• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pull-off barrel on new action?

Thebee96

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2020
I just ordered a Remington 700 long action with their magnum bolt face and I found a 300 ultra mag barrel for it. I didn't realize it was a pull off barrel till I got the shipment e-mail. It says it's brand new, is this going to be an issue with an action the barrel was not originally on?

I've done a few, is the action and barrel both either stainless or blue ? If different there maybe some variation in timing.The only way to know is to assemble the pieces and verify headspace. Then you will hnow what you need to do.

I've done a few, is the action and barrel both either stainless or blue ? If different there maybe some variation in timing.The only way to know is to assemble the pieces and verify headspace. Then you will hnow what you need to do.
It's got the action labeled as carbon steel and the barrel as stainless. Thanks for the advice

That is very true, and in most cases the barrels are pretty close of course you will still have to verify headspace with gauges. Whay I have found is the chromoly and stainless combination very rarele times correctly.

I have bought a Rem700 in 308, immediately took the barrel off, and sold it. All I wanted was the action. It probably happens a lot.

Reactions: camotoe