• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pullup Routine?

garrett

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
Can anyone share a good pull up routine with me? Have a PAST that I am trying to get ready for and my pull ups are my weakest event.

Re: Pullup Routine?

Curls, hammer curls, bent over rows, descending pull up sets (i.e. 10, 7, 5, 3, 1, until muscle failure), descending chin-up sets.

Are you looking to go CCT or PJ?

getting better at pullups means alot of pullups hahah
sounds crazy but thats one movement you can do everyday and it will slowly increase your rep #'s

mix up your grip close med wide
mix up your hand position do pullups chin ups and neutral grip
do rope climbs, do some indoor rock climbing

as for a rep scheme alot of guys i work like like to cycle down starting at 10 reps then 9 reps all the way down to 1

Mark Twight's website of GYM JONES .com has several really great exercises that will greatly increase pull up and mantle strength. He is a World Class Alpinist with lots of climbing experience. A mix of man makers with kettlebell work and pullups will greatly help.

hey Garrett are you on rescue athlete? Well to help increase your pull ups is by doing more pull ups. you should try to do 100 pull ups in as few sets as possible on monday, do a pull up pyramid workout on wednesday, and max pull up set on friday. repeat every week. I get my workouts from a guy named stew smith.. he helped me with my Pararescue past test.

http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/pulluppush.htm

check out the link for free workout plan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone share a good pull up routine with me? Have a PAST that I am trying to get ready for and my pull ups are my weakest event. </div></div>

Just do them often...no secret answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">getting better at pullups means alot of pullups hahah
sounds crazy but thats one movement you can do everyday and it will slowly increase your rep #'s

mix up your grip close med wide
mix up your hand position do pullups chin ups and neutral grip
do rope climbs, do some indoor rock climbing

as for a rep scheme alot of guys i work like like to cycle down starting at 10 reps then 9 reps all the way down to 1

</div></div>
+1^

Lots of pullups!!! I put a bar in the doorway to my kitchen and every time I walk past I do 5...just 5 so if I go in and out of the kitchen I've done 10. It adds up during the whole day. I also try to do at least 50 at the gym every workout

Like others have said, the best way to increase reps is to do a bunch of small sets. If you have a bar handy, do five every time you walk by it. After a few days increase the reps to 7, and so on and so forth. Once a week go for max reps to get a feel for your progress.

Like others have said, lots of pullups. I do 5 in every circuit set I do. Mix in chin ups, and other styles of pull ups and you'll be fine.

I also like the pyramid plan in circuit fashion (starting at 10 go down, exercises I do are: 50-70lb kettlebell swings, pushups, pullup/chin up, push ups, tricep bench dips, rest. then repeat).

Good luck!

check out stew smith web site.like the other guy said the only way too knock out pullups is to do pullups.you dont see to many guys do pullups cause there hard,good luck

Funny what I thought when I saw this thread title.
My pull up routine ,is pullin up the drive way and gettin in the house to the couch and collapsing.

I cannot do them at present ,but I walk an awful lot.
The most I could ever do were 20 at a time,palms outward grip, ,twice a day,but I was 20 yrs old then.
Great exercise,along with dips,and pushups...

When I get to the gym I knock out as many as possible. Then I start my work out, about halfway through I knock out another set of as many as I can do. then go back to my work out and when I am done I hit the bar one more time before I leave, some times only able to do a few.. But it will work. I think of pullups just like situps its one of those things you can do everyday. Good Luck!

Simplest and most effective plan I ever did was 3 max sets of pull ups (pick your grip palm out or palm in) spaced out through the day 5 days a week. I went from 2 pull ups to 18 in 45 days.

what helped me the most was the pullup machine at the gym, i set it to 115 the first time and 130 the next, ive only done it three days so far and it helped me much more than all the ones i did at home.

Pullups are a weak point for me, so I hit them often. I take a rope with me on my runs. Each time I pass a pedestrian bridge, Rope goes over the support, and pull until exhaustion.

I also keep a rope positioned in the basement across 2 rafters for this.

Sometimes with a weight vest, sometimes just me.

I bet more than one person has been like.. "Holy sh!t that guy is about to hang him, oh, do some pull ups."

Soooo, you want to increase your pull-ups...cool. You need to ad weight to your body when doing your pull-ups. Start by adding only 5lbs. for about 2 weeks; then every 1-2 weeks add another 5lbs. to your routine. I went from doing 8-9 pull-ups max per set to doing 30 pull-ups per set in about 6 months using this training technique. Good luck and let me know how it works for you, sir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Soooo, you want to increase your pull-ups...cool. You need to ad weight to your body when doing your pull-ups. Start by adding only 5lbs. for about 2 weeks; then every 1-2 weeks add another 5lbs. to your routine. I went from doing 8-9 pull-ups max per set to doing 30 pull-ups per set in about 6 months using this training technique. Good luck and let me know how it works for you, sir. </div></div>

This pullup's don't stress your muscles enough by them self so you need to add weight .

"This pullup's don't stress your muscles enough by them self so you need to add weight."

Didn't I just say that? I said "you need to ad[d] weight to your body when doing pull-ups."

WTF?.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"This pullup's don't stress your muscles enough by them self so you need to add weight."

Didn't I just say that? I said "you need to ad[d] weight to your body when doing pull-ups."

WTF?.....</div></div>

You can do the same thing by doing 5 more pullups than you did the last time every few days. As long as you keep doing them. You miss a few days and your # goes back down.

Might as well give an update here to you guys. Been going with a mix of pure volume and weighted and it's going really well. My max has increased to about 13 but what I have really noticed is the number of sets I can perform without dropping a rep has increased dramatically.
I do small sets of 6 - 7 throughout the day continuously and then alternating gym days I do max sets or weighted.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll let you know how my PAST goes

One other way to get to be able to do high reps of pull ups is density training , you pick a number like 4 so you set a timer and every minute you do a set of 4 pull ups and you get to rest for the rest of the minute then as soon as the next min starts you do another set and keep going till you reach the number you decided to go for .

As you get better you do more rep's .

Try doing "negative pullups" Pull yourself all the way up and hold for one count. Then slowly lower yourself down counting to ten. When you reach ten seconds perform repeat. Shoot for 5 per set. If you can do ten this way your the man. You'll be surprised how this will increase your back strength.

pryamid, 1-10-10-1 or what ever you can do, or look up the "armstrong pull up program"

I pull the bar down to me until my hands look like this.
photo.jpg

But I did do this doing pull ups and its not the first time
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pull the bar down to me until my hands look like this.
photo.jpg

grin.gif
. </div></div>

Ouch. I'm glad the blisters weren't all on your right hand. that would have raised some questions. lol.

Na I got that down, I have figured out how not to develop blisters
grin.gif

first, where are you at now? from there start with 3-4 days a week....use reverse ladders, negatives and max effort routines...use ample rest periods between workouts to allow your strength to increase...when doing the pull ups look up and pull to your chest and remember to breathe and focus on not tightening your body throughout...when you can get to the higher reps, chunk it up (i.e. 25 reps - focus on 5 reps at a time) and focus only on one rep at a time when you're getting close to your max or if you're mental slipping (the amount of time you can remain focused)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANGLICO Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone share a good pull up routine with me? Have a PAST that I am trying to get ready for and my pull ups are my weakest event. </div></div>

Just do them often...no secret answer. </div></div>

Yup, thats about it. I'm a scrawny kid, I was at 12 a few monts ago. DO em every day, now I'm at 20. Do them every day, twice a day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EBM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pull the bar down to me until my hands look like this.
photo.jpg

grin.gif
. </div></div>

Ouch. I'm glad the blisters weren't all on your right hand. that would have raised some questions. lol. </div></div>

Oddly enough, I started wearing gloves when I did this, I may sound weak, but it works, much more comfortable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EBM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pull the bar down to me until my hands look like this.
photo.jpg

grin.gif
. </div></div>

Ouch. I'm glad the blisters weren't all on your right hand. that would have raised some questions. lol. </div></div>

Oddly enough, I started wearing gloves when I did this, I may sound weak, but it works, much more comfortable. </div></div>

This was because of using a square bar to do the pull ups weighted. I usually get the heavy blisters but seldom rip them open until I put a weight belt on with a plate hanging on it.

Weighted pullups and 1 Pullup a minute on the minute for 20 minute works well.

5 sets....10/12 per set....alternate 1 set front, 1 set behind the neck. wide grip (little wider than shoulders)full extension to give a really good stretch. no more than 25 sec between sets. add weight if needed.

For a quick daily routine you can do the 'Recon Ron' program.

Week: 1 l 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 l 9 l 10
Reps: 6 7 8 8 9 10 10 11 12 12
5 6 6 7 7 7 8 8 8 9
5 5 5 5 6 6 6 7 7 7
4 4 5 5 5 6 6 6 7 7
3 4 4 5 5 5 6 6 6 7
Total:23 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 42

The chart goes up to 38 weeks. This is the program I use, between sets i come off the bar and do between 10 and 20 pushups.

Picked this up from a trainer buddy. Start doing some weighted negatives!! Get a step or something so you can start at the "top" with quite a bit of weight attached to you by a belt then step off the step and go down as slowly as you can. Use as much weight as you can handle to do three of these slow let downs. Supposed to really help get over a plateau.

start climbing....

also, pull-up pyramid 1-10-1 with the same number of pushups in between. Once I started pushing beyond 100 on odd days I started having elbow pain fwiw.

also towel pull-ups. drape a bath towel over a support and hold on tight. bonus points the more of a lever you can add.

The 30 day max (ebook) from morrison industries has a great program for improving Pushups, Situps, and pull ups, but basically it boils down to doing them 5 days a week.

I dont recommend it to do often but here is a good one: take a deck of playing cards and shuffle them well and do the # on the card with face cards being 10. I will some times do it with eighter burpies or pushups superseted at the same #. Its a good way to start a work out. My lifting partner and I started doing them on Thursdays and in 2 or 3 weeks people started joining us, in a few more weeks we were up to 7 people! We were able to turn a deck in about an hour its a good time, oh by the way only "real" pullups or chin ups count you must go all the way down and no kipping!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EBM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pull the bar down to me until my hands look like this.
photo.jpg

grin.gif
. </div></div>

Oddly enough, I started wearing gloves when I did this, I may sound weak, but it works, much more comfortable. </div></div>

Wearing gloves isn't weak, it's smart. For those of use that lift often, pullups included. It saves your hands and allows you to have a better grip.

If your tearing your hands up and doing nothing about it all that says is your a retard that doesn't know the difference between being hard and being stupid.

Gripping the bar too low in the hand (towards the wrist) will do that.

Correct grip (I wrap my thumb though):
good_pullup_grip31.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EBM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pull the bar down to me until my hands look like this.
photo.jpg

grin.gif
. </div></div>

Wearing gloves isn't weak, it's smart. For those of use that lift often, pullups included. It saves your hands and allows you to have a better grip.

If your tearing your hands up and doing nothing about it all that says is your a retard that doesn't know the difference between being hard and being stupid. </div></div>

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If your tearing your hands up and doing nothing about it all that says is your a retard that doesn't know the difference between being hard and being stupid. </div></div>

I wouldn't go that far. In fact the opposite is quite true.

If you take care of the rips, they turn to callouses. If you take care of callouses they turn to rock. Then you have hands that can grind rock all day and not fail. Gloves won't make you 'hard.'

Tape rips.
Trim callouses.
Keep going.

As for shredding hands... As already mentioned, climbing is a great way to up your pull power. I've mentioned this in other similar threads- a hangboard can do wonders for hand strength and pulling power. Often the grip is the weak link when performing pullups. Eventually everyone just can't hold on anymore. After training on a climbing board for a month or two bars feel like cheating.

Be smart and patient though, hangboards destroy elbows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I wouldn't go that far. In fact the opposite is quite true.

If you take care of the rips, they turn to callouses. If you take care of callouses they turn to rock. Then you have hands that can grind rock all day and not fail. Gloves won't make you 'hard.'

Tape rips.
Trim callouses.
Keep going.

As for shredding hands... As already mentioned, climbing is a great way to up your pull power. I've mentioned this in other similar threads- a hangboard can do wonders for hand strength and pulling power. Often the grip is the weak link when performing pullups. Eventually everyone just can't hold on anymore. After training on a climbing board for a month or two bars feel like cheating.

Be smart and patient though, hangboards destroy elbows. </div></div>

If that's how you look at it more power to you. I've done a couple pullups in my time. Always did my 20 every single pft. So I suppose my grip strength is just fine. Callouses rip too, even after developing. 9 times out of 10 grip strength was not what stopped guys from doing pullups. Being weak everywhere else was.

The point was wearing or not wearing gloves doesn't make you a hard individual. Taking care of yourself is just smart. You can shred yourself up and be smart about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The point was wearing or not wearing gloves doesn't make you a hard individual. Taking care of yourself is just smart. You can shred yourself up and be smart about it. </div></div>

Agree.

9 times out of 10 grip strength was not what stopped guys from doing pullups. Being weak everywhere else was. </div></div>

You've found grip not to be the weak point? I'm surprised. Total opposite in my experience. People I know have upped pullups numbers easily with even basic grip work- I mean, regularly hanging on a bar for minutes at a time helped.

Not arguing, just genuinely surprised at your observation.