• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pulling bullets with loaded and primed rounds

.308winguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2021
Sacramento
I made a mistake on my last batch of 50 rounds and need to discard.
Is it safe to pull the bullets on loaded / primed rounds?
Also, I assume I will have to resize the cartridge, or can I simply remove the primer punch pin and reload?
Thanks in advance!

If you have a puller that grips the bullet innthe press you should be able to pull the bullet, then take out the decapping pin from your die, resize, and seat bullet again.

I do not like decapping live primers.

Also, I assume I will have to resize the cartridge, or can I simply remove the primer punch pin and reload?
Thanks in advance!
Yes, it's safe to do so, particularly if you're using some like a Hornady Cam Cock Bullet Puller (which is what I use). I've done many pulling live rounds (even factory loaded rounds to put a little more precision into them, like uniforming the powder weights and seating depths). Most of the time, I don't even worry about resizing the necks, unless there's a competitive reason to do so. Usually there's plenty of neck interference to hold the bullets well. Though if this has to do with a semi-auto that needs the cases crimped, I'd made sure they're crimped again.

Thanks in advance!
What’s the matter….didn’t like the answers you got in the other thread you started earlier today on the same subject?

Reactions: Doom and spife7980