• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar Accolade 2 vs NVision Atlas

mikefraz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2013
Comparing the two units, they seem to be direct competitors. Obviously the Accolade 2 has the range finder and the Atlas does not, which is the biggest difference. I’d be the most interested in a wider FOV (I think, I’m prepared to have my mind changed) so I’d be getting the Atlas 25mm at 1.75x magnification or the Accolade 2 which is 2.5x magnification, both 640 resolution, both bioculars. Honestly, from the footage I’ve seen, the image from each of them seems pretty even. Price is very similar as well.

Is the FOV that noticeably different between a 1.75x and 2.5x magnification? My uses would be almost always within 300 yards. I live in northern Indiana, so a lot of woods and a lot of farm land/open fields depending on the season. Coyotes are beginning to become a problem around here and my neighbors chicken coop and sheep seem to draw them in. I’d also be justifying this for a possible SHTF scanner as well for my property. I’ll also be honest that I’ve also always wanted thermal capability, and this seems like a great multi-use tool that isn’t just useful when mounted on a gun.

I’m also open to other suggestions at this performance level. Must be 640 resolution though. Not 100% set on a biocular, if a monocular would be better for some reason.

My uses would be almost always within 300 yards. I live in northern Indiana, so a lot of woods and a lot of farm land/open fields depending on the season. Coyotes are beginning to become a problem around here and my neighbors chicken coop and sheep seem to draw them in. I’d also be justifying this for a possible SHTF scanner as well for my property. I’ll also be honest that I’ve also always wanted thermal capability, and this seems like a great multi-use tool that isn’t just useful when mounted on a gun.

I’m also open to other suggestions at this performance level. Must be 640 resolution though. Not 100% set on a biocular, if a monocular would be better for some reason.

Have you thought about an optic like the Nox-35mm or a Halo-35mm? Why not just go with a weapon mounted thermal and pop it off to scan? And if you do want to use it on a weapon at some point, all you have to do is put it on.

Reactions: mikefraz
Have you thought about an optic like the Nox-35mm or a Halo-35mm? Why not just go with a weapon mounted thermal and pop it off to scan? And if you do want to use it on a weapon at some point, all you have to do is put it on.
I’ve definitely considered that, though I’d go with the Nox 18mm if I went the Nox route for the FOV. Part of me feels like being able to see the thermal with both eyes would be beneficial if scanning for any real length of time. The Nox is definitely on my radar, and is no doubt very versatile. I don’t have the budget to get both though. Is the image quality the same on both the Nox and the biocular options? Both have 640x displays as well. Being able to mount the Nox and use it as a dedicated scope is nice I guess but wouldn’t be it’s primary use.

Agree with your thoughts on going for FOV (vice mag) when talking scanner.

Another benefit of the mono (in addition to weapon use) is scanning hands free (helmet use). The mono can do all 3...whereas binos are obviously handheld only.

For (daytime) things like spotting hits, watching trace, birdwatching, etc... binocular vision is easier on the eyes. But scanning for thermal signatures at night can be done well with a mono.

Choose which unit has an OLED display. LRF is a nice feature, if hunting critters at distance.

Otherwise, I’d go with US-made 10 out of 10 times.

OP, I have owned an Atlas and currently own a Helion 2 XP50 which is basically the non-lrf monocular version of the most recent Accolade.

Atlas was easy to use and I really liked it. But as noted above, binoculars are for static viewing and the base mag of 3.5x on the Atlas was just too much for the woods and it was delegated to use in open areas while not moving. Helion’s base mag of 2.5x is still usable in the woods.

Helion has a better screen than the Atlas. Plus the Pulsar rechargeable battery pack is superior. Atlas got 3-4 hours off CR123s. Atlas has a cord to run an Anker but the setup was not comfortable for me as there was not a comfortable way to attach the Anker and I just ran with the CR123s.

Both units have AutoNuc, which I prefer in a scanner, but the Helion occurs at closer intervals and thus keeps a cleaner screen than the Atlas.

Overall, given the advantages of the Pulsar, if you are set on binoculars, I think the Accolade is the better unit. But you can probably find a used Atlas for $4000-$4500. Accolades seem to be another $1000 to $1500 higher.

I run the accolade Binos and have no issues going all night in temps well below zero. If the atlas Binos eat batteries anything like my halo lr did prepare to bring a suitcase of 123s with you. I would highly recommended going with the accolade and it’s rechargeable battery and lrf after owning both pulsar an nvision products.

Choose which unit has an OLED display. LRF is a nice feature, if hunting critters at distance.

Otherwise, I’d go with US-made 10 out of 10 times.
The Accolade 2 LRF has an AMOLED display vs the Atlas’s LCD.

Reactions: TheHorta