• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

-Nick-

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2011
<span style="font-size: 11pt">In an effort to get more local shooting events and gatherings I decided to start a local thread for The Puget Sound and surrounding areas. Our ranges are limited but there are many of us with our own shooting areas that I'm sure could come together without driving the 4 hours over to Eastern Washington, lol. There's also an abundance of Military coming and going between Lewis-McChord, Bangor, PSNS, Whidbey, and Everett that could use recommendations, resources, and information on the area. Hopefully we can grow our local shooting community starting here and welcome newcomers whether for a short term or permanent transition here to the Puget Sound Area. Please feel free to post up and Welcome!

- Nick

Last edited:
Re: Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Broker,
Thanks for starting this up. Any assistance with some local distance would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to shoot me a pm or email if you know of any good spots on this side of the mountains.

I'm working on finding us some good areas with ranges between 600-1000. Unknown and I took the opportunity to go up to Bigwheel's spot North of Acme, WA and go out to 1250 which was AWESOME. I'm hoping with a lot of scouting and some networking here we can get the resources and information sharing to get some good locations without having to go over the mountains. I know that Unknown has also been working with the Upper Nisqually Gun Club on trying to hold Practical Rifle Matches.

Just before the holidays, I sent a proposal to the Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club asking the board of directors to consider allowing me to start up a practical rifle group there. They have a 550 yard range that would be great for some mid range practical rifle matches. The board discussed the proposal, and I'm waiting for contact back from one of the board members to provide any further information or clarification they may want.

There was a death in the family for one of the people who was going to contact me, and the secretary said that she will bring it up again at the next board meeting. If any of you are members there, you might ask one of the board members about the proposal, and let them know you are interested.

In essence, my proposal saves the board money because people who want to shoot in the match would each provide 3 pieces of steel to be shot on. They would retain the ownership of the steel, but that way, for each participant, we would get steel, or a timer to use. This would save the club lots of coin until we can build up some funds from match fees.

I don't know if i qualify for the Puget Sound area, but I'm here. Just got my trigger back for my DPMS, & am hoping to try it out this weekend. Not looking too good so far tho. Supposed to be raining. Oh well thats Washington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if i qualify for the Puget Sound area, but I'm here. Just got my trigger back for my DPMS, & am hoping to try it out this weekend. Not looking too good so far tho. Supposed to be raining. Oh well thats Washington. </div></div>

Anacortes is the entrance to the Puget Sound area as far as I'm concerned and you're always welcome BW!

Good idea for a thread. I was shooting at krrc before the shutdown. I want to check out the poulsbo club, I commute from belfair to Kingston so it's kinda on the way. I found 800+ yard clearcut yesterday hiking behind my house, I'm gonna do some more scouting of the surrounding area before a haul some steel out there.

-Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unincsmr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good idea for a thread. I was shooting at krrc before the shutdown. I want to check out the poulsbo club, I commute from belfair to Kingston so it's kinda on the way. I found 800+ yard clearcut yesterday hiking behind my house, I'm gonna do some more scouting of the surrounding area before a haul some steel out there.

-Kelly </div></div>

800 yards behind your house? Lucky bastard... lmao... If I had anywhere behind my house to shoot I'd never get any work done...

There are quite a few area's in my area. All on State Forest ground, but ranges out to 1500 are pretty easy to get to. It strictly field conditions, and not sure one could have an established "match", but the distance is there. Lots of places around in East Grays Harbor and Mason County.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are quite a few area's in my area. All on State Forest ground, but ranges out to 1500 are pretty easy to get to. It strictly field conditions, and not sure one could have an established "match", but the mdistance is there. Lots of places around in East Grays Harbor and Mason County. </div></div>

Right now it would just be great to have some place to even practice at distance for matches that I don't have to drive 3 1/2 hours one way to get there.
I still need to confirm my load at distance for the Findlay Cup since getting my barrel threaded by a fantastic smith....Thanks Travis
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are quite a few area's in my area. All on State Forest ground, but ranges out to 1500 are pretty easy to get to. It strictly field conditions, and not sure one could have an established "match", but the distance is there. Lots of places around in East Grays Harbor and Mason County. </div></div>

On the Kitsap Peninsula side of Mason or the other side of the Hood Canal? Either way would you mind posting up some coordinates some time for us?

Nick

Around Shelton, Belfair, lots of logging roads a guy can find shooting areas. Shelton/Matlock area has tons of it. Hit a logging road and start driving for the most part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just need to find a 12 acre plot of land that's only 100' wide to buy (1500 meters long). Then I can just setup a range for us
smile.gif

--Wintermute </div></div>

I'm in Real Estate and I'll say if only it were that easy lol... I'll gladly sell you a 12 acre parcel though
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just need to find a 12 acre plot of land that's only 100' wide to buy (1500 meters long). Then I can just setup a range for us
smile.gif

I'm in Real Estate and I'll say if only it were that easy lol... I'll gladly sell you a 12 acre parcel though
wink.gif
</div></div>

See if you can find a 1500 meter long acreage block somewhere in W WA for around $250k and I'll see what I can do in putting a range together
laugh.gif

--Wintermute

several years ago I went pheasant hunting on a release site 15 min (roughly) past Allen between Belfair and Shelton. The spot has a blue gate and it had been logged the year before. It had easily 1000yds+ and nice logging roads to go around the opened areas to set up targets and picking them up. It would be a perfect spot to hunt shoot at since there is lots of natural backstop and very little elevation.
hope this helps.

I know where that pheasant release spot is... I didn't know if it was ok to just set up and shoot. That's only a few minutes down the road from me. If anyone is interested, I've got several 6" plates and a 12" plate, but would have to put together a frame or some sort of mounting situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bottomgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know where that pheasant release spot is... I didn't know if it was ok to just set up and shoot. That's only a few minutes down the road from me. If anyone is interested, I've got several 6" plates and a 12" plate, but would have to put together a frame or some sort of mounting situation. </div></div>

I wanted to throw this out there (this isn't just for bottomgun...but his post brougth it up). If any of you need frames to hold plates, etc... let me know. I weld as well and have a pretty thoroughly stocked metalshop. If it's something that is going to be useful for forum members up here in WA, I could fabricate some steel plate holding stands, etc... for a get together and shoot.

--Wintermute

Beware of some of those clear cuts past allyn on hwy 3, there are some active logging sites going on right now.

I used to live up in Lakeland Village, but I don't know what area you're discussing. I'd definately like to drive out and see it...

unincsmr- I'm in Belfair, just down old belfair hwy. Thank you for the heads-up on the active sites.
winter- I appreciate the offer and will shoot you a pm this weekend.

I really enjoy the shoots in Eastern WA but I'd love to get some shooting in on this side of the state. Bigwheels' area is only ~70ish minutes away from me so that's not too bad but I'd be down for other places too if we can get something together here.

I'm going to TSI's match in April, so I definitely want to get some trigger time in at random distances and positions out to 1K+ again. I'm thinking maybe March 17th or the 24th we could get a group together and either head up to Acme if BW will have us or even someplace locally if you gentlemen in Mason County have a good spot we could all meet up at. Who's available and who's not and on what days?

Nick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just need to find a 12 acre plot of land that's only 100' wide to buy (1500 meters long). Then I can just setup a range for us
smile.gif

wink.gif
</div></div>

See if you can find a 1500 meter long acreage block somewhere in W WA for around $250k and I'll see what I can do in putting a range together
laugh.gif

Don't tease me lol...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to TSI's match in April, so I definitely want to get some trigger time in at random distances and positions out to 1K+ again. I'm thinking maybe March 17th or the 24th we could get a group together and either head up to Acme if BW will have us or even someplace locally if you gentlemen in Mason County have a good spot we could all meet up at. Who's available and who's not and on what days?

Nick
</div></div>

I vote for Acme! I'd be available pretty much any weekend.

Good idea on this thread. I'm joining the Paul Bunyan shooting club but anything for long range out in the woods would be even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just need to find a 12 acre plot of land that's only 100' wide to buy (1500 meters long). Then I can just setup a range for us
smile.gif

wink.gif
</div></div>

laugh.gif

Don't tease me lol... </div></div>

Not a tease
smile.gif
. My family has been looking at buying some acreage in WA since we now have more family members living up here. We were planning to find something in the 20 acre range far enough out to setup a cabin and have a place for the family to go camp/hunt/shoot/etc... Would also like a stream for fresh water on it as well. I'd have to figure out what we're going to do with the 55,000 acres in NE Canada since my grandfather isn't going to be around much longer to maintain it. It's possible that we'd re-focus to buying land here.

--Wintermute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not a tease
smile.gif
. My family has been looking at buying some acreage in WA since we now have more family members living up here. We were planning to find something in the 20 acre range far enough out to setup a cabin and have a place for the family to go camp/hunt/shoot/etc... Would also like a stream for fresh water on it as well. I'd have to figure out what we're going to do with the 55,000 acres in NE Canada since my grandfather isn't going to be around much longer to maintain it. It's possible that we'd re-focus to buying land here.

I'll send you an email later today. One of the guys in my office is who I consider to be the top Vacant Land Expert in the State. He sells land for Weyerhauser as well. There's a TON of vacant land to be had on the cheap with the slowing of developments and land sitting for 2-3 years on market. What area's are you interested in mostly?

Weather permitting, I'm going to try to get out and scout that pheasant release spot this weekend.

Bottomgun, are you talking about the site a few miles out of allyn on the left side of the road( heading south) between hwy 3 and grapview loop road?

March 17th would be better for the guys that will be at Findlay on the 24th.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unincsmr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bottomgun, are you talking about the site a few miles out of allyn on the left side of the road( heading south) between hwy 3 a.nd grapview loop road? </div></div>
Yes. About 3 miles south of Allyn. Have you already checked it out?

I've been google mapping and scouting for sites on this side of the cascades but haven't found anything yet. BWs spots sound great but they're fogged in today. : (

Count me in for something whenever. Not Findlay w'end though. : ) I need to shoot both days next w'end, I just found out yesterday that I'm in and I feel extremely unprepared. : )

7mmAM,
I'm in Gig Harbor. If we could get a few fellows that have a bit of steel together, maybe we could start some informal matches in the Belfair area just to get some practice.

If you want to contact me, I'll be happy to help set something up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unincsmr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bottomgun, are you talking about the site a few miles out of allyn on the left side of the road( heading south) between hwy 3 and grapview loop road? </div></div>

If you wouldn't mind some company shooting up there some time, please let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mmAM,
I'm in Gig Harbor. If we could get a few fellows that have a bit of steel together, maybe we could start some informal matches in the Belfair area just to get some practice.

</div></div>
I've got a few plates. Sounds great, just need to find a spot.

Would the spot near grapeview loop road work if just a few of us showed up?

Earlier, some fellows down by Olympia had a spot...

My plans for tomorrow got canceled, so if anyone wants to get together somewhere I'm game.

Broker,
If you know where this place on Grapevine loop road is, maybe we could head up there...You have my number and can call me if this will work out. I think my boss (wife) just might let me get out for some shooting..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mmAM,

</div></div>

I've got 6 or so silhouette plates, a half dozen circles, and a dozen knock-over gophers.

This is the site off hwy 3 south of Allyn, you can get out to 600 yards. This is one of stomping grounds.
grapeview.jpg

It's owned by the Green Diamond Resource Company. 514.42 acres. As long as there aren't any trespassing signs we should be ok. Is the access road open to drive down?

Oh Gentlemen... I didn't realize the large chunk of land across the street from where you're talking about is DNR land called "Sherwood Forest". I see several large area including one that looks almost like a landing strip. The road in overheads is maintained so that means there is access somewhere...

WADNR.jpg

I'll be out there today doing some scouting. I've come across several DNR areas now that have potential out to 1K and it looks like Diamond Resource Co. owns quite a bit of land that also shows on DNR maps, so they likely manage the timber in agreement with DNR for the land which means we should have access.

Broker and I went out to scout today, and if we could get through some of the locked gates, there would great places to shoot. We stopped at one place and did up a range card..our Leica 1200's were only going out to about 600 yards because the brush just isn't very reflective. The one area where we stopped had about another 450 yards after the tree at 530, so it would be a good place to shoot.

I think we would have to shorten the distance at that area though as there was a trail and logging road up there. Without shooting across the logging road or trail, it would be pretty easy to reach out to 400 maybe 500 yards.

Broker is going to check with the state lands people, and another person who does get access for paintball and see how to get through gates, and if we could use the areas.

What is nice is that the area is only about an hour from Tacoma, maybe 45 minutes from Bremerton. If we can get onto some of the other areas he identified on the map, we might be able to reach out to 800-1000 without crossing any trails or roads.

There was one that looks like we could drive the steel out and place it just off the road, then drive back down to the shooting area that is 800-1000 yards away.