• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pulled M118 Accuracy

Re: Pulled M118 Accuracy

They shoot fine. I inspect them for burrs and load em up for practice. I still use new for competition for no better reason than peace of mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasaero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They shoot fine. I inspect them for burrs and load em up for practice. I still use new for competition for no better reason than peace of mind. </div></div>

Thanks for the feedback.

What is the average size of your groups w/ new 175 SMK's?

What is the average size of your groups w/ pulled?

I talked to a guy on another site and he said he was getting about 3/4" groups at 100 with them out of a rem700 and about 1.5" out of an M1A. I'll let you know how they group when I get mine.

Good to know. I wonder what kind of groups he was getting with new 175's.

I ordered 500 to try out. I'll post a review as well.

Shoot well for me. Just shot steel and reactives with them. Just loaded them up like I always do. Didnt bother to shoot groups.

Have shot about 200 so far and havent noticed any misses I can blame on the bullets lol.

I do look them over before loading as some can have more significant marks than others.

There was an older thread debating this. One side said pull marks deforms core and other school of thought was that your rifle barreling tears up the bullet more than any puller could.

Definitely interested in a side by side group comparison so please post asap!

May not be the same thread as BigMahi is refering to but, in the picture shown for the pulled bullets the rifling engraves the bullet more than the pull marks that were shown. Unless the bullet is seriously damaged when pulled there should be no problems with it. I'd also be interested in a side by side comparison from someone and a source if the they shoot well. Things to look for for deformation are flat spots, flattened sides, bent bullets, pinch marks in jacket, visible core.

I shot some next to some new 175smk. 44 varget, rem brass, cci br2.

Groups from 100-500 yards were maybe 25% larger on average. Mine were pretty beat up pulls. Dents and cuts in the jacket. Still morethan good enough for practice and still held under MOA out to 500 with my sps-t

which ones were larger in group size the M118 or the 175SMK or did I totally misread this thread?

Pulled M118LR bullet comapred to new 175SMK. Same bullet, just new bullet versus bullets pulled from M118LR sold in bulk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which ones were larger in group size the M118 or the 175SMK or did I totally misread this thread? </div></div>

You didn't misread.. I mistyped. I edited the op.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d_striker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used pulled M118 bullets?

If so, how was the accuracy compared to new 175 smk? </div></div>

Just an FYI. M-118 is a 173gr FMJ/BT. M-118LR is the 175gr SMK.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d_striker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good to know. I wonder what kind of groups he was getting with new 175's.

I ordered 500 to try out. I'll post a review as well. </div></div>

Those were his groups with the BTHP not the older FMJ. Pretty sure everyone here means the 118lr 175 proj's.

i really dont see the point in getting the M118 bullets unless they are cheaper. I just buy bulk smks and deal with that. After all i am mimicing the M118LR with my loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thumper49802</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i really dont see the point in getting the M118 bullets unless they are cheaper. I just buy bulk smks and deal with that. After all i am mimicing the M118LR with my loads. </div></div>

I bought 2000 of the M118LR bullets yesterday for $282 delivered.

That's about 50-60% off the regular going rate for bulk suppliers.

I'm setting on a few thousand pulled 174s from M118 from my days shooting for the NG. Prior to the M852s we shot a lot of Mexican Match.

How do they shoot? In my Super Match M1A they don't shoot near as well as 168/175s. Same with my M-70 Vietnam Era Sniper Rifle Clone.

In my M1 Garand and my Eddystone 1917 Enfiled (both USGI as issued) the 174s shoot better then the 168/175s. If you have the military 4 groove M14 barrels you'll find they 174s shoot better then the 168s (or did to our M14 Match rifles), I had to issue two rifles to my team members, the Military barrels for the M118 and the 6 groove Barnett barreled rifles for Mex Match or the M852s, depending on what ammo we got.

At <200 yards the 174s are more then capable of cleaning the High Power Targets. They can to it even at 300 (its 600 & 1000) where you really see the difference.

If I'm shooting a match, I'll stick to the 168/175 SMKs but my (like everyone else's) biggest problem it Off Hand. There is not much disavantage to the 174s when your standing on your hind legs so I use them for practice.

In shooting CMP games, (Garand and Vintage Rifle Matches) fired at 100 or 200 yards they are great with surplus rifles.

They also work well in my grandsons' M-700 308 hunting rifle, not for hunting but for practice. Using the 174s and trailboss powder I'm teaching him to shoot instead of flinch.