking lever is not going to work and you'll have to maneuver around the scope somewhat to charge the rifle, etc.

As for shooting at extended ranges and a suitable optic...it all comes down to what you personally think you'll need in terms of magnification. I can tell you that I have an MSG-90 clone setup with an old Mk4 M3 3.5-10x40 that works very well on steel out to 800yds. 10x to me was sufficient magnification, but again...it all depends on what size targets you are shooting at, etc. The other scopes I'd consider looking at that will work well on your PTR-91 would be (and regardless of budget):

Nightforce 2.5-10x32

SWFA SS 3-9x42 (as well as the fixed 10x and 16x models...esp. the fixed 16x since you liked the Mk4 16x you used)

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42

There are plenty of other, highly suitable scopes out there depending on your overall budget, etc., but that's a start anyway.

Your current scope (the Mk4 MR/T 1.5-5x) is worth something to someone. They generally fetch around $850 or so new in box. Take a search through the for sale ads here on the forum and see what you can find in terms of similar scopes that have sold in recent months. Also, depending on the scope's condition, whether any accessories, box, etc. are included, you can always hit up SWFA about a possible trade-in toward a different scope that meets your requirements.

Try what you have. If you think you need more magnification I'd suggest the SWFA SS 3-9X42. I use them on my M1A NM and LMT MWS. I tried more magnification on these rifles and found that the parallax adjustment slowed me down and was not needed. I also like the 3X for close range and the reticle design. These scope are very high quality and if the Hide discount is still in place the are a bargin at $540.00. It is all the glass you need at the ranges you are talking about. The only change I'd make to the rifle is a trigger job.
The rifles I mentioned are in the first photo. The scond photo is the M1A with that scope and a 500 yard target.
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

i'm giving serious consideration to selling my ptr91. i used a 4x hensoldt on mine for a long time, now i have the arms QD mount and a 3-9 zeiss. I've built up the cheek piece with, of all things pipe insulation and tape. was going to get a new stock, but not sure i like it all that much, it's a bitch to strip, to me anyway

The best clones of the HK-91 I've ever seen are the Springfield SAR-3/8 series (Greek)

I used either a B&T or MFI Picatinny mount, Lupy 3.5-10x40 M2 series and ADM Recon S-30 mount. Works like a champ.

I like 10x or under and max 42mm bells on my "battle rifle" scopes...

Scott

Thanks for the help guys, looks like i asked the right folks. ORD you were especially informative, thanks!