• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar N550 Digisight

springer01

Minuteman
Dec 27, 2005
Brownfield, Texas
I have been researching this scope and found mixed reviews on several sites. I will be using it for hog/coyote hunting, more than likely on a suppressed AR .223. The videos I have seen are very impressive and it looks like a very good system for someone not wanting to spend $3,000+ on a Gen3 NV scope. Any first hand experience with these scopes? Found a thread here but it kinda came to a dead end and is pretty old.

Re: Pulsar N550 Digisight

I've posted videos and other info in the other thread I believe you are referring to. What exactly are you wanting to know? I've got mine on a 300/221 (300 whisper). I use it for varmints and pest critters (raccoons, skunks & etc.) Love it, just wish it had more magnification. Ceylon with www.deltaoutdoorsman.com will give you the best deal I believe you'll find on it.

Wayne

Mainly how they are holding up. I've read of two units that had to be returned after a short period of use. I understand there will be some problems, but two out of maybe a total of six scopes that I read about had to be returned. And returned all the way back overseas and took forever to get them back. That kinda worries me.

I'm also wanting to know if mounting on a .308 bolt gun would be ok if I decide to go another route than my .223. I read not to go use it on a cartridge with a MV over 6000 Joules? Not sure what that translate to as far as a .308.

I've had mine on my .308 many times (see below), you won't have an issue there. 6000 Joules is getting close to a 338LM (at least in that area). It is electronic so you do have to show it some mercy, but I don't entirely baby mine and it has held up fine. The one thing that I've noticed it will do, and some people have it returned it for this issue is that if you turn the switch on too fast the screen will be solid white. It's a simple fix of turn the unit back off and slowly turn it back it on and it corrects itself. I've had zero issues with mine except the white screen. It holds zero very well even after removing it from the rifle. The built-in IR is good to about 100 yards, the optional one that comes with it will get you to about 150-175 yards and I have a TNVC "Da Torch" will get out past 200. You can easily pick out eyes further than that. If you have moonlight you can see even further.
dscn1588z.jpg

I'm also really impressed with mine. For the price it has to be the best unit on the market, and a lot of bell's and whistles. I know David at Armageddon Armory will shoot you straight, and give you a fair deal (208-465-3577. He's in Idaho, but will ship.

I'm on my second one. My first N550 failed right away, but Pulsar made it right with a new replacement.

I just purchased one of these units and plan to put it to work this weekend . I will not make any comments about it's performance yet because I have not used it in the field . The magnification power was mention in an earlier post ,,,, Try
scottcountry.co.uk-products . Someone there adapted a 1.7 doubler lens to a 550 . [ does not quite double the power but very interesting info . Any way I hope to see more posts on this topic . I will post my personal experience with the scope early next week .

G

I purchased my Pulsar N550 back in March and it is awesome. The 805 ir illuminator isn't special and quite frankly doesn't do me any good. I used the 940 and it was somewhat better. I can see eyes out to 400 yards and make out the object at 150 to 200 yards. I am now going to try the new L-808 ir laser that pulsar has come out with. The dealer said that it will clarify the pic and see an additional 50 yards. Let you all know.

Just a [progress report ,,,, I picked up a luna laser and fitted a sony lens pushing the unit to about 7/8 power . The scope is very good without the addons buit incredible with them

Geo

I can also post some pics of the fixture i built to fit the extra lense to the scope . The unit mounts on a picatinney railsystem if anyone is interested and also the lens to use .

geo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stuhlschuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I can also post some pics of the fixture i built to fit the extra lense to the scope . The unit mounts on a picatinney railsystem if anyone is interested and also the lens to use .

geo </div></div>

post them up.. Im interested

I've been looking into this scope also. the videos on YouTube vary greatly in brightness and clarity. I want a scope I can see details fairly clear at 100 yards in total darkness. this is about the max I can budget for a nv scope. I have a surefire and ir filter. how far will this scope get me in total darkness with good target clarity?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stuhlschuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I can also post some pics of the fixture i built to fit the extra lense to the scope . The unit mounts on a picatinney railsystem if anyone is interested and also the lens to use .

geo </div></div>

I am interested also.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stuhlschuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am new to this forum could you please tell me how to post a photo of the lens setup.

Thanx geo </div></div>

email it to the address in my profile and I will post it for you.

Well I finally ordered one yesterday from ceylon who is hide vendor and super good guy! Cant wait to get it in and check it out. Also ordered a Luna ELIR-3 IR illuminator from modarmory hide vender too).

Ohh and stuhlschuter I sent you a PM with picture help and my email if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stuhlschuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I mailed some pics to springer and rad and someone will post em 4 you folks

Geo </div></div>

I don't know what they're of but, here they are.
smile.gif

DSC00743.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

Hi Rad ,,,, they are pics of a doubler lens that can be mounted on a rail system for the n550 digital nv scope.

Thank you
Geo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stuhlschuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hi Rad ,,,, they are pics of a doubler lens that can be mounted on a rail system for the n550 digital nv scope.

Thank you
Geo </div></div>

Did you just weld the lens adapter to a rail mount? Also, does it matter how much of a gap there is between the scope and the lens?

Here is another... Where did you get this? Is it a lens adapter that goes on to the pic rail. Then you put a lens on the adapter?

Ohh I received my Pulsar Digisight today and have been playing with it all evening. It is bad ass!! I don't think in the $1300-$2000 price range there is anything close to this good. The Luna LN-ELIR-3 illuminator definitely makes it that much better. Will report back after some confirmed hog and coyote kills.

The attachent for the lens is machined from 7076 t6 stock , the threaded insert is a 73 mm lens aaptor and is readily available for low bucks

geo

Thank you
Geo </div></div>

Can you snap a pic from the back side of the adapter so I can see how it is attached?

October 22, 2011

Field Review of the Pulsar Digisight N-550 Digital NV Riflescope, http://www.pulsar-nv.com/product.aspx?prid=13&am=1&asm=49 .

<span style="font-weight: bold">Setup:</span>

Rifle – FNH FNAR .308 Win (7.62x51mm) 20 inch heavy barrel

Ammo – Handloads, 168gr Sierra GameKing Spitzer, 48 grains of IMR 4350, Winchester Brass, CCI large rifle primers, RCBS small full size die crimped with LEE FCD

The weather was cooperative for the Pulsar’s first outing, Sunny with temps in low 80’s wind 8-10 mph. This was the first time shooting the reloads so BEFORE I mounted the Pulsar I shot a 5 round grouping with the Millet TRS-2 4-16.56mm optical scope to see what the best accuracy would be from the ammo and gun configuration. Not great it was 2 MOA at 100 yards but it would do the job on a pig at that range so the project continued.

Grouping of handloads with Millet conventional optic scope.

MilletReloadsFNAR.jpg

The idea of shooting the gun with your ammunition BEFORE mounting the Pulsar is to establish a baseline standard of performance, the Pulsar is a fixed 4.5 digital scope which could pose challenges for new users and so it is best to know optimum capabilities before possibly blaming larger groups or inaccuracy on the scope.

Here is a quick video overview of the scope, I make many incorrect references I am sure so go easy on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_hOvIG448

<span style="font-weight: bold">Recording Equipment:</span>

The scope is continually outputting analog video from it’s composite (yellow connection RCA port) output. Users can capture the video using various methods. The essential elements for recording are storage (SD card or Harddrive) and Video processing circuitry, neither of which the Pulsar has built in so the only solution is to record to an external device.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Worst option</span></span> – A DVR full size recorder, I am sure it would work but not portable at all and typically cost is 150.00 or higher. Pictured below is a Sony DVD Recorder Model vrd-mc6 (unsure if it works just using as an example)

sonyrecorder.jpg

<span style="color: #FF9966"><span style="font-weight: bold">Better option –</span></span> A laptop (this has the video processing software and storage) and a video capture device (circuitry). THIS WAS THE METHOD USED FOR THIS REVIEW, note the resolution of the video is 352x240 which is not the best quality, this was a limitation of the Pinnacle USB 700 capture device.

asusnetbook.jpg

PinnalceUSB700.jpg

The pros to this type of capture setup is that you can attain top quality resolution and depending on the specs of the laptop the video will be silky smooth (no jittering).
The cons are you have to have a good laptop battery or external power supply and multiple pieces of equipment. Cost is 350.00 or higher depending on laptop purchased. You have to be computer savvy.

<span style="color: #009900"><span style="font-weight: bold">Best option -</span></span> A mini DVR (pocket DVR). Typically these devices record to an SD card and have the ability to operate off of battery power. The video processing circuitry is onboard the device so no computer is necessary during recording. The factory recommended option is the Yukon MPR (mobile personal recorder).

yukonmpr.jpg

There are a million different types of recorders on the market (Chinese / Japanese / American) the most important specs when shopping for these devices is bitrate (recording speed), resolution (720 x 480 preferred) and max capacity for storage (SD card size). The better the equipment the higher the cost.
Price is 250.00 plus

<span style="font-weight: bold">Zeroing the scope:</span>

The concept of being able to move your reticle via digital interface takes some getting used to and if you don’t have the gun stabilized in a benchrest (viced into position) you are going to have some minor variance. This will be a frustrating process for people who have to have pinpoint accuracy because the image displayed will never be as sharp as a conventional optical scope. Here is a video of using the one shot zero function.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO2rQWPwfTw

I tried like heck to zero the scope at a hundred yards but unfamiliarity all the way around proved overwhelming so I ended up zeroing the gun and scope at 25 yards. I used a ballistic chart to calculate what zero would be for 200 yards and taking the 25 yard measurement I zeroed for that (.8 inches high at 25 yards). It isn’t exact science BUT it gets your windage and elevation near zero so you can tweak from there.

Shooting the scope in daylight / sunset / night (no moon) but with ambient light (feeder hog light).

Here are some Videos of the Pulsar in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24X2j_JYCe0

Broad daylight can pose significant challenges in shooting at paper targets, I am going to have to devise a black target to shoot at. You can see that anything white or light gets washed out pretty good. I would say a conventional optic for daytime hunting is better than the Pulsar by a large margin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shnk0mJ4LxU

Sunset shooting doesn’t suffer from as much washout but now you have shadows to contend with, the nice thing about the Pulsar is that you can invert the reticle color from Black to White to overcome the shadow and/or target coloring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQBi7hs8Bkw

Shooting at night you will have to have at least a quarter moonlight to see with the scope and by manipulating the screen brightness you can start to realize the full potential of the scope. Without moonlight or IR illumination your max range is going to be 50 yards. For this video there was no moon but I had an LED light fixed on the feeder so if you use hog lights you get the idea of what resolution is like. Future videos will show moonlight shooting without light assistance. Lots of raccoons and a fat skunk in the vid, also at about the 1 minute mark I activate the Kryptonite K15 green laser to demonstrate the image rendering of a laser.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Final thoughts:</span>

A scope that can capture the hunt to video AND render a decent night image at a cost below 1600.00 total (including recording equipment) PRICELESS.

I have a great bit more to learn in using this scope. Once I become familiar with how to get the best image using the contrast / brightness / assistive lighting I would expect my gains in harvesting hogs to increase dramatically.
The scope did OK with the recoil of the 308, I would not recommend rapid fire as it will probably kill it dead, I did 4 shots in a row and the screen was blinking pretty hard in between shots. The factory says it is rated for 6000 joules of shock but I think that is a bit aggressive. Only time will tell…

I believe the only thing missing from this package (hope your listening Pulsar reps) ; is lack of onboard range finding. Like the Burris Eliminator I would think that with all the digital architecture already on the Pulsar integration of range finding isn’t outside the realm of possibility…. It sure would be unbeatable as a hunting tool with that function.

BB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSDPJtY1TUA

Oh and the first kill with the scope, yes I miss the first shot – remember I zeroed at 25 yards. After the miss I put a target out at 100 yards and under the cover of darkness I set zero and was poppin water bottles the next day.

Here piggy piggy piggy

that was a great review, thanks. could you show what that feeder looks like without any light at dark?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgerrington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that was a great review, thanks. could you show what that feeder looks like without any light at dark? </div></div>

I have your request I will add this to the videos to do list.

Where can a link be found to purchase the Bosch Aegis Illuminator?

Thx,

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Where can a link be found to purchase the Bosch Aegis Illuminator?

Thx,

BB </div></div>

I saw that video as well. that illuminator is very impressive.

here is a link I found doing a quick search.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/74...or_120_186.html

its only money right??? ha

Any other thoughts? I liked your review and I believe I am going to purchase one. Its like silencers on videos I think tho, they are just better in real life.

_DT

Guys -

Thanks for the kind remarks on the videos and review. It took a decent amount of effort BUT it is something I enjoy doing so was it really that hard?

I was on the phone with the US importer of the scopes today discussing what makes it tick. He was kind enough to release an expanded technical specifications sheet on the product and said I was free to share it so long as the disclaimer is, as follows: <span style="font-weight: bold">Don't</span> be a moron and <span style="font-weight: bold">open the scope in any way shape or form, doing so would invalidate the warranty.</span> (okay thats not exactly what he said, but anyhow you get the point).

PulsarDigisightN550ExpandedTechSpecsPage1of3.jpg
PulsarDigisightN550ExpandedTechSpecsPage2of3.jpg
PulsarDigisightN550ExpandedTechSpecsPage3of3.jpg

BB

Zeroing was pretty easy for me and I did it in the daylight. Shot one shot at 50 yards, then used the one shot zeroing function. Held the center cross on POA and moved crosshair to POI. Shot another shot was about one inch low perfect center. Moved to 100 yards had to draw a 2" black dot with pen as sight wouldn't pick up the orange targets at 100 yards. Shot two shots and they were within 1/2" from center of 2" dot. Good enough for me!!

I am researching the doubler -

Pulsar sales a doubler unit Converter Kit from Pulsar but you will need to buy an adapter to fit it to the N550. There are reports that recoil is causing the converter kit lense to move in the adapter...

Then there is the Sony teleconverter lense as described above which is touted as a better overall solution however with most things Internet nobody can quite articulate WHY it is a superior option.

Then there is my own twist I am working on which involves the correct Bosch IR illuminator (UFLED), which is cheaper (600.00) however to obtain maximum performance Bosch recommends the camera lense be IR Corrected, which is typically a factory applied lense treatment that I don't think any of the aforementioned lenses have. Also equally important is the 3d dispersion (black diamond) technology which as we see in the video above clearly makes a diffence and in researching the technologies further actually will allow for BETTER video capture when all things are implemented correctly.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So IR correction for these lenses, any ideas? </span> I was thinking a filter but an expert will need to weigh in on this as we don't want to buy an IR blocking/cutting filter etc etc.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also what other companies make a similar product to the Bosch IR Illuminator </span>(wide even dispersion of IR as opposed to flash light HOT BEAM style illuminators). Goal is to cut that illuminator cost in half.

This is starting to get good.....

BB

Update # 2

11-2-2011 -

I made an optic "doubler" for the Pulsar. I scooped up a 1.6x Canon teleconverter lens of craigslist for 35.00, epoxy (2100 psi strength) for 2.00, and about 3 hours of labor and 24 hours of curing.

The design -

A teleconversion lens will go in front of the active base lense and is a see-through optic magnifier. It will change your POA and POI. The Canon lens is 52mm (body size) at the rear, the actual lense itself is probably 30 - 37mm. The front of the teleconverter lense is over 60mm in diameter.

The only way I could figure to mount the lense ahead of the Pulsar's was to modify the bell housing to accept the body of the Canon and glue it into place. I think I got dang lucky on the end result in terms of centering the optic (see photo with level) and spacing ahead of the Pulsar's lense - the closer the better without making contact between the two.

Overall length with the teleconverter increased 2 inches.

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

11-2-2011
…Update continued
The Results:

The following photos are meant to give a general idea of the magnification achieved, don't concentrate on the quality of image between the two because some were originally captured during daytime vs nightime.

I can assure you that from an onscreen image standpoint the increase in clarity (being able to focus on detail) with the doubler modification is unreal. Optically I cannot explain how a better image is able to be achieved but from behind the scope it is obvious.

Snapshot111-2-20117-45PM.png
4.5x

Snapshot211-2-20117-50PM-1.png
Doubled

Snapshot311-2-20117-46PM.png
4.5x

Snapshot211-2-20117-48PM-1.png
Doubled

Snapshot111-2-20118-18PM.png
4.5x

Snapshot311-2-20117-48PM.png
Doubled

Snapshot511-2-20117-47PM.png
4.5x

Snapshot111-2-20117-49PM.png
Doubled

The farthest object above is the quad windows (75 yards) the nearest is the house siding with trees in the foreground (37 yards).

Next up on the review and field tests is IR Illumination

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stuhlschuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just been away and busy but will put up some pics and info for you in a couple days

Geo </div></div>

Thanks, I got my lens and my adapter, but I have not had time to put it all together yet.

how is the mounting accomplished? 2 bolts that clamp to the rail? is that repeatable?
does it hurt it to use in the day? does it wok the same in the day?

That's great, I have yet to see a hog, but I have shot about 4 raccoons, a snake, and a beaver with mine. I love the scope, just need to get on the hogs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tsavo303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how is the mounting accomplished? 2 bolts that clamp to the rail? is that repeatable?
does it hurt it to use in the day? does it wok the same in the day? </div></div>

There are two bolts that mount on the picatinney rail of the gun.

Repeatable? If you mean in a return to zero aspect then I would say MAYBE.

If you are target match shooting then no it isn't a quick disconnect "throw lever" style mount.

If you are hunting 100 yards and in you should be pretty close so long as you use the same teeth in the mounting rail.

It does not hurt it to use it during the day, AT ALL.

It doesn't work as good during the day, meaning the sun's intensity washes out "overexposes" the image so that fine details are unable to be rendered by the user's eyes.

BB

Update #3

11-8-2011

The doubler that I constructed above was a failure. It shifted the point of impact so dramatically that the reticle could not be zeroed to the new POI.

Also during the zeroing (about shot 7) the Canon teleconverter lense came apart at the front due to the recoil.

So while it was a good idea in theory it did not work out in reality.

I will review other known working doubler modifications in the coming months.

I put together a homemade IR illuminator, here is a video showing the Pulsar's base image rendering followed by the Sum Light feature built into the scope followed by the homemade ir setup.

IR illuminator - homemade version
Remember that while the Pulsar can "see" out to 400 + yards it is quite another things to shoot out that far at 4.5x maginfication.

Nonetheless spotters and stalkers might appreciate the scope's dual purpose when using alot of IR illumination over an open field.

BB