• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Pulsar Therminon scopes

Dunraven

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
Getting frustrated with my red Coyote Light. It seems that the moment I spot eyes with it the coyotes disappear, never to be seen again. Would like to have a thermal but have no experience, and am reluctant to buy one without trying it. Probably looking at the midrange pricewise. A buddy uses a Flir, and used it in Afghanistan, but when he sets it up on, say, deer, I see absolutely nothing thru it. Yet he claims he can pick up mice! The Pulsar therminons seem to have plenty of features; I like the idea of mag built in. Would appreciate some input on it. Also, is there anywhere that they can be tried? Can the aftermarket be trusted? Thx.

I spoke with my Pulsar tech rep and he replied:

" I would suggest either Thermion 2 XQ38 or Thermion 2 XQ50. Both have a 384x288 sensor and are solid units that I like using myself. Both have onboard recording with an internal and external batteries with 8 different color pallets. Both have picture in picture mode as well to get your precision shot while keeping your field of view below. Thermion 2 XQ50 will have a larger field of view with a 50mm objective lens."

Your style of hunting and conditions will dictate exactly what would work best for you. That said, I would suggest a look at the Bering Optics Super Hogster or better yet Super Yoter. They imo are the best pound for pound and come with a 4 year warranty. Member Kirsch is a gentleman I personally know who also advocates them and won't steer you wrong. He's one hell of a coyote hunter with a ton of experience.

As far as trying them, I know you can rent from Ultimate Night Vision. I've owned several Pulsars (5 I believe including a XP50 Thermion) and would strongly caution against them. I had issues with every one I owed (not holding zero/poi moving) until selling my final replacement before ever using it. Everyone I personally know who owned a Pulsar dealt with the same zero shift as well. They took care of me on mine but each scope I returned wasn't replaced until the following coyote season. Pure frustration. Looking back I would have rather paid what I did for my first Trail XP 50 to never have owned one! If by aftermarket you mean used, I would ideally want one still covered by the manufacturer's transferable warranty.

One thing I'm confident on is you will want a scanner. Hunting coyotes without one is a problem on so many levels. I consider one nearly a necessity and would sacrifice on the weapon sight to get one. It's a rabbit hole for sure!