• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pull off .260 Barrel for AI AX/AT- what to do?

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I have a .260 barrel for my AI AX. It’s a 24” factory barrel in FDE. I was thinking about having it re-chambered. I don’t have a use for it right now so wanted some opinions on what to do with it? Thought about a short 6.5 PRC if the mag bolt faces come out for the AI short actions.

I have a .260 barrel for my AI AX. It’s a 24” factory barrel in FDE. I was thinking about having it re-chambered. I don’t have a use for it right now so wanted some opinions on what to do with it? Thought about a short 6.5 PRC if the mag bolt faces come out for the AI short actions.
.260 Ackley Improved 40º is a nice upgrade over the standard .260 Rem. I like the .260 Rem, and own one...But I've been considering punching the chamber to .260 AI, because I also love AI cartridges.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
.260 Ackley Improved 40º is a nice upgrade over the standard .260 Rem. I like the .260 Rem, and own one...But I've been considering punching the chamber to .260 AI, because I also love AI cartridges.
I looked into this. Have you ever seen anything about the improved 260 not feeding well?

I looked into this. Have you ever seen anything about the improved 260 not feeding well?
Yeah, that’s a bunch of internet fuddlore bullshit. The fudds claimed that about all the AI cartridges, but it’s complete bunk. I own 3 Ackleys, and never had a problem in almost a decade. 👍🏼

Think about it…. If low wall taper and sharp angled shoulders don’t feed properly, why are the short-mags, PRC’s, and Creedmoor cartridges as popular as they are? 😉

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88

What's the viability of this "mag bolt faces come out for the AI short actions" happening anytime soon? I heard the chatter when the AT-X was released but it seems to have faded.

What's the viability of this "mag bolt faces come out for the AI short actions" happening anytime soon? I heard the chatter when the AT-X was released but it seems to have faded.
I actually spoke to AI North America about it. They exist. Some of the tram shooters have them. MHSA has the barrels in stock. It will happen one day but I would say 1-2 years.