• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar Phantom Gen 3 Riflescope - First Look / Field Review

Bennybone

Sergeant
Banned !
Jun 2, 2010
DFW, TX
Written review is below the video, for those who are opposed to reading

Pulsar Phantom 4x60 Gen 3 Riflescope - First Look Review - YouTube

Pulsar Phantom Gen 3 Riflescope (PL76076T)

Date: May 5, 2013

Objective: The objective of our first look at this scope is to determine the capabilities as they relate to detection of decoys in various environments and to provide basic information as to the function and features of the scope.

The scope used for this review had the following information on the data sheet:

Resolution 64 lp Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) 24.4

Product link from manufacturer website: Pulsar Phantom Gen3 4x60 MD (PL76076T) | Pulsar | Quality Optics

Type of Review: First look / Field test

The scope ships with the weaver rail mount (picatinny) separate from the scope housing so proper tools will be necessary to mate it with the weapon platform. I chose to use a CR123 battery which installs vertically into the compartment on the left side of the scope. You may also opt for the cheaper and more readily available AA battery, it uses the same battery compartment. The user manual does a good job of outlining the steps for zeroing the scope and setting up the scope for first use. There is a modular IR illuminator that screws into the top of the scope's housing, once in place there is no jiggle and everything comes together in a nice complete weather-proof design.

Night 1: 45 degrees, no wind, sky clear with the moon at half phase.

This hunting location is in Bexar County TX, the stand is 30 yards from the feeder with thick brush surrounding the trails leading into the area. I was interested in seeing how the fixed 4x magnification would effect the field of view through the scope at such a short distance. While the image was superb, with the fixed magnification it is likely that a shooter would only be able to take one shot at the game before the animals disperse.

A rabbit was feeding before we wrapped up the hunt for the evening, I could make out the outline of the animal and had no problem placing the crosshairs accurately on the silhouette. I activated the IR illuminator and it reflected off the animal's eyes and brought out all the details of the surroundings. It is noted that when the IR is activated that the reticle brightness is effected. This is easily managed with a knob that increases or decreases reticle brightness on the fly.

Night 2: 65 degrees, wind gusting 15 - 20 mph, overcast high humidity, no moon

Hog decoys were set out at 100 and 150 yards along with a target board with an LED light in the center. A storm front was moving in which made for an abbreviated sitting but nonetheless I was able to run the scope through it's paces. With no ambient light the ITT Pinnacle image intensifier was able to provide a useable image out to 250 yards (top of the hill) without the use of the IR illuminator. In order to identify an animal (hog vs calf) the use of IR illumination would be necessary so that a safe shot may be placed. The scope is rated to handle recoil at the 223/5.56 caliber range and it handled all shooting that I made using a 6x45mm caliber AR (80 gr projectile) without any issues. The scope retained it's zero for the duration of all hunts across many days of use.

Night 3: 65 degrees, 5 - 10 mph wind, clear skys with a full moon

Hog decoys were set out at 100 , 200 , 300 , and 400 yards in a cultivated food plot. We have hunted over this field for the last 3 years and have experienced multiple sounders of pigs on the field at the same time. Shots can range out to 300 yards given the conditions and I was eager to see what the Phantom could do with a full moon.

I was simply amazed at the image brightness and clarity presented through the scope, Generation 3 technology really does enhance the night hunter's ability to detect and place shots on game much beyond that of Gen 2 and Gen 1 devices. The scope's built in illuminator was ineffective with a full moon at the extreme ranges for this hunting setup and so I utilized a TNVC Torch Pro in order to throw additional light on the decoys. In my opinion, as you prepare to take the shot an external illuminator at these distances is critical in order to determine that the animal is situated in the best possible position (broadside and identification of head and rear). The combination of the Pulsar Phantom and TNVC torch proved to be a complimentary setup for this style of hunt.

Conclusion (Pros/Cons):

The Pulsar Phantom is a well built and robustly featured unit that is able to be used in a variety of hunting scenarios. The composite / dura-aluminum housing is rigid, holds up well to the jolts and jostled of being lugged through the countryside and is designed to be lightweight. The scope's weight was not an issue at anytime during the evaluation and the height of the mount relative to the stock of multiple firearms was comfortable.

A few weaknesses of the scope, in my opinion, is the lack of a gain adjustment for the image. Albeit the scope is designed to adjust the gain automatically based on ambient light it would have been nice to momentarily bump it up for taking a shot. Also the eyepiece and reticle require a good amount of pressure in order to center to your eye, this is an issue for those who wear corrective lenses (eye glasses). After a few minutes of use the frames of my glasses would begin to cause discomfort and letting off the eyepiece would lose the centering of the reticle image.

I enjoyed testing the scope out and hope that the video and information above are useful to those who are contemplating a Generation 3 dedicated riflescope purchase.

Happy Hunting!