• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pulled the bold handle off

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
Well, while doing Franks drills today I pulled the bolt handle clean off the bold. Fortunaly the bolt was outta battery so i don't have to mess with that. My question is how do they go about attaching these at the factory. It looks like it brazed or silver soilder. Oh, and it was a remmy 710, suprise suprise. I'm thinking I can just have a pro welder friend tac it back in place and then refinnish it. Whats your take on it.

Re: Pulled the bold handle off

Also, would It be an OK idea to just weld a bolt (without the hex head) into the place and then use that for a thread on handle. Pix coming in a min.

Re: Pulled the bold handle off (Pics added)

would you go back with the original or take say a 2" grade 3 or 5 common bolt and tig and bend it? I'm thinking thats gonna end up being a better thing.

DSCF4206.jpg

DSCF4205.jpg

That was my first thought, but I realy don't want the same thing sent back. I can fix it better than that for cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was my first thought, but I realy don't want the same thing sent back. I can fix it better than that for cheap. </div></div>

Then do it.

I'd suggest the best fix of all might be making the whole rifle into a tomato stake.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, while doing Franks drills today I pulled the bolt handle clean off the bolt.</div></div>

I'll have to go back and revisit that drill, I don't remember the stage where you are supposed to render your weapon inoperative?

j/k

I'd have somebody local TIG it, and it'll never break again.

1911fan

If I were you, I would be real carefull about welding the bolt, if you take the temper out of it, your eye and face will be the first things to know.

I would send it back. The failure had to have been caused by either a manufacturing flaw or misuse; otherwise these pages would be full of reports of 710 bolt handle failures. I think you can trust a factory replacement to be adequate for reasonably severe usage.

The question I'm circling is whether the usage was overly severe. IMHO, the 710 was never really designd for severe usage, but for general hunting usage. Maybe it would pay to confine future usage to hunting, and get something a bit more robust for your drills.

Greg

Guys just got one back from Nathan at Straight Shot gunsmithing,,,Looks great. Tig welded...The factory just soldiers them on. Send it Nathan and you will not be unhappy- Get you a boltknob while its there.

i'd listen to Boltripper. With a name like Boltripper i think he has done this before. Stay away from Starbucks.

Guys,
Is there a recent problem with Rem? I mean i am hearing about bolt handles more and more breakin off lately.

SOTA

Not that its an excuse for the shooty bolt attaching prosses by remington, but I was pulling a somewhat stuck case out of the rifle. The case seated fine with no effert what so ever, It was not fired nor what it anything other than the case and a spent primer, but I'll be damned If it didn't want to stay in the rifle. One slight tug and and then alittle wiggling and finagleing and the damn thing fell off in my hands. That friend of mine is doing it for me (welder for the oil companys) for free and putting one of AZ's knobs on it. As for throwing the rifle out or getting rid of it. I've spent pretty much nothing on the gun except some time. It shoots suprisingly well with handloads and the cheepo Bushnell 3x9 that it came with. I see no reason to not shoot it as long as it can be kept running safly. But If you still think that way, I will start a fund that you can contribute to to buy me better rifle. Believe me, If I had it my way, I would already have one.