• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar Axion XM30 feedback

shoots100

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
NYS Flatlands
I'm looking at getting an Axion spotter to use in conjunction with my thermion XP38 scope, so I can use the same batteries in the field.
I hunt in wooded areas with shots ranging from 30 to 100 yards being the norm.
Temps ranging from sub zero to 70 degrees.
I currently use an HD19A and an thermal eye X50 as a backup.
Both have low base magnification and a nice FOV.
Both use AA batteries.
I was looking into getting an Axion key XM22 or 30 because of the low base magnification , but was told the LCOS display was only rated to 15 degrees and doesn't compare to the HD amoled display of the XM30 or 30S.
The one issue I have, is the XM30 I'm interested in getting, is being discontinued/phased out and the newer 30S that is available to finance, has a 4.5x base mag, which is going to give me a narrow FOV at closer distances, even with the better display.
The XM38 has a 5X base mag, so it's out of the picture from the get go.
Since I can't do the financing route for a XM30, I'm going to have to fund this purchase out of pocket, So I'd like to know if XM30 users have had any issues with close range viewing and performance in the field before laying out the cash for one ?
Thanks,
SJC

Moving from a wide FOV scanner and a wide FOV scope, to a 4.5x scanner, I don't believe you will be happy. I honestly don't believe you will be happy with any of the XM models if you are looking for a close-range spotter. It makes sense trying to save batteries, but the Thermion and XM batteries aren't that great to begin with. I don't like the eyepiece on the Axions either. It is nice for someone who wants a super compact thermal to stock in a pocket such as a hog hunter who wants to pull up to a field and verify if something is a hog vs deer vs coyote before beginning a stalk. For a scanner for coyotes, none of the above would be my choice.

Last edited:
The viewing window is really small on that model IIRC.

Thanks for the responses and advice.
It seems that there are no Axion mono's that fit my needs, unless I move out west or start hunting in wide open spaces.

I spot with Them. and shoot with NV . I completely agree what you saying . I love the Low power and wider field of view, like the old pulsar 19AHD with 1X base magnification and 2X power max. . Why ??? in fucking hell pulsar abandoned that hand spotter will forever baffle me .
For me anything starting out with base power above 2X is about worthless for me . I feel I am not held back at all, and I love hitting the fields with just a 1X and 2X scanning but good FOV .

Why ??? in fucking hell pulsar abandoned that hand spotter will forever baffle me .
Totally agree. Nice and lightweight, good FOV and I really like the turn to open/close obj shutter.
Mine is still working great, but it's almost 5 years old and I want give it a break and use it as a backup, instead of my primary.
The Helion is just to big and bulky, and too much $$$.

Ive got an xm22 and imo even at 2x it still feels cramped and narrow for scanning for my needs at 25~75 yards due to woods and hills.

Another option to look at is the Bering Optics Hogster-R 25. It is at 1.4x base mag, and can be a scanner and/or a scope. Here is a picture of the size difference of the Hogster 35 (which is almost an 1" longer than the 25) and a Pulsar Helion. This unit can serve dual purpose for you as it can be a weapons sight and/or a scanner.

helion_hogster.jpg

Totally agree. Nice and lightweight, good FOV and I really like the turn to open/close obj shutter.
Mine is still working great, but it's almost 5 years old and I want give it a break and use it as a backup, instead of my primary.
The Helion is just to big and bulky, and too much $$$.
-
Ya I still have and use that model of , Pulsar 19aHD quantum . it still going strong, When it finally goes will be a sad day for me .
It has 'good range' in fields and you can still work it for the close range brush . Good view screen . Is very effective Hand Scanner, easy user friendly and simple makes it so effective . Pulsar had a Good thing going with that model . ( less is More ) 1x to 2x magnification .. I have killed a shitload of coyote over the years spotting with that thing .

Another option to look at is the Bering Optics Hogster-R 25. It is at 1.4x base mag, and can be a scanner and/or a scope. Here is a picture of the size difference of the Hogster 35 (which is almost an 1" longer than the 25) and a Pulsar Helion. This unit can serve dual purpose for you as it can be a weapons sight and/or a scanner.
Thanks for the reccomendation.
I had an IR patrol for that reason and sold it to a friend after not using it because of it's weight.
I also don't want to carry around another type of battery and 123's are expensive.
My spotters and specter IR run on AA's and the thermion uses the Aps 2/3.
I went from carrying 4 types of batteries, to two types.
I also don't want a spotter with an internal only battery.

SJC

I use the X30 s a bunch and even though it has a narrow fov it is still very usable in Heavy cover. Maybe it is the small size but I never feel at a disadvantage out at 30+ yds. That big SONY display is phenomenal.

Reactions: Lowdown3