• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar eye relief

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
Looking through the Pulsar literature, all of the images of scopes in the Trail line mounted to bolt guns with the included mounting hardware indicate that the ocular lens ends up well aft of a position where proper eye relief can be obtained with a normal cheek weld. Does the new QD mount address this issue, or is there some fore & aft adjustment available on the standard mount with regard to where the optic is actually attached to it?

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 2.57.44 PM.png

The reason for the Thermal to be mounted Aft of where a day optic would be located, is because a day optic eye relief is quite different from a thermal eye relief.

Thermal optics, such a a Pulsar Trail, require more Aft mounting to allow
the shooters eye to be closer to the optic.

The factory mount that Pulsar sends
with the Trail allows the user to choose a variety of mount holes, even allowing the mount to be used in a
reversible position. The reversed position, along with the multiple holes, allows quite a few different mounting accommodations.

I also have the DLOC mount but have never ran it, as the factory mount has
always sufficed for my needs.

Bobro also makes a mount for the Trail as well..

I havent had any issues attaining a favorable mounting position for the
Pulsar Trail. I have had to get more creative when mounting my Patrol however, as its mount (Dloc) does not
allow as much adjustment For or Aft of chosen mount position on the guns receiver.

So when mounting a thermal such as a Patrol on a bolt gun, I found using a extended rail riser in reverse provided me with enough pic rail to get the Patrol Aft on the gun to achieve proper cheek weld.

Some guys (Wig ?)on an Ar15 type weapon, will just run the gun with the stock in collasped position, ie, shorter LOP, to offset the cheek weld mismatch. But he has more hours behind NV and Thermal than anyone I know, and he has tried everything! Lol

All you can do is get your thermal mounted, try different things. Settle on what works the best for you, then practice and get accustomed to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgtsmmiii