• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

pull the bullets or another solution

Doc Holiday13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
LoCo, VA
Before I got my new AR10 barrel, I made up about 1000 rounds of .308 ammo. 500 for me and 500 for ky friends bolt gun. Ammo chambers and fires just fine out of my friends bolt gun, but won't chamber in the new gas gun barrel. Figure I needed a small base die, so I run a few rounds through it(small base body die) and rounds still not chambering. Well come to find out, I needed to bump the shoulder back more. Chamber was cut to absolute min saami spec so the die is now set touching shell holder and the turned in another 1/16 turn so the shellholder is rammed into the die.

So do I need to pull my 500 rounds or can I run these bullets up through the sizer die without the capping pin mandrel installed. If the only safe solution is pulling the bullets ill find someone to buy these off me and start over

Re: pull the bullets or another solution

I think you have already answer your question. The safe thing to do would be to pull them.

Safely? No...

Could you do it? Sure.

Question is would you?

Having potential 60k PSI in my die with myself near it... i don't think so...

Pull them and learn the hard way.

Sux big time but lesson learned.

Get yourself a decent bullet puller die, like the hornady one. It will reduce the work you need to do AND wont be noisy and end up with a broken kinetic hammer and forearm/bicep.