• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pulled Case

lose_money

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
Quick question for the experts. I was hunting yesterday and chambered a round. The bolt was hard to close so I tried to extract it and it wouldnt budge at first. Eventually got it to open and pulled back only the case. The bullet was stuck... Via some advice I read on here I got a brass rod and knocked out the bullet. I never really clean my gun but decided to clean the chamber to see if that fixed the issue. After cleaning the chamber rounds seem to be loading fine. My question is do you guys think everything is all good? I dont shoot the gun that much (maybe 150 rounds) but I hunt a lot (mabye dirt and dust?) so just a little surprised that not cleaning it caused this issue because from what I hear some never clean their rifles. Just a being little cautious after jamming the bullet

Last edited:
Reactions: Jabberjaw
Doubt you have a bore scope to see just how dirty it is for yourself. I’d clean the barrel again just to be sure.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I never really clean my gun
Ah, maybe.....

the-mystery-is-99302f3759.jpg

what I hear some never clean their rifles.
Well, yeah....and some people eat Tide pods because they saw some other imbecile do it on TikTok...so "some people do...x" is kind of a low bar?

• Haha
Reactions: doubloon and CK1.0
Ah, maybe.....

the-mystery-is-99302f3759.jpg

Well, yeah....and some people eat Tide pods because they saw some other imbecile do it on TikTok...so "some people do...x" is kind of a low bar?
Haha yea i get it I just thought it was a pretty normal practice to not clean barrels

Reactions: Baron23
Since the bullet got stuck enough to get pulled out I would suspect there is carbon buildup at the throat. You may have cleaned it enough to get by.

Not cleaning is when it’s a range toy. When you are out hunting. Probably clean your gun after.

Reactions: Gogga
update: So my gun did it again. Proceeded to clean it thoroughly again and it still kinda hard to close and open bolt when round is chambered

update: So my gun did it again. Proceeded to clean it thoroughly again and it still kinda hard to close and open bolt when round is chambered
Have fun, the only thing that cleaned my carbon ring was a bronze brush in the throat and spinning that bitch as much I could over and over. Soaking it in CLR didn't do much. Soaking a bore mop in carb-off and leaving it in the chamber overnight before using the brush helped a lot. Get yourself a cheap borescope so you know if it's actually working or not.

Have fun, the only thing that cleaned my carbon ring was a bronze brush in the throat and spinning that bitch as much I could over and over. Soaking it in CLR didn't do much. Soaking a bore mop in carb-off and leaving it in the chamber overnight before using the brush helped a lot. Get yourself a cheap borescope so you know if it's actually working or not.
So you think it’s a carbon ring in the throat causing it?

Reactions: ShtrRdy
Yup, had the exact same thing happen to me with my 22-250. Pulled a bullet right out of the case and got my action full of gunpowder while hunting. Happened again after I cleaned it too. That's when I stopped messing around and got a borescope.

Yup, had the exact same thing happen to me with my 22-250. Pulled a bullet right out of the case and got my action full of gunpowder while hunting. Happened again after I cleaned it too. That's when I stopped messing around and got a borescope.
Thanks man I think that’s it. I soaked the throat with some clp and it helped a bit but ordered a brass brush and mop and some c4. What camera do you use

Thanks man I think that’s it. I soaked the throat with some clp and it helped a bit but ordered a brass brush and mop and some c4. What camera do you use
Soak that mop in C4 and let it sit. If it’s a work week and you don’t think you will be shooting for a few days, resoak that mop and let sit some more. Then go with your brush.

Teslong is great for what we amateurs use them for. I like the one with the rigid probe. Work well.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice how long would you let it sit at a time? Also when using the brass brush do I just do one pass at a time or is it ok to go back and forth. My rod spins so I won’t be able to spin brush in a stationary postion
Soak that mop in C4 and let it sit. If it’s a work week and you don’t think you will be shooting for a few days, resoak that mop and let sit some more. Then go with your brush.

Teslong is great for what we amateurs use them for. I like the one with the rigid probe. Work well.

Chee

Thanks for the advice how long would you let it sit at a time? Also when using the brass brush do I just do one pass at a time or is it ok to go back and forth. My rod spins so I won’t be able to spin brush in a stationary postion
Is there a hole in the end of the rod? If there is, put something through it and spin it. Or get a different rod. I used a cheap cleaning kit with a rod that came in 3 pieces. Just used the 1 piece since it didn't need to be that long anyway. Might be good to use am oversized brush too. My method was once I felt resistance and knew I was in the throat, I spun it one direction 50 times, the other direction 50 times, then quick strokes back and forth for 30 seconds or so. Then checked with the borescope. Took quite a few tries too. Carbon rings are extremely compressed.

I let it sit overnight…like that. Just keep the mop damp w C4 and sitting across the neck/throat part of your chamber. Since you’ve never cleaned this rifle (if I understood correctly) and it’s pulling bullets out of the necks, then you prob got some hardened carbon in there. The Bore Tech C4 won’t hurt anything if left in place so soak away.

As for bronze brush, I don’t use them. I do use nylon brushes when cleaning the bore overall. But I exit the muzzle before pulling it back or, more often, I take the brush off before pulling the rod out. I should think it would be difficult to reverse the direction of bronze brush bristles while still in the bore.

I do use Rem 40x or JB Bore Compound (blue label…not red label bore polish) on an oversized patch wrapped around a Parker Hale style jag. That I work back and forth with particular emphasis on the throat area.

I got this process from @Frank Green of Bartlein Barrels (actually, if I got it wrong in any way blame me for not understanding Frank correctly).

Cheers

I let it sit overnight…like that. Just keep the mop damp w C4 and sitting across the neck/throat part of your chamber. Since you’ve never cleaned this rifle (if I understood correctly) and it’s pulling bullets out of the necks, then you prob got some hardened carbon in there. The Bore Tech C4 won’t hurt anything if left in place so soak away.

As for bronze brush, I don’t use them. I do use nylon brushes when cleaning the bore overall. But I exit the muzzle before pulling it back or, more often, I take the brush off before pulling the rod out. I should think it would be difficult to reverse the direction of bronze brush bristles while still in the bore.

I do use Rem 40x or JB Bore Compound (blue label…not red label bore polish) on an oversized patch wrapped around a Parker Hale style jag. That I work back and forth with particular emphasis on the throat area.

I got this process from @Frank Green of Bartlein Barrels (actually, if I got it wrong in any way blame me for not understanding Frank correctly).

Cheers
Thanks for the help I’m gonna try this. I got a Borescope and here is a pic I’m guessing this is the carbon ring

1613ED8F-52DA-499E-ABE6-1C2625AE8932.jpeg

Yup, that’s it. Kinda hard to tell from the picture because it’s blurry but it looks thick

I don’t have a card reader on me…I used frank greens method with sweets and 40x but doesn’t look like it dented it. Here’s a pic after
6E48080D-C94D-49D7-8194-847AC5A48023.jpeg

JB bore compound or iosso. With that much buildup trying to chemically dissolve it will take weeks

Soak a bore mop with it?
I would use a jag and patch just because it’s easy to clean but if you don’t mind having an clr soaked mop then by all means. Let it soak the throat and give it some spins to wipe out, maybe another soak if the bore scope shows it dirty still. You’ll never get down to spotless metal but you can get the build up gone so it’s just staining left. To get to absolutely shiny you need to polish and my throats erode fast enough as is.

Once you are satisfied it’s clean I’d run some sort of hoppes, c4 etc to get the clr out and oil the bore.

I would use a jag and patch just because it’s easy to clean but if you don’t mind having an clr soaked mop then by all means. Let it soak the throat and give it some spins to wipe out, maybe another soak if the bore scope shows it dirty still. You’ll never get down to spotless metal but you can get the build up gone so it’s just staining left. To get to absolutely shiny you need to polish and my throats erode fast enough as is.

Once you are satisfied it’s clean I’d run some sort of hoppes, c4 etc to get the clr out and oil the bore.
thanks man how long would you let it soak/sit in there for? Also never looked into bore before can you help me interpret the pics

thanks man how long would you let it soak/sit in there for? Also never looked into bore before can you help me interpret the pics
Soak it for 10 minutes, scrub and check

Stick a fired case in the chamber and feed the camera in from the muzzle end. You’ll see where the case ends etc and the exact relationship of where you’re cleaning.
But you have a build up of crap just beyond the case mouth. You want that heavy black brown crap out.

Soak it for 10 minutes, scrub and check

Stick a fired case in the chamber and feed the camera in from the muzzle end. You’ll see where the case ends etc and the exact relationship of where you’re cleaning.
But you have a build up of crap just beyond the case mouth. You want that heavy black brown crap out.
Ok got ya. What about the lighter silver band? Is that part of carbon ring I’m looking to remove? Thanks in advance

Ok got ya. What about the lighter silver band? Is that part of carbon ring I’m looking to remove? Thanks in advance
I think what you are talking about is the step from the chamber mouth down to the throat. Shiny metal bands can’t be removed, it’s barrel material.

I couldn't make heads or tails of his pic....not even sure which direction is the chamber vs the muzzle.

I get it about the step to the throat, but where exactly in this picture do you see his ring (if anywhere)? I couldn't tell.

6e48080d-c94d-49d7-8194-847ac5a48023-jpeg.8178837

I couldn't make heads or tails of his pic....not even sure which direction is the chamber vs the muzzle.

I get it about the step to the throat, but where exactly in this picture do you see his ring (if anywhere)? I couldn't tell.

6e48080d-c94d-49d7-8194-847ac5a48023-jpeg.8178837
I don’t really. I’m just assuming what he could be describing is this section which is already clean.
E2B0535A-9AE0-47DD-B5C9-854685304D68.jpeg

Ok so i was not even taking a picture in the right place. I put an empty case in and recorded where the ring is. Looks pretty thick with carbon

Ok so i was not even taking a picture in the right place. I put an empty case in and recorded where the ring is. Looks pretty thick with carbon

Ok Brother.... as I said in our PMs, I'm not one of the experts on this board. Many others....including @spife7980 whose opinions I respect highly...are far better sources of info than I. But yeah, I'm guessing that what I'm seeing is that the black ring is indeed your carbon and it appears that you have a case in the chamber and that's what I'm seeing just a bit more toward the chamber, right? Looks like a thin shiny ring just past the end of the case then the black ring. Its really hard for me to tell from someone else vid, but I think that's what I'm seeing here:

1688949075783.png

Below is a pic of my chamber on a 6.5 CM barrel with 2,400 rounds on it. It was just soaked in BT Eliminator for 36 hours using a PVA Muzzle Jimmy then JB Bore Cleaning Compound (the blue...not the red label) on an oversized patch (1 3/4") wrapped around a Parker Hale style jag like rolling a cigarette (or I guess a joint if that's what you are into! haha).

This is how @Frank Green told me to apply abrasive cleaners (and any errors are mine, not Mr. Green's). There is no carbon ring to show...cause I cleaned the fuck out of it... but you can see the faint markings in the pic below where it forms, if there was one. This is between the end of the case neck and the angled step up to the freebore (step up is shown on those chamber drwgs I sent in our PM thread, right?).

I just got the JB recently and used it on this older barrel figuring if I screwed it up it was not a big loss as its a reasonably high round count barrel. Turns out I did absolutely zero damage to the barrel so I feel confident in using this technique on my much newer and rather expensive Bartlein 400BBMOD barrel.

Hope this is at least slightly helpful to you and I'm more than willing to be schooled by my betters here on the Hide if I'm wrong about any of this (which is quite possible). Cheers

1688948340677.png

Last edited:

You were taking fine pics in the first seconds of the video. Then you stuck the camera into the case body and spun it around for the a bunch of the time.

You can see where the case mouth ends.

If the barrel is holding onto your bullets you need to clean the throat where the bullet would be held at beyond the end of the case.

You also need to clean your chamber.

Soak it and scrub. Is the black stuff gone? No? Then do it again or try something else until it is.

056DB081-5770-403A-87DD-9728257CEDE6.jpeg

B67C16A0-75D9-4D7B-99F2-B4A8554D83EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: lose_money
You were taking fine pics in the first seconds of the video. Then you stuck the camera into the case body and spun it around for the a bunch of the time.

You can see where the case mouth ends.

If the barrel is holding onto your bullets you need to clean the throat where the bullet would be held at beyond the end of the case.

You also need to clean your chamber.

Soak it and scrub. Is the black stuff gone? No? Then do it again or try something else.

View attachment 8179629
View attachment 8179630
When im spinning the camera i thought that was right at the edge of the casing and i thought that black ring was the carbon ring. The picture below is a cartridge that I chambered and ejected and it left a ring around the projectile so im guessing that is where the carbon ring is grabbing it

IMG_9346.jpg

Ok I took a better video I think I chamber the casing while im recording so I can see better where it ended. Looks like the carbon ring is right in front that especially since it matches the live cartridge with the ring on the bullet. Thank you @spife7980 and @Baron23 for helping me and answering my noob questions

@lose_money another thing to consider now that you have a bore scope…..use it to set your trim length as close to where the chamber meets the free bore. After firing your next batch put a couple fired cases in the chamber, and use your bore scope and find one that is close to the freebore and use that length as your trim length. It will help prevent the next carbon ring from developing

Reactions: lose_money
Thought id update everyone that was helping me out. Ended up getting in clean using frank greens method. Looked thru bore scope and it came out looking great (no ring for sure). Shot several groups and rifle was shooting great. Even shot a nice mouflon ram. Then bam next time I loaded the gun and unloaded it pulled a case again. Called the gunsmith company (reputable company on here) for the second time now. This time the person guessed the caliber of my gun and told me its because they had a bad reamer. Slightly disappointed they wouldnt reach out to all their customers they used the reamer on. They took the rilfe back to fix it but I had to pay shipping their way...

Thought id update everyone that was helping me out. Ended up getting in clean using frank greens method. Looked thru bore scope and it came out looking great (no ring for sure). Shot several groups and rifle was shooting great. Even shot a nice mouflon ram. Then bam next time I loaded the gun and unloaded it pulled a case again. Called the gunsmith company (reputable company on here) for the second time now. This time the person guessed the caliber of my gun and told me its because they had a bad reamer. Slightly disappointed they wouldnt reach out to all their customers they used the reamer on. They took the rilfe back to fix it but I had to pay shipping their way...
Wow....that's fucked up. sigh

What exactly is their plan to correct? Open the chamber (and yeah, I'm no gunsmith so really don't know what's involved) or set it back and re-chamber.

Wow....that's fucked up. sigh

What exactly is their plan to correct? Open the chamber (and yeah, I'm no gunsmith so really don't know what's involved) or set it back and re-chamber.
They just used the new reamer to open it up since it was tight